International Pier Plaza

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don, we waste more peso's than they earn.

If it's just a geographic location it's been there since the planet was formed.

I have yet to run across a building inspector or see building permits for local construction. Might be an urban myth.
Don I asked about that long ago & it's a tax loop hole. Unfinished property is taxed at a lower rate thus make it look like you still need to add more above once you have the money.

I have yet to run across a building inspector or see building permits for local construction. Might be an urban myth.

The way I heard it, to do a building or addition, you have to hire an architect to do acceptable plans for the city to approve. (Or you builder does it for you.) Of course I also just read an article reporting that the new Mayor's house is bigger than the city record and there have been builders spotted there. I think that one also had to do with it encompassing more shore line as well.

If it's just a geographic location it's been there since the planet was formed.

Probably not. Practically nothing is as it was when the planet was formed what with plate tectonics and sea level changes. Islands such as Cozumel are much younger than the planet as a whole. For one thing, it took the corals a bit of time to build a structure as large as the island.

Named or not, the location known as Punta Langosta has been there an extremely long time. It obviously wouldn't have had a name in Spanish until Spanish-speaking people started naming spots on the island, and possibly not for quite a long time after that. Suffice it to say that by the time the now-disappeared lighthouse was at the spot it was called Punta Langosta long before any of the current buildings stood in that spot.

I have a friend who built a house 2 years ago, her builder vanished close to the end and so they finished the house themselves. They had lived on the island and run a business so they had the ability to get the work completed. They are now planning on selling and found they needed final inspections to get their building permit closed out. That's a step they had no idea they needed. So believe it or not Marg, an inspector came to take a look at their house! Of course the town is looking to adjust taxes retroactive to cover the 2 years they may have underpaid!

I have a friend who built a house 2 years ago, her builder vanished close to the end and so they finished the house themselves. They had lived on the island and run a business so they had the ability to get the work completed. They are now planning on selling and found they needed final inspections to get their building permit closed out. That's a step they had no idea they needed. So believe it or not Marg, an inspector came to take a look at their house! Of course the town is looking to adjust taxes retroactive to cover the 2 years they may have underpaid!

maybe be the issue applies only if you apply for a permit. My neighbours have been forever adding a level or a room or a window or a door. Pretty much every weekend includes banging of some sort.

maybe be the issue applies only if you apply for a permit. My neighbours have been forever adding a level or a room or a window or a door. Pretty much every weekend includes banging of some sort.

Well, sure! Everything is more like a 'guideline' if no one is looking. That is why the taxes are so high now; so many people don't pay them.

However, if they bother to catch you doing something a little wrong, they will find 10,000 other things to gig you for. Have to make leaving the office worth the time!

I have been to Cozumel at least 15 times and five as as a Cruise passenger, we dived every time. Since the last Hurican downtown has really changed. Much higher scale than before. Dont dive from the ship but make arrangements in advance. Most Cruise ships stay there at least 12 hours
Rick

I have been to Cozumel at least 15 times and five as as a Cruise passenger, we dived every time. Since the last Hurican downtown has really changed. Much higher scale than before. Dont dive from the ship but make arrangements in advance. Most Cruise ships stay there at least 12 hours
Rick
Funny, but San Miguel doesn't appear to me to have been changed much at all by Wilma. Some of the trees are shorter, maybe. The buildings are all pretty much the same except for the naval station.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom