Irresponsible parenting IMHO. Dad lets uncert. young son dive. (+link)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the article:
After diving and training in the family pool for two years, David finally had his first open water dive for treasure this month. He has now been on two dives into Lake Quinsigamond with his father, swimming to a depth of 25 feet for 35 minutes.

That's a lot more pool time than I had before I hit the open water!
He gets the "cool Dad of the year" award from me. May there be plenty more of them.

Way to go kid, and at least he isn’t hooked on video games.

Interesting that I did get my C card at 10 because it was required to get airfills – but no one ever complained about my climbing gear on the north face of The Grand Teton at 8 or requested a card.

onfloat:
Maybe that's why I don't panic very easily.:D

he he, ...could be. Intellectuals can make themselves nuts, ya know. But..you do pretty well with all that fancy deco theory Tom.

yes, tired kids are good kids.

I am a parent of 4 and if a child is ready to dive and wants to, let him/her.

I find in north america we don't want our children to grow up and be responsible.

I grew up with a forest for the back yard and ocean for the front. My parents did not know where I was the majority of the time. I was called in for dinner with a mouse horn. I am doing fine and I thank my parents for letting me explore. (That was under the age of 12)

Today, many parents are scared to let their children explore this world, in many respects I don't blame them with all the crime. However, this child is with his parent and supervised.

Yes there are concerns to diving however many experienced divers have died as adults. Then you can die from a lot of stuff. There are the plane crashes, car crashes, drive by shootings, and don't forget drugs, bar fights ending in death (just happened in my home town) Then you got wars and on and on you can go.

I have just finished my advanced. When I did the OW I had my 12 year old sone with me. He did not finish because of a couple of the skills, He is not quit ready and i see that. There is a lot involved in this sport, expecially in cold water diving. When he is ready he will be out there with me. He is quit comfortable when he is under the water, good ouyancy and control.

So before I ramble on further, if they are ready, let them dive. If they are not, then don't and the parent is the best call for this.

catherine96821:
he he, ...could be. Intellectuals can make themselves nuts, ya know. But..you do pretty well with all that fancy deco theory Tom.

But my head fits in the "Jar."

I say kids have to learn somewhere and it dosen't sound like he just threw the boy in to it, but took some time to train him.

I actually don't approve of non instructors taking their non certifed kids, or even friends diving. It gets under my skin but I know it happens all the time.

But there are lots of very important issues to be concerned with more than parents doing these sorts of things.

My parents let me drive when I was 13.

But I wasn't allowed to date til I was 15 so what was the point anyway?

"Way to go kid, and at least he isn’t hooked on video games."

I see you've never played Battlefield 1942 and flown the Messerschmitts and Spitfires or have battled with the Panzer and Tiger tanks.

When is the last time you sunk a Japanese carrier approacing Midway?

HOW DARE YOU!!

No one can win here :)

I need to dive more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom