Insights from Rescue for BP/W users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll have to practice that with my friends who wear BP/Ws. I think it's a great idea to have all the configurations represented when doing Rescue.

NWGratefulDiver:
Good instructor, Rick ... might I ask where you took the class? Sounds like someone I'd like to know ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Atlantis Aquatics in Spokane, Chris Duncan. I ordered my last two wings through them (Oxycheq). Yesterday a guy I buddy with regularly finally saw the light and ordered a Oxycheq wing, hog harness & Koplin BP through this LDS. Due to interest, which came from my influence, which came from your influence Bob (and other PNW SB'ers), this instructor is going to take the PADI tech-rec instructor class, and then stock some BP/W/Hog stuff. He's also willing to let us do a local DIRF through their shop if we want.

This all came from the mentoring I've received from the fine people here on ScubaBoard. :D

Very imformative thread. Thank you every for the constructive input (and to a lesser degree the unconstructive input - they were mostly fun reading too :wink:).

I did have a related question. I assume that if you were diving bp/w-Hog that you weren't using a snorkel. Did you run into any problems with that given that it was a PADI course?

I'm currently taking the class and asked the instructor if snorkles would be required. I was told that PADI required that I use a snorkel for this class. The shop is pretty bp/w friendly, although the owner (who happens to be teaching this class) is not a big fan of the configuration. Is this one of those "the shop can set the rules" sort of thing? I can certainly deal with a snorkel for the class related pool and open water work, but was interested if you had a similar experience.

Cathan:
Very imformative thread. Thank you every for the constructive input (and to a lesser degree the unconstructive input - they were mostly fun reading too :wink:).

I did have a related question. I assume that if you were diving bp/w-Hog that you weren't using a snorkel. Did you run into any problems with that given that it was a PADI course?

I'm currently taking the class and asked the instructor if snorkles would be required. I was told that PADI required that I use a snorkel for this class. The shop is pretty bp/w friendly, although the owner (who happens to be teaching this class) is not a big fan of the configuration. Is this one of those "the shop can set the rules" sort of thing? I can certainly deal with a snorkel for the class related pool and open water work, but was interested if you had a similar experience.
Its not the BP/Wing that is an issue. Its using a 5' or 7' hose and the process of donating the regulator in your mouth. The snorkel could interfere with the donation.

I had a snorkel . . . attached to the left side of my harness by a piece of inner tube. This was fine with my instructors. They actually thought it was a fairly clever way to carry the snorkel!

TSandM:
I had a snorkel . . . attached to the left side of my harness by a piece of inner tube. This was fine with my instructors. They actually thought it was a fairly clever way to carry the snorkel!

This is a little off topic but I'm curious as to what kind of sheers you use for diving. Do you use the usual sheers available in dive stores or do you use something constructed a little better from your job. The sheers I have purchased through dive stores seem to fall apart the first time they are needed and I've wondered about higher grade EMT sheers.

Thanks,
Gray

JeffG:
Its not the BP/Wing that is an issue. Its using a 5' or 7' hose and the process of donating the regulator in your mouth. The snorkel could interfere with the donation.
Correct. That's why I don't normally wear a snorkle. I should have made that more clear. I just assumed folks would get the long hose/Hog rig issue. I

TSandM:
Hmmm. So was it rigged like a backup light, only higher on the harness and without the snap bolt? I'm assuming it was not usable without re-rigging it, but basically available if you needed it

lamont:
And yes, my dive knife has probably around 100 saltwater dives on it and is still very sharp. I recently replaced my shears and even though they were rusted pretty good, they could still mutilate a penny pretty well.
Even if its getting dull , most knives are serrated at least one one side. That will cut/saw thru webbing easily.

redhatmama:
Many places are discouraging or forbidding knives - the popular destinations of Cozumel and Bonaire come to mind. Is this a bad practice in terms of safety?
Hmmm... must be something very new. I've been diving both places for a while and never had anyone try to discourage my knife or shears.
Yet.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom