Is it bad to PEE in your wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can't go an hour without peeing yourself you should never liquid before diving.

^^^

This is poor advice. You should drink enough water to stay hydrated. Dehydration is a contributing factor to DCS. Plus, the more you drink, the clearer your pee, so it’s less stinky.

If you gotta go, you gotta go. Absolutely no problem if it’s your own wetsuit. Try to buy your own wetsuit so you won’t encounter the issue as mentioned by @drbill below.

I know some dive operators who charge extra if you pee in their rental wetsuits but if it is yours no problem

Yes, there’s a shop up in Tobermory that has a sign posted on their wall. IIRC, I think the extra cost is $75. Understandable, so my solution was to buy my own wetsuit and pee all I want. I wash it well after every dive and it doesn’t smell. And yes, I smell it all the time to make sure, cause I’m very sensitive to nasty smells.

^^^

This is poor advice. You should drink enough water to stay hydrated. Dehydration is a contributing factor to DCS. Plus, the more you drink, the clearer your pee, so it’s less stinky.

If you gotta go, you gotta go. Absolutely no problem if it’s your own wetsuit. Try to buy your own wetsuit so you won’t encounter the issue as mentioned by @drbill below.

Yes, there’s a shop up in Tobermory that has a sign posted on their wall. IIRC, I think the extra cost is $75. Understandable, so my solution was to buy my own wetsuit and pee all I want. I wash it well after every dive and it doesn’t smell. And yes, I smell it all the time to make sure, cause I’m very sensitive to nasty smells.
DAN now says that dehydration is a minor factor. Ascent rate is still #1.

Dehydrated divers face increased risk of DCS.

I'm if diving I'm peeing.

As far as crotch rot/etc. That gets me if I'm not rinsing my wetsuit post dive and failing to dry it adequately.

Regarding hygiene... I always practice a two two finger flushes. It costs me warmth, but I've never had a stinky suit afterwards. One prior and one after. Dilute and rinse. Tug open the wetsuit neck to scoop in some water...

Granted, if hypothermia is a bigger risk then a stinky suit, I'll skip the rinse and be prepared to scrub the suit afterwards.

Well, that's about enough urine talk for my day...
Cameron

I'm wondering if it's piss that makes rental suits stink or the general body oils and scents that the averaged unwashed, overweight beer farting diver produces.

DAN now says that dehydration is a minor factor. Ascent rate is still #1.

Might you have a source handy linking to this study. I'm not aware of a recent one contradicting the 2006 research which find dehydration to be a significant factor.

Link to download paper, or search for this text in your search engine of choice:
Dehydration Effects on the Risk of Severe Decompression Sickness in a Swine Model.

It's still stated in 2015 that dehydration is related to increase incidences and severity of DCS:

Diving and Subaquatic Medicine, Fifth Edition

Edit: did you mean this
note: State of Hydration | Decompression Sickness - DAN Health & Diving

Last edited:
Welcome. I used to take the top of my farmer john and pants down in between 2 dives (shore...) and hold it (the peeing) 'til then. Too much work, especially if it's not summer here.
Simple solution I haven't hear of anyone else doing---
Hose down one leg & out by foot. Must be correct length, size and elasticity. Pee flows out a lot quicker as the hose separates the wetsuit from the leg. Works even better on land with no water pressure to impede it. At first, I used to "attach" the hose......But this was successful only 60% of the time. I'll let you imagine the other 40%...
Again, not worth the effort.
I started doing this when I started assisting with courses as I found there really wasn't time to take the suit down to pee--students marveled at the hose near my foot, as they squirmed and looked for cover--especially the females (no facilities at our sites).
After the dive, use baby shampoo on the appropriate area when rinsing suit--my suit has never smelled (or at least that I've noticed). Anyone else ever do this?
I do have a "sensitive" bladder (my whole life, not because I'm 63), so urinating has always been a concern--I don't have to be in cold water diving, but of course that makes it worse. I take medication, which helps a little.
Good luck and therefore hydrate all you want.

Last edited:
Might you have a source handy linking to this study. I'm not aware of a recent one contradicting the 2006 research which find dehydration to be a significant factor.

I suspect semantics is the culprit here. The major factors have always been time, depth, and ascent rates including all forms of decompression and gases. Lesser, but still significant factors are numerous and most notably include exertion/workload and temperature. Dehydration usually falls into minor factors (that are really hard to measure in terms of decompression efficiency) like age, medications, and physical condition. YMMV :)

I suspect semantics is the culprit here. The major factors have always been time, depth, and ascent rates including all forms of decompression and gases. Lesser, but still significant factors are numerous and most notably include exertion/workload and temperature. Dehydration usually falls into minor factors (that are really hard to measure in terms of decompression efficiency) like age, medications, and physical condition. YMMV :)

Thank you. Upon reflection, that makes sense. I wouldn't blow off a hour deco and porpoise launch myself racing to the surface on trimoc just because I'm not dehydrated.

I still think you need to be well hydrated before diving. You will be inhaling 0% humidity air & exhaling 100% humidity air. So you are stripping water from your lung out to the ambient for the duration of the dive.

A lot of health issues are due to lack of water in your body. So, have plenty of drink. As long as you see yellowish color in your urine, you are not drinking enough water.

My 13 years old wetsuit never have smelling problem. You just need to flush it well after each dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom