ignorance almost killed me yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fist of all the good side..I was trying out my drysuit where i wanted to be and that was in the water..and to practice dropping my belt which in this case i did..The bad side..Unknown area,Diving with no buddy..Equipment now on the bottom with the fish..lucky them...and I now have a drysuit that looks like a wetsuit unlike any other..I am a known diabetic and ihave my doctors permision to dive..The hospital did find a problem with my blood..

Dude, you oughta play the lottery now before your luck runs out.

snuggle once bubbled...
Fist of all the good side..I was trying out my drysuit where i wanted to be and that was in the water..and to practice dropping my belt which in this case i did..The bad side..Unknown area,Diving with no buddy..Equipment now on the bottom with the fish..lucky them...and I now have a drysuit that looks like a wetsuit unlike any other..I am a known diabetic and ihave my doctors permision to dive..The hospital did find a problem with my blood..

Wow,
I don't mean to be rude, but diving solo in a place you didn't know when you're a diabetic is absoutely stupid. Thats asking for an accident to happen. You are very very lucky, and I hope this has been a lesson well learned.

Darryl

Did you have a hypo? What was your blood sugar before you dived?

I always dive with a buddy who knows about my diabetes and what to do if i have a hypo whilst underwater. But it's your call as to what you want to do. I know several people with diabetes who never admit they have diabetes before a dive.

Please tell us this wasn't because of your diabetes :( .

:eek:

Snuggle,

Sorry to hear about your experiance and I'm glad to be able to hear it from you directly. At what point did you lose track of what happened. What depth were you diving at or should we say accending when things started to go bad. Did you have a computer to go back and look at the profile or was it lost when the fisherman pulled you to safety. Was it something that happened due to your being a diving diabetic or the diving itself.

Hope you doing well and we can all learn from this!

Geek

Just as I guessed the diabetic police are out already :(

Snuggle please let us know if this was related to your diabetes

snuggle once bubbled...
......Equipment now on the bottom with the fish..lucky them...and I now have a drysuit that looks like a wetsuit unlike any other.....

At least he still has a sense of humor after all the grilling he is taking in this thread....he is more than welcome to dive with me.

O-ring & UP - I hope you're happy, I just work my daughter up from her nap...we need some sort of alert system for this board.

a frozen reg.

Does whoever is treating your diabetes still think it's okay for you to dive after this incident? You might want to rethink that one. At least, you might want to rethink diving solo. Although it might only be blind luck that saves you the next time it happens under water, even with a buddy right there, and even if the buddy is trained in how to deal with a diabetic seizure.

I have no idea if there are any data on whether diving has any impact on the incidence of diabetic seizures, although it certainly seems that there could be a relationship.

thanks big-t for the vote of confidence..

WJL

Most people with diabetes will recognise the signs of a hypo long before they go into coma and are capable of signalling to their buddy that they need to surface before there is any real danger. I would guess that people with poor hypo warning would not be allowed to dive by their docs. As I and the people with diabetes that I know who dive always check their blood glucose before they dive there is little chance of a hypo anyway. I usually go in on 10 and surface on 7, sorry I don't know the US figures.

This subject has been done many times but it still makes me mad because I don't quite fit the box I am danagerous to me and others! In truth I know more about my fittest to dive than most, I am always extremely aware of the conditions and what they will be doing to my sugar levels and I never dive unless I am 100% happy with my sugar levels. I am married to my buddy so I guess he is well always of the signs of a hypo :rolleyes:

I believe that this culture of blaming people with diabetes before they have done anything wrong is encouraging people with diabetes not to say that they have diabetes (too many diabetes in one sentence!). This is when things get dangerous.

Come on Snuggles tell us if this was due to your diabetes and if you did check before you went in. If you didn't well you didn't, you've lived to know better next time:(

Back
Top Bottom