IDI Power Fins vs. Jets vs. Quattro's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711

Reaction score
As I've referenced in earlier posts, I have just bought a pair of IDI Power fins. I wanted Power Fins because they are apparently a carbon copy of the Scuba Pro Jet Fins, but with a larger foot pocket. I am a size 12, with thick-soled wetsuit booties, and figured a pair of XL Jets would be a stretch - quite literally.

I am also looking forward to comparing these with a pair of IDI Turtle Fins, just so I can provide an analysis.

In any event, my previous (existing?) fins are a pair of Mares Quattro's. Great fins, and I have no complaints. However, I was looking to take DIR-F at some point in the future and when I saw a pair of Power Fins on E-Bay, I bought them for $20. I love Ebay.

Initial thoughts -

- compared to Quattro's, Power Fins are much shorter and narrower. I have posted a picture for perusal, which can be found at
IDIQuattro.JPG

- Measurements are 19" long and 9" wide for the IDI fin, compared to 22" long (top of foot pocket) and 9" wide at the widest part. The 'tip' of the Quattro is 8" wide.

- The foot pocket is much longer on the bottom of a Quattro, and much more rounded. I find this makes them more comfortable than the Power Fins at first. The pocket on a Power Fin, while perhaps larger than a Jet, is still quite small. The Quattro's are quite comfortable, but somewhat more flimsy and apparently not as suitable for backwards kicks and the modified frog.

- The pocket on a Power Fin is a 'square' design. As such, this means that your feet don't slide in as smoothly. On the other hand, once they're in, they're in. The pocket is also much shorter than a Quattro - see the picture above, and note that the spring straps are close by on each fin, but the Power Fin is significantly shorter. Almost like "Toe Fins."

I just received them an hour ago, and have finished putting my own spring straps on them, so true 'in the wet' comparisons will have to wait for this weekend when I'm at Gilboa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom