I'm a rec instructor. I want to be a tec instructor. No tec experience. I'm gonna need your help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How can I develop a long term obsession with tec diving without taking these courses?
You are confusing taking courses to become a tech diver, with taking courses to instruct tech diving. You asked about the latter.

The former comes first....and the latter may not ever happen....but you MUST have both the tech courses under your belt, and LOTS of tech diving experience before you talk about instructing tech diving.

Cameron,
I don't think the OP is a troll. I think his interest in a new challenge is genuine. I think his desire to waste as little time as possible in learning his new endeavor is understandable.
We don't know what we don't know, and he had the courage to say that.
Perhaps his biggest mistakes were to be blunt (Dunning Kruger and all), and to not do some investigating on his own before asking questions like this in an advanced forum. Me, I don't even answer questions that show no evidence of preparation. I think folks have an obligation to do their homework before asking for help and advice. As it turns out, the OP apparently does have teaching, Nitrox and BP/W experience (as his subsequent posts finally proved), but unfortunately his first questions were not very nuanced, and he then took offense at being misunderstood.
So thank you, sir, for taking the time to make such a thoughtful response. We all can learn from your example.

Where are you located? What are you wanting do? Cave, wreck or just deep dives?
Southeast Asia. Cave diving is not noteworthy or in demand. Lots of wrecks, but no complex penetration. I'm interested in deep diving.

For reference, from intro skills to hypoxic trimix was 4 years and around 300 dives for me and I consider myself a bit of a "natural" in the water. That's just to become a beginner trimix diver. I've dove with zero to hero tech instructors. I won't do any dive with them that I wouldn't do solo.

I don't know why some folks here are having a difficult time with the OP; We, at least I do, know that many instructors go through technical diver training and immediately go through the technical instructor training with almost no gap in between the training (few days at the most). It isn't a surprise. I don't agree with this concept at all but the practice is there and common amongest most big name "technical diving" organizations in many countries around the world.

Some of these training organizations are the biggest liars and hypocrites.

Southeast Asia. Cave diving is not noteworthy or in demand. Lots of wrecks, but no complex penetration. I'm interested in deep diving.

I am not familiar with that area so I really can't help. I know there are some caves in some of the countries. I would recommend a cavern class in Mexico and I think you will find out you have a long way to go and that becoming an instructor will take time.

OK, I AM FASCINATED. Haven't read anything like this for years... well, a year at least... I've been busy.
Anyhow, OP, I'm gonna call your bluff/********/innocent request. If you can get your arse to Mexico in March (contact me for dates) I'll put you through a cavern class and access your readiness to become a technical diver... charge will be $1 but you'll pay your expenses.

Training@techdivertraining.org will get to me.

Anyone else need all these Tech cert cards in a hurry as I'm warming up the laminator now?

OK, I AM FASCINATED. Haven't read anything like this for years... well, a year at least... I've been busy.
Anyhow, OP, I'm gonna call your bluff/********/innocent request. If you can get your arse to Mexico in March (contact me for dates) I'll put you through a cavern class and access your readiness to become a technical diver... charge will be $1 but you'll pay your expenses.

Training@techdivertraining.org will get to me.
@Maybe
Do this! It will be the best $1 you have ever spent. This is apparently a serious offer from a VERY good technical instructor. You won't do better than this to find out if you have a technical future....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom