Is Deep Air / Light Deco (bounce?) Discussible on ScubaBoard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rtee, good post. I'll venture a response on one of your questions:

[snip] Should deco be discussed in greater detail in more basic diving classes? I personally think so, as it is something they should not fear but rather respect, knowing that if one day something does happen while they dive, it will not mean that their entire world will become all loom and gloom and as long as they follow some basic principles they should be OK...Should as any dive table or dive computer manual ever produced always contain that so popular notice that even if you follow these to the letter, it does not guarantee not experiencing DCS.
I agree. When I teach new OWD candidates the dive tables and computer diving principles (as I did just today), I also cover emergency deco procedures for both. My own advanced deco training gives me a good deal of perspective. When it comes to violating the tables I'm pretty conservative with students. When it comes to putting dive computers into deco (with students), I try to steer a coure between "you're gonna die" and "it's no big deal".

-Bryan

PS. gloom and doom?

PPS. I also teach new OWDs rules of thumb for gas planning and rock bottom, as someone earlier in the thread asked. All of these are additions to the stock SSI curriculum but important to introduce. IMHO.

When it comes to violating the tables I'm pretty conservative with students.

Oh, thank **** for that then!

I was worried that you'd be irresponsible and aggressive when violating tables with your students. You see, most instructors who don't dive conservatively with students aren't conservative in their approach. I'm glad you arrested my fears.

When it comes to torturing and abusing animals and children, I'm pretty humane about it. So that's ok too... :)

I agree. When I teach new OWD candidates the dive tables and computer diving principles (as I did just today), I also cover emergency deco procedures for both. My own advanced deco training gives me a good deal of perspective. When it comes to violating the tables I'm pretty conservative with students. When it comes to putting dive computers into deco (with students), I try to steer a coure between "you're gonna die" and "it's no big deal".
Andy may not have understood your point, although I am not sure. Let me see if I have a handle on it.

I created an approved Distinctive Specialty in Dive Planning that goes into emergency deco in much more depth than does the OW curriculum. I explain in more detail why the RDP procedures are as punitive as they are and why they must be so if a diver is to use those tables for dive planning. Is that what you mean by taking a conservative approach to violating limits in terms of the tables?

Then I explain why a computer (or other tables like the Navy tables) have a different procedure for unplanned deco, and I explain why the same dive that is so punitive with the PADI tables is much less of a problem with those other dive planning tools.

I worded all of this carefully after being inspired by several SB threads in which divers made a panicked ascent to the surface when they saw they had approached or surpassed NDLs. I had just such an experience myself when a very experienced dive buddy suddenly rtook off to the surface because he had come close to deco. On the surface, he described--wild eyed--how close he had come. I therefore worded my academic materials in such a way that they told divers to be very careful to avoid deco but, once in it, to react calmly and follow the appropriate procedures. Is that what you meant by saying "I try to steer a coure between 'you're gonna die' and 'it's no big deal'"?

..... Is that what you meant by saying "I try to steer a coure between 'you're gonna die' and 'it's no big deal'"?
In the "Exceeding your NO Stop Limits" module of all our classes we call this "Do NOT wait - Do NOT hurry": once in deco, the situation is serious so you need to act decisively on it (the "Do NOT wait" part), but at the same time you need to follow proper safe ascent and deco stop procedures (the "Do NOT hurry" part).

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Andy may not have understood your point, although I am not sure.
I would edit if I could, as I can see how it could be (has been) interpreted. I attempted to encapsulate a point of view, and failed. Thanks for the questions.

Let me see if I have a handle on it. I created an approved Distinctive Specialty in Dive Planning that goes into emergency deco in much more depth than does the OW curriculum. I explain in more detail why the RDP procedures are as punitive as they are and why they must be so if a diver is to use those tables for dive planning. Is that what you mean by taking a conservative approach to violating limits in terms of the tables?
That gets covered, yes. But by "taking a conservative approach" I meant something more like the following, which is the core of what I actually say in class . . .

After we have discussed the "emergency deco procedure" notes that are printed on their tables (SSI) and after emphasizing the importance of mastering a dive computer's displays so you can follow its instructions, I will add:

In your diving you may do group dives led by divemasters which don't seem to involve any planning beyond "tell me when you're at half a tank." Or you may hear divers on your boat talking about going into deco, about their dive computers' deco obligation clearing (or not) as they ascended, and other things that sound like violations of the basic no-deco rule you've learned: keep depth and time within the limits so that a controlled ascent to the surface is always an option.

There is a range of attitudes out there among recreational divers, and it's up to you how you conduct yourself. You can continue to learn and practice and apply the basic principles. I think of this path as similar to a martial arts career. Respect for the discipline and self-respect are key. Taking shortcuts will lead in time to the situations we talked about with the "comfort zone" and "incident pit" concepts.

Not all my students are strangers to diving. Some have been on resort dives before deciding to take OWD. Often they have questions about why the principles they're learning were ignored or violated in their experiences. We also talk about how one might deal with the ubiquitous "trust me" resort dive, but that's outside the current topic. I'm trying to let them know that the planning principles and buddy agreements we stress might not always be followed but they have a choice in every case. This is usually a good and lively discussion.

Then I explain why a computer (or other tables like the Navy tables) have a different procedure for unplanned deco, and I explain why the same dive that is so punitive with the PADI tables is much less of a problem with those other dive planning tools. I worded all of this carefully after being inspired by several SB threads in which divers made a panicked ascent to the surface when they saw they had approached or surpassed NDLs. I had just such an experience myself when a very experienced dive buddy suddenly rtook off to the surface because he had come close to deco. On the surface, he described--wild eyed--how close he had come. I therefore worded my academic materials in such a way that they told divers to be very careful to avoid deco but, once in it, to react calmly and follow the appropriate procedures. Is that what you meant by saying "I try to steer a coure between 'you're gonna die' and 'it's no big deal'"?
That's very eloquent and yes, that is what I meant. Thank you.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone
Bryan

PS. Also: by "conservative with students" I did not mean "while diving with students" but that is certainly how it reads.

Last edited:
Post #60 ...

halemanō;6112113:
Since I don't believe most follow links, the short story of "my" nitrox training is that in the spring of 2001, the founder of IANTD invited me to do a personal, one on one, instructor crossover. I spent 4 or 5 days philosophizing and theorizing with the father of recreational nitrox to qualify for my IANTD Advanced Nitrox Instructor card, but the 4 or 5 weeks where I was a mostly quiet happy hour guest at Dick's Round Table (Sharky's Bar) were worth every penny of the 25 grand I invested in Florida that spring!

Post #168

Sitting around a table with Dick Rutkowski and other diving gods 20 years ago is all well and good ... but what did you really learn? I went to dinner once with John Chatterton, but frankly that didn't teach me anything about wreck diving. More to the point, if in 20 years you only put what was discussed into practice three times, how much do you really remember ... or understand ... about what was said?

:shakehead:

halemanō;6115424:
Yes... I think you guessed it. How else would Halemano justify his uninformed contributions and claim to be authoritative on topics in which he is neither trained, nor experienced.

For the record, I am a 'recreational particle physics expert'... and a 'recreational commercial pilot expert'.

That means I watch 'Big Bang Theory' on TV... and used to play Microsoft Flight Sim when I was a kid.. LMAO.
Please quote my uninformed contributions. Please quote me where I have claimed to be authoritative on topics in which I have neither trained, nor experienced.

Kind of interesting the demarcations between the participants who are still having an adult discussion, the participants who continually try to derail the adult conversation, and then the OP, who is basically only able to defend against childish accusations.

:shakehead:

This was Post #201, 12 days ago; still no response to my requests for proof, because there is no proof, these are false accusations!

Last edited:
Halemano's take seems to be;

I do X, Y and Z dives.
I haven't done specific training to complete X, Y and Z dives.
The agencies consider X, Y and Z training to be 'technical diving'.
I am a recreational diver, but I do the X, Y and Z dives.
Therefore, X, Y and Z diving shouldn't be considered technical diving.

I guide "recreational" cavern dives. I have NSS-CDS Cavern and Intro to Cave, so I have more appropriate specific training than the vast majority of my Hawaii peers.

I guide "recreational" deep dives; other than one time, none deeper than 120' (Long Fin Anthias - Monolith). I am a PADI Deep Specialty Instructor.

I make "recreational" solo kayak &/or scooter dives, neither of which any agency considers "technical." Less than a handful of times I have been through a long, well sun lit, lava tube cavern with max depth 43', which has restrictions and length perhaps making it by definition a cave.

Recreational cavern is happening and you have publicly stated you think an Advanced Diving sub-forum for Recreational Cavern is not a bad idea...

Recreational solo is happening and you have publicly stated you think an Advanced Diving sub-forum for Recreational Solo is not a bad idea...

Please quote any other than recreational cavern and recreational solo diving, that I claim I do, that I don't have the training for, that the agencies consider to be technical.

Can't come up with quotes to prove those accusation, because they are lies!

Kind of makes the last part an even bigger lie!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom