Is it bad to PEE in your wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The big question is, "Can other people tell when you're peeing in your wet suit?"

Drink plenty of water before you go diving, then no one can notice it :D

It's worse if you don't..... there is a company in Texas that will install a short zipper horizontally across the crotch area if you wanted. Saw an older man with that done and decided I would do it when my current suit wears out.

Custom Wetsuits & Wetsuit Repair | Terrapin Wetsuits

Good luck,
Jay

I much prefer to have a cheap unbalanced p-valve installed than a zipper. Zippers are great on the surface, but not great in the water itself. Have a p-valve installed and while you have to deal with condoms or the she-p, you don't have any smell in your wetsuit and you can go at your leisure.

The big question is, "Can other people tell when you're peeing in your wet suit?"

When they take it off, yes, absolutely. If I've peed in my suit, I try to always take it off in the water. While it's a bit unpleasant when the water is in the 50's, being able to rinse yourself and the suit off before you get dressed is always a good thing

I stopped peeing in my suit years ago when I found it was giving me a rash -- crotch rot or diaper rash. I was wearing the suit most of the day for about a week when the rash first developed. It went away a few days after diving. It came back after one day of diving a couple of weeks later. The cycle repeated until I started to suspect the suit was contaminated with some sort of bacteria or irritant.

I scrubbed the inside of the suit with some antibacterial soap from a local hospital a friend gave me. I consciously tried to stop peeing in the suit and the rash didn't come back. Dives are too long sometimes so I make an effort to remove the suit ASAP after getting out of the water and clean it. It is much easier since I started using a dilute antibacterial soap spray to lube the suit for donning.

Freediving suits with split cell interior are more susceptible to the problem since water circulation in the suit is inhibited by all those tiny suction cups (cells). This system works pretty well for males but is not a great solution for diving off a public beach or charter day-boat.

There are 2 kinds of divers. Those that pee in their wetsuit, and those that lie about it.

I worked in a dive shop for eight years and had to wash rental suits. Pee does not come out underwater and reeks later. Unless you've been in the desert for days you don't know what it is like to be dehydrated. If you can't go an hour without peeing yourself you should never drink liquid before diving.

Last edited:
It's better to pee in a wetsuit than a drysuit. Just saying...

I know some dive operators who charge extra if you pee in their rental wetsuits but if it is yours no problem

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom