Interesting last names

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll bite, too. (and I'll restrain myself, keeping it clean!) :)

My married name is Lay. Hubby used to date a girl named Anita but just couldn't bring himself to get serious about her.

Some suggestions for baby names we heard when I was pregnant: Frito, Awana, Anita, May, Clay. Also, we decided it would be amusing to give the child the first initial of F, P, C, D (if baby was late), or S.

We opted for naming the kids with "normal" names.

When my friend (last name Loar) was having a baby, I suggested the name "Limbo."

Some great ones in the list, they dwarf my entries.

1) A schoolmate named Tate Charles Tate. We knew him as Tate Tate.
2) A neighbor named Rocky Stone. He was nuts!
3) Who could forget my favorite football player name: Fair Hooker (Better than Golden Richards)
4) There is an Orthpedic Surgeon in the SF Bay Area named Dr. Butcher, and he is one of the best in the area.

Wristshot

Wristshot:
4) There is an Orthpedic Surgeon in the SF Bay Area named Dr. Butcher, and he is one of the best in the area.

Wristshot
My pediatrician growing up was Dr. Slaughter

baltimoron:
hmmm mine's not too interesting, but I think it's really elegant...
04.gif
Abravanel "Ahh-brahh-vahn-elle", but I have seen some Abarbanel's and Abarvanels's in Baltimore. These all go back to El Don Isaac Abravanel, one of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabela's cheif advisors, killed in the Spanish Inquisition. Of couse, my great great (14x or so, this was 1492) grandfather who was his son moved to Greece, and then somehow we ended up in turkey, then my grandmother moved to israel.
Actually, I think that's very interesting. Your name is a classic, for that period in Spain. I happen to be reading an "alternate history" novel right now set in 1632, during the Thirty Years War in Germany. One of the characters is a Jewish physician from Spain, named Balthazar Abrabanel.
04.gif
I suspect he may be based on a real person.

And it wasn't "somehow;" there were a whole lot of Iberian Jews who ended up in the Ottoman Empire after being forced from Spain. Many in very influential positions, who played significant roles even as World War I approached. I think a Spaniard once ruefully commented how much he regretted losing all those educated and talented people to the Ottomans.

--Marek

My last name was originally spelled Bullough - I don't really know what it means or what its intended meaning was but he was from Ireland so any inquisitive mind with a LOT more time than I have to search and read who wouldnt mind that challenge, I'd love to know!

The current spelling, changed sometime after 1699 when my namesakes children were born and the historical recorder in the Pennsylvania Dutch county where they lived wrote the name as Bulla, would mean "Bubble" if I were Italian. I'm not, so as far as I'm concerned it could mean "merchant trader" or "farmer" as my family did both of those.

Mine is Aybirtek. Let me explain.. Ay-bir-tek means moon-one-singular in english.

I know a urologist name Dr. Dick (Richard) Reiser.
I have a coworker named Sunnee Snow.
And I turned down a date with a guy named Cash, Penny Cash just wasn't going to work for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom