I'm planning a trip to West Palm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EXCELLENT diving in that general area. Of course that is because it is the type diving that I personally like.

Excellent diving 20 miles north of West Palm in Jupiter

Excellent diving 20 miles south of West Palm in Boynton Beach

Here is a link with some photos and videos I took in Boynton Beach and Jupiter

Nothing wrong with West Palm. I dove there a LOT many years ago

Here are some alternatives (if needed):

Boynton Boats:

Pelican Charters

Loggerhead Charters

Underwater Explorers <- Very well liked. Good guy.

Deeper <- Killer boat. Tons of experience. Fabulous crew.

The Jupiter Florida Dive Center has two very nice boats. The boats are parked only a few feet from the rear door of the dive center. The one I was on had one ladder, in the center, and it is a "fins on" ladder. The boat has a nice water level rear platform that is about 30 inches wide and runs the length of the rear of the boat. They have two aluminum hand rails for personal support while boarding the boat after the dive. The head is clean and the boat is un-cluttered. The boat Captain is high above on a bridge. The tank securing arrangement is in excellent condition and there is plenty of seating. The boat is wide and divers can enter the water on both sides of the ladder at the same time. All in all, two very nice dive boats. Professional operation. Highly recommended!

Jupiter Dive Center
<- Two large dive boats parked right behind dive shop

Last edited:
My husband Chuck and I are dive masters with Scuba Works in Jupiter. Blue Tang is a super fast island hopper and NON-CATTLE boat. We have plenty of lionfish in Jupiter just waiting to make it to your dinner plate. Chuck and I have some neat lionfish eradication devices you can borrow if you want to plunk one of these nasty little beasts. My buddy Randy makes them and they work really well.

lion fish liontamer

PM me when you are coming to town. The shop has plenty of steel 100s available.

I thank all of you for all your great responses.
Wow, what a welcoming commitee!
Now I just have to plan my trip.

U jus gotta luv gettin' on the inside with SB!

What are the general weather and ocean conditions like in July?
I'm guessing hot & humid and water in the high 70's low 80's?
My wife has the month of July off from her job so that would be the only time we could go.

I don't really care about weather or ocean conditions. Anything's better than where I dive.
Like I said, I'm used to 46 degree water, 5 to 15 foot vis, and lot's of surg/swell. Drift diving will be new to me but I do know how to shoot bags and all that. I'll need to practice up though.

Yes, those are the conditions, the water is so blissful that warm water wimp me doesn't even need a wetsuit. You're going to love it!

July.
Getting hot.
I typically dive in just an Aeroskin polyolefin full body suit from late May until around Thanksgiving.
After that I wear a 3/2 wetsuit over it and very occasionally a chest/hood combo as a third layer.
Water temps range from 80 to 88 degrees typically from Jupiter to Key Weird in July.
This being said, we have had in the past a cold water upwelling that can drop the water for very limited periods of time at depth into the 60's. This is rare.
I have a couple of friends that use a 1 mil suit in the warmer months.
Many of my regular buddies will stay in a 3 mil all Summer.
Chug
Hot blooded (insulated).

You will love diving in South Florida. Most of the diving is drift diving and the charter boats are excellent. You will need to deploy your SMB for pickup at the end of your dive, if you come-up ahead of the dive guide.

Check out Randy Jordan on Emerald Charters in www.emeraldcharters.com Jupiter - inventor of the liontamer www.liontamerusa.com and a very patient instructor, he'll even filet them and serve lionfish sashimi on the boat. Jupiter diving is deeper with more current than just a bit south in WPB

In WPB, the following are great:
A few sites (among the many) not to miss in WPB include the Corridor/Governor's walk, Breakers Reef, Juno Ledge, Shark Canyon.

Further south about 30-45 mins in Boynton Beach, is Underwater Explorers. www.diveboyntonbeach.com with SB's own ScubaKevDM and Wilsway who will take you to some awesome dive sites like the Castor, and Delray Ledges.

You'll have a blast! :D

All good and safe operators EXCEPT NARCOSIS! The vessel is owned and operated by a capt. who operates the boat recklessly and endangers divers.

Seriously.

When drift diving you do not shoot a bag. (but the experience will be helpful)

What you do is unwind a tether as you descend. When you level-off at 5 feet above the bottom, you drag the surface float-n-flag behind you. When you ascend, you slowly wind in the tether.

Once you get the hang of it, drift diving is an excellent form of diving in my opinion. It eliminates the anchored boat and the need to descend an ascend an anchor line.

If you go in a group, the leader of the group will handle the flag. You will be required to stay with the leader.

If you dive in teams of 2, then you may be elected to handle the flag.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom