Irresponsible parenting IMHO. Dad lets uncert. young son dive. (+link)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe this thread is under the New England banner. I always thought New England was that "live free or die" place. Sounds more like the left coast where I live.

yes...I commented on that too. and we Californians are maybe swinging the other way because we have had so much of the "Killer Bee Police". Everyday, my little kids came home with new pamplets of things to be scared of. Fire ants, killer bees, weekly child molester training....I thought it was nuts.

then of course...all the diving boards got ripped out.

I started talking my oldest son on open water scuba dives at 8 yrs old, even on vacation in the cold water ocean in Maine. He needed over 16 lbs of lead, mittens and a hood. I used to take him down without a tank and kept him under my arm while he used my octopus. He mastered buddy breathing in the pool with no mask and many other skills which I feel are essential to competancy in the water before we thought about open water.

At the age of 9, I rigged a 30 cu-ft pony on a backpack for him and he would alternate using his own tank and also using a 7-ft hose off my primary tank to extend the dive time. Ascents/descents were done using the long hose, so that I could establish instantaneous physical contact should that be required. He also learned with a weight belt and no BC; diving without a BC (and having a thin suit and just the right weighting) makes diving less complicated. During this period he also learned to freedive and was able to spear fish at depths of 15 ft unaided by me.

Recently at 10, he completed the PADI course without any problems. The PADI course was taken with other adults and was ridiculously abreviated compared to the training that we had completed prior to the course.

He enjoys diving and I think that his two night dives are his favorites, but he has already snorkeled with dolphins, speared fish, seen an 8 ft hammerhead and seen a number of (man-made) shipwrecks. I have purchased an excellent (junior sized) USD BC for him (which was required for the PADI certification) and we will begin training on the use of a 6 cu-ft pony bottle for him next.

His younger brother is now 8, but lacks the maturity and discipline to engage in scuba diving, he does however love to go snorkeling. I am hoping that with very close supervision, that scuba diving will not present a significant hazard to my son and I feel that the confidence, discipline and respect for the ocean he has gained are justifiable. I am actually more worried about him when he sets off on his bicycle to circle the neighborhood than when he is diving 8 feet away from me.

dumpsterDiver:
I feel that the confidence, discipline and respect for the ocean he has gained are justifiable. I am actually more worried about him when he sets off on his bicycle to circle the neighborhood than when he is diving 8 feet away from me.
That's about as clear as it can get.

Ditto for my dad...taught me and brother how to dive back in the early eighties when we weren't even teenagers. He wasn't even certified either(didn't need it) although he'd been diving before Lloyd Bridges. Of course, back then we sat in the "way back" of the station wagon without safety belts, didn't have baby car seats, every adult smoked/drank too much and we all ate too many fattening tv dinners, etc.

My brother and I are both still alive, but I think we now live a bit more enlightened climate and perhaps the dive master shouldn't be letting his 9 yo kid dive. Basically, because now we know better than that. If the kid died, the dad would never forgive himself. Take him snorkeling instead and wait til he's old enough for a junior scuba course or whatever it's called.

LobstaMan

I used to take him down without a tank and kept him under my arm while he used my octopus.
:popcorn: actually, they might leave YOU alone.:D

WOW,
I have just recently joined and was browsing the subject matter when I ran into this thread.
I wish alot of absentee parents would read this and hopefully understand the content, unfortunately it probably will not happen. Too busy, I guess.
My wife is a teacher and sees it all the time. The children with active parents are the ones that succeed. If anything needs a C-card it's potential parents.
I have been diving on/off for over 20 years and recently have had the pleasure of watching my daughter (14) become PADI certified last year. I searched for a dive shop with an instructor that would TEACH, not just C-card. We also had home school classes for the previous year in order for her to understand, not just produce an answer throught rote. Her reward was all new gear for her body size along with a 50 tank. I didn't care if "she'll grow into it". I bought the proper sizing. We have since gone diving with dolphins, sharks, wrecks, and spent time in the Keys.
Life is a blessing to watch your kids succeed.
Now she wants to fly my balloon!
My point?
LEAVE THIS GUY ALONE! HE KNOWS BEST.

I think there is some mis information in the article.. Earlier it states the father would NOT dive until he [son] passed the tests... then it says his son is the youngest to pass the tests.. Later is says somthing about his son being to young to pass the written test??

I think the third part might be talking about his little brother??

Anyway.. the dad has more insight knowledge about his kids than any of us..

I say great for them, congratulations.. Enjoy!

Great first post... I especially liked this part...

jeffbrenhaug:
... If anything needs a C-card it's potential parents....

JimLap:
And I'm so bad because i taught my son to shoot at age 3. By the time he was 5 he was shooting my .357 with .38 loads..
Congratulations on teaching your son to kill. I wish my parents had gotten me that Uzi I always asked for...[SARCASM]:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom