Interfering Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's an ego thing with a lot of people. She probably figured that since she had the cert that it was OK. NOT.

Big egos on dive boats? Shocking.

I can count on one hand the dive trips I have had that did NOT have at least egomaniac. Sad.

Hmm.

Another answer on the test for the "use for the dive knife" question.

Big egos on dive boats? Shocking.

I can count on one hand the dive trips I have had that did NOT have at least egomaniac. Sad.
(Psssst... you don't have to count yourself when you do this!!!) :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself with that one! Please don't take offense.

More oddly, if she wasn't working and was fun diving why was she carrying spare weight to donate?

. . .
More importantly, a DM who is not actually working as a DM and has only 120 dives but asserts her professional status leaves me wondering about her judgement.
. . .

Jeff

Not me. I don't wonder a bit about her judgment. I'm absolutely sure. :wink:

I also feel some information is missing. The OP said the child was diving with him - does he mean as a buddy, or just in close proximity? Either way, someone should have been with the child if he had risen to 12ft above the group, especially at those depths. I would have been shadowing the child, not necessarily interfering but watching closely and ready to provide assistance if it clearly became necessary. The account doesn't make sense.

As to our heroine, I have two comments. First, that she clearly is not a very good divemaster, yet doesn't know it. My second comment is really quite fundamental, which is to question how anybody with as few dives as 120 can possibly be given the status of "divemaster", with all that that implies. I know it's within "standards" for most dive organisations, but my word aren't those standards inadequate! I have only ever come across one person I felt was good enough to be a divemaster with so few dives, and I had reservations about him because there were so many possible scenarios he had not experienced.

Many diver masters and instructors, when diving for pleasure of on vacation, will not mention their professional status because of concerns about liability.

I don't mention my DM credentials because I don't really feel a need or desire to unless I am working the charter.

That said, if something happens on a boat that leads to litigation I expect the plaintiff's attorneys would figure out who the "pro" divers on the boat were and try to make them part of the which hunt. For this reason, any dive op I go diving with are added to my policy with V&B -- it doesn't cost anything to add them, and it's a good CYA measure.

I also feel some information is missing. The OP said the child was diving with him - does he mean as a buddy, or just in close proximity? Either way, someone should have been with the child if he had risen to 12ft above the group, especially at those depths. I would have been shadowing the child, not necessarily interfering but watching closely and ready to provide assistance if it clearly became necessary. The account doesn't make sense..

Exactly, also...how much lead did she add to the kid???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom