Is it bad to PEE in your wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to SB.

Its a natural thing to urinate in your wetsuit. You are supposed to be well hydrated prior to diving then you enter the water which is colder than your body temperature. Subsequently your body fluids shift to your core because your peripheral circulation vasoconstricts to prevent heat loss. This causes part of the heart to see more blood thereby releasing a hormone signaling the kidney to secrete the excess fluid. End result you decide to pee.

Last edited:
Welcome to SB. Had a DM once who was wearing a shorty and who actually turned his back to us, pulled his wetsuit leg and swimsuit aside, and relieved himself. Reminded me of someone on a golf course walking into the woods to get relief!

Welcome to SB.

Its a natural thing to urinate in your wetsuit. You are supposed to be well hydrated prior to diving then you enter the water which is colder than your body temperature. Subsequently your body fluids shift to your core because your peripheral circulation vasoconstricts to prevent heat loss. This causes part of the heart to see more blood thereby releasing a hormone signaling the kidney to secrete the excess fluid. End result you decide to pee.

the change in pressure on your body is what does most of it. It increases your blood pressure so your kidneys go into overdrive to lower it back down, but the cold helps accelerate that. Note the change in pressure isn't because of depth, it's the normalization of pressure across your body from being immersed.

DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions

The warm spot in your wetsuit is called a unrinecline. :D Completely natural and nothing to worry about.

It's worse if you don't..... there is a company in Texas that will install a short zipper horizontally across the crotch area if you wanted. Saw an older man with that done and decided I would do it when my current suit wears out.

Custom Wetsuits & Wetsuit Repair | Terrapin Wetsuits

Good luck,
Jay

Do it all the time! :D

That’s how I spell RELIEF. When you go diving, you want to relax, minimize any stress imposed on your body and enjoy the view. Where else in the world where you can relieve yourself without doing anything, just let it go. Fish does it all the time. :D

When you get back on land / liveaboard, there is showerhead where you can flush any residual pee. :)

It's worse if you don't..... there is a company in Texas that will install a short zipper horizontally across the crotch area if you wanted. Saw an older man with that done and decided I would do it when my current suit wears out.

Custom Wetsuits & Wetsuit Repair | Terrapin Wetsuits

Good luck,
Jay

Chris Summers did a great job in altering my wetsuit. I had zippers added to my wetsuit arms (wrists) & legs (ankles).

No need to add zipper around the crotch area. I don’t want my precious one get caught by the zipper. :D

Back
Top Bottom