I'm a newbie: What do I need in a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.K, ya got me. Specifically, I own a house in Oceanside but I work in L.A., and stay with my GF most of the time.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!! Oceanside is not L.A. Thank goodness! Oceanside is paradise, L.A. is hell :cool2:

LA is Hell...you originally from Norcal? :)

Let me know what you get, perhaps we can meet up on a dive on the Yukon and compare equipment. I am dying to get in the water with my new gear. Oh, and in case you didn't notice, most techies/DIR's frown on air 2/safe seconds. I have a air2 from my zeagle and have been debating on transferring it to my Halcyon or putting another 2nd stage on my rig and go the traditional octo route. I think there are good reasons for either route, but pairing up the safe second, etc on a bp&w would definitely be rare...

Be careful when splitting up your gear when going to Belize. When i went to Utila, the last leg required transferring to a 20 seater twin engine turboprop. As the plane was full, not all of the passenger luggage would fit. As we have experienced this before, we tipped the crew to ensure we got all our stuff on board. Some people were not so lucky and had to wait 1-2 days for the ferry to bring the baggage that was left behind. Malo....

Tropic will ship all your gear the same day. Maybe not on the same plane as you, but no more than an hour or two afterwards. And if they ship it after you they'll take it to your hotel. As to weight limits, they'll take anything you were able to bring on an airliner. Also, so long as you're booked with them beforehand they'll hold a plane back for you even if your inwards flight is very late.

Where are you staying and who diving with?

All that does is remove the lift component of the drysuit - IF totally flooded. It doesn't add to your weight, except climbing out of the water at the end, when lift from a wing is no longer an issue. If you are weighted and 'winged' without consideration of the DS, you will be fine. You will just add more weight for the (unflooded). SNIP!
This is fantastic help. I didn't understand the "no comment" on transferring my SS until I read a few more posts. Keep in mind, I'm a real noob (OW cert in April and 15 dives total - including checkout dives). And I'm 98% certain there's no tech/doubles/deco diving in my future. I like fishies. I'm only considering the BP/W because everyone who starts or switches to one loves it, and I like to buy one really good setup and use it to death. My last two cars had over 250,000 miles on each.

Also, I'm already running into the problem of diving 50/50 tropics and cold water, so I don't want to buy two different rigs.

Once again, GREAT & HELPFUL advice. The one common thread through everyone's posts is Tobin. Clearly I can see the pattern. And those guys are so close, it'll be a fun afternoon to mosey over there.

LA is Hell...you originally from Norcal? :)
Nope. Moved from the east coast to L.A., then down to SD for about 5 years then back to L.A. After living in Oceanside, it's clear that L.A. is hell :):):)
In case you didn't notice, most techies/DIR's frown on air 2/safe seconds.
I didn't know - I'm a noob. Thanks. Now I know to give a look of disdain when I see a tech rig with a SS :shocked2:
Be careful when splitting up your gear when going to Belize. - SNIP! - we tipped the crew to ensure we got all our stuff on board.
Great advice. I was diving on the GBR in May, and all the advice on this board said to carry on the reg, computer and mask - the other stuff is secondary. So that's what I did/will be doing.

You guys are all great. The advice is fantastic. The board is terrific (and I told them so in person at the Long Beach Dive Show - Scubaboard.com had a booth).

Thanks again...

Tropic will ship all your gear the same day. Maybe not on the same plane as you, but no more than an hour or two afterwards. And if they ship it after you they'll take it to your hotel. As to weight limits, they'll take anything you were able to bring on an airliner. Also, so long as you're booked with them beforehand they'll hold a plane back for you even if your inwards flight is very late.

Where are you staying and who diving with?
Thanks for the inside info :eyebrow:

There's approximately 30 of us. The deal was put together by my LDS.

We're staying at the Mayan Princess. Everyone gets a waterfront room.

We're diving with Amigos Del Mar.

Any insights?

If I get time (and I think we will) I'd love to meet you. I've read A LOT of your posts.

mike

Including my views on backplates?!

I've never stayed in Mayan Princess but it was managed by my next door neighbours. Given their characters I'm sure it runs like clockwork. My only concern might be noise from the beach bars late at night, but I don't really know.

Amigos is the "IBM" of San Pedro diving. They've had the best reputation for many years. You won't go wrong.

Cholos bar, just off the end of their dock, is a favourite watering hole. When you know how your time's going give me a call on 620-1080 (local cell phone) and we'll meet up.

You're just round the corner from Manelli's ice cream parlour, near the top end of Front Street. Good place. In exactly the same place on the next street over, Middle Street, is DandE's ice cream parlour, which IMO is a little bit special. We could also meet there. Open 2pm-10pm, closed Tuesdays.

Are you nitrox certified? Amigos is one of the operators which produces 32%.

Including my views on backplates?!
I'm in no hurry to get one. I'll be taking my jacket with me - a Scubapro Glide Plus - which I really like. We'll talk about BP/W's when I see you. Maybe you want to sell one of your 10?
Are you nitrox certified? Amigos is one of the operators which produces 32%.
Not yet, but my instructor (who is leading this trip) keeps asking. He's big on nitrox so I'm guessing that's one reason he's going with ADM.

Thanks for the tips on ice cream (my favorite desert) - I'll see you there - I'll call when we're in town. Again, it will be July 20-25. Two dives a day before noon, then we have the rest of the day to ourselves.

mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom