Is Deep Air / Light Deco (bounce?) Discussible on ScubaBoard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting ... by your own admission you've been below 130 feet exactly three times in your life ... making knowone's prior appeal to your vast decades of experience completely meaningless in the context of this topic. But I'm curious what you're breathing down there? In order to hit a PPO2 of 2.0 ATA's, you'd have to be breathing EAN40 at that depth.

Do you really do that?

How often have you actually gone into deco?

From what depth?

What were you using for deco gas on the ascent?

At what depth did you make your switch?

Sitting around a table with Dick Rutkowski and other diving gods 20 years ago is all well and good ... but what did you really learn? I went to dinner once with John Chatterton, but frankly that didn't teach me anything about wreck diving. More to the point, if in 20 years you only put what was discussed into practice three times, how much do you really remember ... or understand ... about what was said?

Emile's prior appeal to authority on your behalf falls a bit short ... granted I have been diving fewer years than you have ... but when it comes to diving below 40M ... which was the topic you chose for this thread ... you have less than 1% of my experience.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Working just on the bottom "semi" paragraph; perhaps the message knowone is hearing and knowone is saying is that recreational divers with decades of diving prefer to have at least "some" recreational experts advising on recreational topics. The last true "recreational expert" to join our recreational debates was summarily chased off SB; and perhaps the 'cabal "allowed" old grudges against a dead person to do their dirty work for them, because a true "recreational expert" is not welcome where the tone seems to be a re-writing of the history of recreational diving.

Has knowone claimed either he or I are the one's to give anybody deep diving advise? Or are we just attempting to put out a welcome mat for any contenders to the mantel of "true recreational expert" to step on and give "recreational" deep diving advise?

When I peek in SB's "supposedly" recreational forums, often the "authoritative answers" to recreational questions seem to be Tech answers, coming from Tech divers; not recreational answers from "recreational experts".

:idk:

As for the rest of your post, which now joins 88, 97, and 101; there will be no cliff notes for you in this instance. If you can not follow multiple lines of conversation and come up with questions that at least have half a clue with respect to what was actually typed, those clueless questions will fall into my internal ignore bin.

:shakehead:

10 seconds to donate to your buddy. Then what? Direct ascent to the surface? You have a deco obligation, remember?
At that point you consider the dive, "thumbed" and act according to plan. In my case that would be to immediately begin an ascent to my first stop.
Doesn't it strike you as odd that a buddy team is diving to 130ft and one diver goes to the other being out of gas? Clearly, there is more to situation like this.
No, that is not strange, when something goes wrong you don't wait to see if your self-rescues procedures are going to work, you start to use them and, at the same time, you get your buddy involved. One thing going wrong rarely kills anyone, but two things ... often can. There have been more than a few fatalities where a diver was last seen, dropping out of sight down the wall, continuing to unsuccessfully do arm sweeps to find their lost second stage.
I imagine this would only happen if a) one is diving a single tank or b) both have redundant gas supplies, one diver goes OOG on his primary gas supply and gets confused and can't get to his redundant gas (i.e. pony bottle).
Nope, the second that I identify a failure or start to go for any of my redundancies, the dive is thumbed, and I want my buddy right next to me prepared to help in any way possible.
In scenario a, wouldn't the more important question be, why are divers incurring deco obligations without redundant gas sources and abundant reserves? In scenario b, wouldn't it be prudent to take a minute to figure out if the buddy's redundant gas supply is accessible and was not utilized due to confusion/panic?
There is no confusion, there is no panic, there is only well oiled, well practiced, standard procedures that you go to immediately. It is unusual, though not unheard of, to incur a deco obligation and not be planning for full gas supply failure at the least opportune moment.
So in scenario b, I would anticipate 1 minute to get the situation sorted out. But in practice, I have seen such things take as much as 3 minutes. And not from your average vacation diver but from divers who regularly dive at home.
That's a great reason to avoid diving with your average vacation diver, especially any deeper than you feel that you could surrender all your gear and still make it the the surface managing both yourself (with no gas) and the average vacation diver ... I'd guess that to be on the order of about 30 feet.
Oh, and lets not forget, there is a bag shoot that may be needed as heading up the anchor line may no longer be option in this situation. Now, I now some of the 20 year, thousand dive veterans of Hawaii diving can probably fart in an SMB and have it up to the surface in 3 seconds but for the rest of us, should we budget another minute?
I guess I don't see what the big deal about SMBs are either, I've actually used one perhaps a dozen times in my life, but it is (I feel) a rather simple process as long as you no longer have to manage your buddy.
Where should I go learn about that "plan one deeper" and "plan one longer" business? Remember now, the context of this thread is "light deco deeper than 40 m air diving" for "the never going to tech dive but probably will dive air deeper than 40 m divers in the world."
When I dive I plan with tables (or the scrolling display from my computer). Let's say that I've got an ANDL at 140 feet of 10 minutes and I'm planning a 10 min dive. I'd make damn sure that I have a plan for a 140 for 10 dive, and a 150 for 15 dive. If anything goes wrong, I make sure that I am up and out and I decompress according to the 150 for 15 schedule (which I have calculated gas requirements for me and my buddy for). If I am outside of 150 for 15, all I can do is follow the 150 for 15 schedule and stop at 10 on my way up where I would empty my tank (or use my computer if it is working).
It's a "no biggie" for you. But as it turns out, this is not about you. Or me. Its about a diver who has no technical dive training. Is this "no biggie" for him/her?
That opens up the entire question of how well trained should divers be and how much recent (and total) experience should they have if they are to dive without a real baby-sitter (as opposed to a "dive guide" who may or may not be useful in an emergency). If you use the window of experience that I use, 12 dives to 30 before 60, 12 dives to 60 before 100, 12 dives to 100 before 130, etc. for 150 and 190; and 12 dives within the previous 12 months; and one dive within the depth bracket that you are about to dive to withing the previous three months, then I'd say it's not biggie. If it is a biggie, either because of inadequate training, lack of experience, or rusty skills, I suggest being careful and not undertaking a potentially challenging dive, that's no biggie either.
I agree 100%. The boundary is nonsensical. It's a boundary that might work fine under ideal circumstances such as great vis, low current, warm waters and an incident free dive. How well does that boundary work murky vis? How does it work in cold water? In a lot of current? How good is that boundary if all of a sudden you have to make intelligent decisions to save you and you buddy's bacon?
If I have to make such a decision, then I am above 30 feet, even under ideal conditions (see above); otherwise, WE (as in the team I am diving with), all need to play our proper roles, not make decisions. These are roles that we have learned and practiced , and that is what makes it, "no biggie," even low vis, cold, current, what-ever.
Even at 130ft, an average diver is consuming ~3.75cu ft of gas/minute. That's 150 psi/minute in an aluminum 80. Now, lets say that the the divers are sharing gas. That's 300psi/minute - if they do not have have elevated SAC rates due to the emergency.
That's a SAC rate of about .75, which is not out of line, let's say that you're planning a dive to 190 for 5 minutes. The plan is 3 minutes down, two on the bottom and then 6 minutes up to a 10 foot safety stop. If all goes right you've used 7.6 cubic feet going down, 10.2 on the bottom and 15.2 coming up. That's less than half a tank, even if you plan on another three cubic feet for a deep stop and three more for a safety stop. Your "exit" amount of gas is 15.2+3+3, round up to 22, so Bingo Air is twice that or 44 cubic feet, and you've still got 18 cubic feet in secondary reserve. So here's what the plan looks like: leave surface, arrive bottom (3 minutes, 2700 PSI), leave bottom (5 minutes, 2250 PSI), etc. If you overshoot and overstay, your bottom air consumption rises to 38 cubic feet and your deco obligation chews up another 5.2 cubic feet. To make that "problem" diving work you'd need 7.6 down, 38 on the bottom and then twice your ascent gas (22.8*2=45.6), for a total of about 92. Sounds like this dive, with contigencies, needs a bigger gas supply.
We haven't even touched on gas density of air/nitrox or narcosis from not only nitrogen but also CO2 which btw, has a higher narcotic potential.
What's to "touch on" there that's unusual? First there's no EAN, too deep. Then, at 0.75 I'm sure not building up much CO2 and if I'm working hard this dive doesn't work because I'd be thumbing it on air consumption long before my 2 minutes of bottom time are up.
So no, you do not shrivel up and die at 131ft. But that really isn't the point.
That is precisely the point, with crapola guidelines that appear absurd, even at first analysis, it is quite impossible to defend them or to provide intelligent guidelines.

PS: Please excuse any math errors, I ran these numbers in my head solely as an example and would not dive them without recalculating carefully.

the following are excerpts from the Standards section of my IANTD Sport Diving Instructor Manual

The issue (discussions on SB) has to be conducted in the context of major training agencies. In respect of recreational training, IANTD is hardly a 'major' agency.

It is, however, a long-standing technical focused agency. No prizes for seeing the link between 'expanded' recreational diving and the convenient progression into their tech program.

Which of their 'recreational' or 'sport' courses actually qualify for 50% O2 and ~10 mins deco? The Advanced Nitrox course?

Every tec agency has AN, or equivalent. The rest of them classify that as part of their tech range, rather than rec. IANTD are now going with the word sport? So basically, they are using the word to differentiate with commercial, military or scientific diving (everything else - leisure diving - is 'sport')?

For example:

IANTD General Statement of Objectives
IANTD’s mission is to explore the opportunities and challenges of Recreational Diving, which includes all forms of Sport Diving, Nitrox, Advanced and Technical diving, in order to foster openness and individual responsibility, and to provide a standard of care for instruction in the diving community.

Their 'new' course flowchart doesn't draw a line between 'rec' and 'tech'. Their definition of 'sport' diving is an over-arching term that includes 'advanced and technical diving'.

flowchart.jpg

If you look at their website: even IANTD clearly defines which courses constitute recreational diving.

See here: http://www.iantdcourses.com/iantd-recreational-diving-courses.php

NOTHING in that list provides skill-set for deco (even 'light' deco) or bounce diving.

To be clear (and hopefully so I don't have to repeat this for the umpteenth time) I say again... 'recreational' diving courses, including those offered by IANTD, don't allow deco or bounce diving.

So.... having brought IANTD into the discussion... let's now talk about their attitude towards diver safety - doing deco without training and doing bounce dives...

IANTD Training Philosophy
IAND, Inc./IANTD believes it is better to be cautious and demanding in training than to have even one accident.

IAND, Inc./IANTD believes that being confident, competent and knowledgeable, through responsible training, enables one to survive the seemingly un-survivable

Doesn't seem like they'd approve of people doing deco (even 'light' deco), without appropriate training.

So, we can be clear on one point: Appropriate training must be achieved, in order to do deco. Yes?

So, really, the argument about 'where' the discussion happens now simply boils down to X and Y agencies defining Advanced Nitrox as the 'start' of the technical ladder. Wheras Z agency defines the 'start' as Deco Procedures?

Sorry... that's just pedantic. We go with the majority... and with logical reason:

1. Advanced Nitrox requires special equipment and procedures, due to >40% O2, that make it incompatible for general use with recreational diving kit. A diver can't just grab the diving kit they've learnt to use at OW level and go out to complete an AN type dive.

2. Advanced Nitrox has further demands, such as gas redundancy via twin regulators (if not doubles). Even IANTD note that specific 'advanced nitrox' equipment must be used (beyond recreational diving kit).

3. Advanced Nitrox includes the use of dedicated decompression gas, that may be toxic to breathe at the planned bottom depth. Thus, it contains complex drills for gas changing, that could be lethal if carried out incorrectly. No element of a 'recreational' diving course contains such risk factors.

In short.. the phrasing is different, but the concept remains the same. Recreational diving goes up to a certain level. That level does not include decompression or bounce diving. Thanks.

Last edited:
Is that what he said?

:D I should go re-read what he typed.

I will concede that if you go down the road of single tank deep air dive, the choices are pretty limited. You really do not have the gas to evaluate options (or even to calm an OOG diver who might be near panic). And anyway, trying to make intelligent decisions while at 5+ ATA on air with a near panic buddy attached to you, you are probably just as likely to make things worse. You basically gotta get shallow and fast. In fact, it really doesn't matter what you mean by "little deco". On a single tank deep air dive with two divers sharing gas... getting bent sure beats getting drowned.

If only there were a way to get information on how to not be in this situation in the first place. You know, alternatives to deep air, single tank, back gas deco diving.

It is almost like you are not a diver? How the heck do you calm a guy down who has nothing to breathe at 140 feet? Kiss him and give hand signals? Hell no! You shove a reg in his mouth, grab his harness tight with your hands, drag him into your face, look into their eyes, kick your fins and get some air in the BC and get moving. There is no reason to try to determine WHY he has mugged you, the important thing is to start the evacuation IMMEDIATELY.

As for how to avoid this situation:

Sure there is, YOU described the scenario of getting mugged at 40 meters with (I think) a little deco ceiling... How to not be in this situation:
  • Watch your air
  • Watch your buddy's air
  • Reserve enough air in your primary tank to get you and your buddy to the surface
  • Use a pony bottle that is big enough to get yourself to the surface and do any necessary deco.
  • Make sure your buddy has a pony bottle that should be big enough to get them to the surface and clear any expected deco.
BTW, i dive with a 149 cu-ft single tank (that is the rated pressure, i might pump it up a tiny bit further). Where do all these assumptions come from that a single tank is too small for a little deco diving?

Jax I have a helium and a oxygen bottles that I pp blend and an argon for suit inflation. I actually get them at a great price as I have Ironworkers on the job and I go through over $30,000.00 every year in gasses, so they set me up with my diving gases for just about free.

Helium is not all that safe, I posted earlier you will die no doubt if you miss a stop and no chamber on board.

I do trimix if I plan to spend some time at the closer to 300' range or working in bringing up burnt yacts for the insurance companies, or yachts partially burnt that take more lift bags and sometimes planes and helicoptors get pretty deep also, but there very easy to bring up(not 747's or like) personal smaller craft.

Trimix is not bad to dive, but why if you can dive air, I can also do 75% deco and have less deco, but I do not mind it as the way I dive I end up in the shallows, this summer I spent alot of time hanging on the inflatable and even in mid water doin deco I seen porpoises several times checking me out, sealions and seals, many different jelly fish, bait fish, just some cool stuff to see on deco cruising with the current.

IANTD are now going with the word sport? So basically, they are using the word to differentiate with commercial, military or scientific diving (everything else - leisure diving - is 'sport')?

Their 'new' course flowchart doesn't draw a line between 'sport' and 'tech'. So really... if someone wanted to make aimless points that didn't really aid the discussion, they could simply claim that 'sport' (rec) diving included 'hypoxic trimix CCR expeditionary cave exploration'.

View attachment 108025
No more demarcation between recreational and technical! GREAT.
BTW, I am IANTD trained trimix diver.
Diving is for fun, isn't it?

halemanō;6115014:
Working just on the bottom "semi" paragraph; perhaps the message knowone is hearing and knowone is saying is that recreational divers with decades of diving prefer to have at least "some" recreational experts advising on recreational topics. The last true "recreational expert" to join our recreational debates was summarily chased off SB; and perhaps the 'cabal "allowed" old grudges against a dead person to do their dirty work for them, because a true "recreational expert" is not welcome where the tone seems to be a re-writing of the history of recreational diving.

Has knowone claimed either he or I are the one's to give anybody deep diving advise? Or are we just attempting to put out a welcome mat for any contenders to the mantel of "true recreational expert" to step on and give "recreational" deep diving advise?

When I peek in SB's "supposedly" recreational forums, often the "authoritative answers" to recreational questions seem to be Tech answers, coming from Tech divers; not recreational answers from "recreational experts".

:idk:
You see some sort of demarcation between recreational diving and tech diving. Given your complete lack of technical training, I suppose that's not too surprising. There is none. It's a continuum of knowledge and skills mastery ... equally applicable whether I'm doing a 20-foot reef dive or a 200-foot wreck dive. The difference isn't in knowledge, planning or execution ... it's in the resources needed to achieve the objective.

I don't "chase people off" ScubaBoard ... I argue my positions on topics ... which you're free to disagree with as passionately as you please. It is your choice ... just as it is mine ... to participate or not. You keep coming up with these whacky notions that a bunch of us get together and collaborate to keep yours and other voices from being heard. Get real ... this is an internet forum ... nothing more than entertainment. If people don't choose to hear you it's because they read your posts and decide they're not worth hearing. Nothing more ... nothing less.

We all create our own credibility ... nobody else does that for us.

halemanō;6115014:
As for the rest of your post, which now joins 88, 97, and 101; there will be no cliff notes for you in this instance. If you can not follow multiple lines of conversation and come up with questions that at least have half a clue with respect to what was actually typed, those clueless questions will fall into my internal ignore bin.

:shakehead:
I didn't expect an answer ... except for a bit of name-dropping, you don't seem to know much, really ... certainly you never offer anything substantive to suggest that you actually know what you're doing.

I think your idea of "recreational expert" is someone who drops in the water and hopes for the best ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No, not a guessing game, I thought that maybe you were capable of deductive reasoning

1. Check the profile.

2. Check the level of certification. = AN/DP

3. Consider what are the depths required for DP certification. (in my case, 150')

4. Conclude that at least ONCE, I went to 150'

Actually that is a guessing game, starting with guessing whether you did Decompression Procedures with IANTD or TDI

DP certifies you to conduct dives to 45m, there is no requirement for you to do a 45m dive as part of the course, in fact course standards are to not exceed 45m maximum so doing a 45m target depth dive in the course would be pretty dumb. DP course is about procedures & planning not about depth. With TDI you can be DP certified with a minimum depth of 30m, so to conclude that at least ONCE you went to 150' just because you are DP certified would be incorrect

You complain when people don't answer your many questions, then you come up with the above tripe when asked one yourself. Pot, meet kettle

Helium is not all that safe, I posted earlier you will die no doubt if you miss a stop and no chamber on board.
I think I understand what you're getting at here ... and if so it's a bit of an overstatement, but still a valid consideration.

Helium goes into solution and comes out of solution much faster than nitrogen ... and therefore it is much easier to bend yourself with trimix than with air.

That is why trimix training emphasizes fundamental skills such as real mastery of buoyancy control and attention to a proper dive plan, including stop depths and times.

And if I get your drift, this is also why you're saying you shouldn't be doing deep bounce dives using helium.

Am I on the right track here? If so, it's a point worth discussing ... because you certainly would not approach a deep bounce dive in the same way you would a planned stage decompression dive.

Of course, the question remains whether deep bounce diving is a prudent thing to do at all ... but for the sake of this point, let's suspend personal thoughts on that topic and just look at the mechanics of what goes on in your body when you bounce deep.

Thoughts?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok to put a bit more of a recent dive(a few years back) that went bad a tech instructor decided since he blew it on the Diamond Knot he would do in water recompression, I do understand how to do it on air. Apparently this guy went through quite a bit in order to get him back straight and was not honest with chamber techs when they tried figuring out his profile on computer. My thought was well he did live and I think he is ok not sure if he can dive anymore or not. I think the IWR more than likely saved him, and he knew what he was up against, yet I have not a clue on any dive profile at all.

Although Deep bounce does affect your body, and never ascending fast in the 4th to the 3rd atm is the best way to stay in good terms to your body, although a hard ? to answer obviously the narcosis goes away, does it kill brain cells or just depress them a bit and are recoverable, there is a lot to what a bounce could do to certain people as in shape, alcoholic, substance abuse, just about any thing as congestion is what I fight my whole life, my ears cant clear and I am one hurtin dude. Although with a halls I am clean clear and can enjoy diving depths like a damn dolphin.

I would like to here from experience Deep Bouncers what there problems are with there body, Helium or air for that matter, and will think back of many years of deep bounce if I had to sit out or stop and come up, mainly just to narced that rings a bell for me.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom