Identification!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatarget

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone, new member to this forum. Wow it's amazing! I have purchased myself today a load of gear and would like someone kind to help me identify it etc. I got a BDC and octopus reg with other bits. It's all scubapro but I could do with more info. All I know is its marked G250 on one end of the octopus. I believe there are different "marks" etc. also I know nothing about the BDC itself apart from it was bought together. I'd really really appreciate someone clever telling me what I have bought!! I have attached extensive photos. Excuse my ignorance but I know nothing!! Thanks in advance everyone!!!

3a9e8a4u.jpg

y2u7yryb.jpg

9yzyvu2a.jpg

5y6yme4a.jpg

y7ape8er.jpg

2u5y5upu.jpg

e7ygudy8.jpg

vyrana8e.jpg

Obviously the 2nd is a G250. They made them with those colored covers some years ago. Google it for other examples - maybe that will help you date it. They did at one time pair them with Mk17 1st stages but also others. Plus you don't know if someone switched it at one time. I'm not really that good at I'd'ing SP 1st stages.

A closeup 1st stage picture might help others that are.

I believe the Octo is an R190.

No idea on the BC either but it looks pretty tired. Does it even hold air?

Great setup. The 1st stage is probably a Mk 20 (based on the trim bumper and paired with a G250). The R190 octo and the Air2 (3rd Gen) are redundant but you can deal with that later. BCD looks like a Classic. As long as it hold air it is fine.

Enjoy

Thanks to you both. Wondering now if I should sell and get a whole new setup. I've seen and 2 year old rig and BCD in a local shop but ill have to save up! Can anyone give me a rough idea on what I'd get for this set if I sold it on marketplace here or the bay? In £??? Thanks everyone

A whole new setup will likely cost you more than you will get for that lot of gear. A lot more if you expect it to perform as well.

I realise that... I know how much I've been quoted to pay as I was in the shop! Was just asking for a rough est for this lot if I decide to sell! I appreciate everyone's views

A whole new setup will likely cost you more than you will get for that lot of gear. A lot more if you expect it to perform as well.

I think what awap is getting at is that the regs, with proper care will last and perform well for a long time. If there's nothing wrong with them why replace them. It would be expensive to replace them with something that is simply as good as what you have in hand. The BCD looks well worn, but as long as it is functional why replace it.

As a new diver, speaking from experience, the urge to buy gear is over powering, however most of my initial purchases were replaced as I better understood what I needed and wanted through research.

It does look like a Classic jacket BC with added Air 2 alternate air source. Like others have said, the regulator should last you for a long time, the BC looks well used and the gauges should be fine if they are accurate. Take all of it to your local dive shop for an opinion then have it serviced before diving. Who knows? Maybe your dive shop will offer a trade-in. Used gear doesn't sell for a whole lot.

I think what awap is getting at is that the regs, with proper care will last and perform well for a long time. If there's nothing wrong with them why replace them. It would be expensive to replace them with something that is simply as good as what you have in hand. The BCD looks well worn, but as long as it is functional why replace it.

As a new diver, speaking from experience, the urge to buy gear is over powering, however most of my initial purchases were replaced as I better understood what I needed and wanted through research.

I'm going through gear replacement now. Mostly accessories like getting rid of my console for a naked spg and bungee wrist compass. Got new fins and mask too. I like my bcd but will replace it with bpw when I do.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Actually eBay is probably a good place to find recent sales of gear similar to yours. There seems to be one active listing for a bc similar in age to yours - it's currently selling for $85 but looks to be in much better condition. An R190 Octo sold for $40 on Ebay US. A G250/Mk20 - sold for $180. But it was a DIN reg with the yoke converter included so probably worth a little more. Not serviced in 6 years so could be comparable to yours. The Gauges are worth $20 (to me.) Someone would need wrist mounted depth gauge also - as will you if you dive that set. Sherwood sells a new one for $80. Or is there a depth gauge on the other side of the compass?

So about L210 total optimistically. I don't think you'd see $100 for the BC though - at least not from me. When they're brown like that it sometimes indicates they've been exposed to chlorinated water repeatedly - it's not a good thing. Unless it looks better in person.

Unless there's something wrong with it that becomes apparent when you have it serviced, I'd keep/dive the reg. Especially if it is a Mk20, that's a good reg. I personally would buy a new BC because that one looks well-worn and I don't like jacket style BC's either. I'd keep the Air2 if it will work on your next BC - and you want to dive that type of setup. Right now you've got a 2nd level of unneeded redundancy with both the Air 2 and the R190.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom