Increased conservatism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are precise, but not particularly accurate.

If less than 1% of the dives done, following a computer correctly, result in the diver getting bent, that seems reasonably accurate to me.

If less than 1% of the dives done, following a computer correctly, result in the diver getting bent, that seems reasonably accurate to me.

My personal hunch is that it's sub 1% because the vast majority of divers don't run up against the NDL.

If they were accurate they'd all have the same results (like an accurate rifle hitting the bullseye every time).

They are precise, but not particularly accurate.
Spoken like a marksman.

What factors have had you reduce your maximums? Moving away from 'bigger dives' towards self preservation as training goals.
Once in the Philippines we took the wrong kind of SMB with us... Lots of conservatism the next day!

Another common reason I go conservative is when I feel cold underwater. Cold surely helps you push your limits, but if I particularly liked that combo, I'd be mountain climbing.

If they were accurate they'd all have the same results (like an accurate rifle hitting the bullseye every time).

The rifle can hit the bullseye every time if it's in a vise, not so much when fired by a number of random shooters. Kind of like a dive computer.

Bob

Precision shooting is putting the bullet in the same hole every time. Accuracy is making that hole where you want it. That is PfcAJ's point. The computer will give a precision answer but in this case accuracy means knowing where you should aim.

like an accurate rifle hitting the bullseye every time

Even an "accurate" rifle won't hit the bullseye every time... If the bullseye is small enough or far enough away.

By your logic, I could choose a target of a single dive to 40' on an AL80, and conclude that every dive computer on the market is perfectly accurate.

I always plan for a 3 minute safety stop. If I'm diving deeper than 80 feet I like to add a 2-3 minute deep stop as well. Aside from a slow ascent rate, my dive profiles are done within deco to be on the conservative side

I always plan for a 3 minute safety stop. If I'm diving deeper than 80 feet I like to add a 2-3 minute deep stop as well. Aside from a slow ascent rate, my dive profiles are done within deco to be on the conservative side
Personally, I'd add the extra time at your SS depth.

This strategy is used by Shearwater in the rec mode:
Safety Stop
The Safety Stop setting can be set to the following values:
• Off
• 3 minutes
• 4 minutes
• 5 minutes
• Adapt
When using the Adapt setting, a 3 minute safety stop will
be used, unless the dive exceeds 100ft (30m) or the NDL
falls below 5 minutes, in which case a 5 minute safety stop
is used.