Inon macro lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What Bob says! He's the macromeister. Slowly move the camera in towards the subject until the image begins to clear on the LCD before doing the half-press for autofocus. If you aren't close to being at the proper distance, the camera can't focus.

Also, the more zoom u use, the shallower the depth-of-field of the subject. That makes it extremely difficult to focus, esp in the water when there is always movement. I always take the zoom back a notch to get a deeper DOF, which allows me to get better focus. Having stacked 165s helps too!

If you are using stacked lenses, can you take one off during the dive and then put it back on again?

Also, if you have never used macro lenses before, would you say it is easier to learn to use one and then get a second, or learning to use two as your first experiences is ok?

Thanks,
mel

Mel.B:
If you are using stacked lenses, can you take one off during the dive and then put it back on again?

Also, if you have never used macro lenses before, would you say it is easier to learn to use one and then get a second, or learning to use two as your first experiences is ok?

Thanks,
mel

These macro lens adapters are designed to be "wet mates," can be put on and taken off u/w. Of course the housing must be of the appropriate design. There are two common attachments - one is a bayonet mount and the other a 67mm screw mount.

Get two and play with using one or two. It's easier to use one - greater DOF, but for much better magnification for the really small critters, two is better.

I've got a new Inon 165 macro I'm trying to learn to use. It hasn't seen water yet but I've been practicing topside.

Reading through these posts I was concerned about the DOF changes as you use the zoom. So I did a little test so I could see what really happens. This is a 6" ruler laying on my desk. using P mode, inboard flash set to 0.00 with a desk lamp shining on it (yellow tinge) and at a distance of about 3" from lens to ruler. These are directly out of the camera, no corrections/sharpening or photoshopping.

1. Zoomed all the way in (T)
165_test_5.jpg

2. Zoomed halfway
165_test_6.jpg

3. Zoomed all the way out (W)
165_test_7.jpg

jlyle, your tip about moving the camera in and out until the photo looked in focus before using the halp-press thingy really helped.

I'm still not fully understanding something about the lens to subject distance. I have a 7" length with my 5050 macro setting. So far I can't get the 165 to focus closer or farther than 3". What's the advantage of this lens if I have to get even closer to skittish fish, like the Gobies and stuff I see so many closeups of? What am I missing or doing wrong?

Another thing I noticed is the shadow from blocked light from the flash.

165_test_8.sized.jpg

I know a strobe is really helpful but I was hoping to also use this lens without one.

That's really cool, Dee! What a great excuse to play with my camera.

This little crab is ~3/4 inch wide. I used one macro lens adapter.

P-mode, macro, zoom ~3/4, AF focus mode "spot".

macro.jpg

The lens distance was 5 inches, instead of the ~2 inches I would need to get the same magnification in supermacro. At 5 inches, no lens shadow. Try your experiment with spot AF and a small object for the camera to lock in on.

Sure, you could take the picture in "macro" mode from >7 inches away, but even at full zoom it would be much smaller in the image than the above.

[PS I tried the same experiment with stacked macro lens adapters and had to be ~2 inches to get focus lock - big lens shadow. Lesson learned, without an external strobe stacked macros would be a waste.]

Nice! Were you using a strobe on that one? The light is coming from above, makes me wonder. How'd you do that?!?! How are you getting the one at 5"?

I tried this again with your settings.

P-mode, macro, zoom ~3/4, AF focus mode "spot". I never could get a focus lock on anything past 3"!

5"....pitiful
P8272362.sized.jpg

4"....better
P8272364.sized.jpg

3"...best
P8272366.sized.jpg

This one is the same settings except with Super Macro with ambient light. With an immoveable subject and a strobe, this would work! Why am I doing this?!? :D

super_macro.sized.jpg

Mel.B:
Yes, you can use one or two or none all on the same dive...on the same subject if your subject is slow enough.

Mel.B:

Thanks,
mel
I haven't really found the need to use only one. I ordered two and popped them both on right away. For me, the allure is stacked macros for the great way you can control depth of field and for the things you can do. A friend just sent me a great photo of a medium sized fish shot head on with the stacked macros - first time using them. Fabulous detail and something I've not yet tried (but might go diving later :wink: ).

My theory, pop em on and go for it. You can always take them off!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom