Is it bad to PEE in your wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might you have a source handy linking to this study. I'm not aware of a recent one contradicting the 2006 research which find dehydration to be a significant factor.
Edit: did you mean this
note: State of Hydration | Decompression Sickness - DAN Health & Diving
Yes.
Dehydration gets a substantial amount of attention in the lay diving community as a risk factor for DCS, but probably more than is warranted. Sound hydration is important for good health, both for general and for diving health, but for your dive profile, thermal stress and exertion level are far more important risk factors for DCS. The undue focus on dehydration is probably a result of two issues. The first is that substantial fluid shifts can result from DCS, often creating a need for substantial fluid therapy and creating an impression that this was a cause, rather than a consequence, of the disease. The second issue is human nature — the understandable desire to assign blame for a condition that is capricious. DCS is fickle. A diver may adhere to a similar dive profile many times without incident but then develop DCS while following the very same profile. It is comforting to try and identify a single causal agent, even if this is more wishful than factual. It is important for divers to realize that a multitude of factors can subtly affect the risk on any one dive and that there is a probabilistic nature to the disease. Focusing on a range of strategies to reduce risk is more effective than trying to put all the blame on one.

Last edited:
Yes.
Dehydration gets a substantial amount of attention in the lay diving community as a risk factor for DCS, but probably more than is warranted. Sound hydration is important for good health, both for general and for diving health, but for your dive profile, thermal stress and exertion level are far more important risk factors for DCS. The undue focus on dehydration is probably a result of two issues. The first is that substantial fluid shifts can result from DCS, often creating a need for substantial fluid therapy and creating an impression that this was a cause, rather than a consequence, of the disease. The second issue is human nature — the understandable desire to assign blame for a condition that is capricious. DCS is fickle. A diver may adhere to a similar dive profile many times without incident but then develop DCS while following the very same profile. It is comforting to try and identify a single causal agent, even if this is more wishful than factual. It is important for divers to realize that a multitude of factors can subtly affect the risk on any one dive and that there is a probabilistic nature to the disease. Focusing on a range of strategies to reduce risk is more effective than trying to put all the blame on one.
The cource for this is State of Hydration | Decompression Sickness - DAN Health & Diving.

Isn't it really a law that one has to pee in their wetsuit?
RichH

If the water temp is reasonable, I will flush the suit while I am still in the water at the END of the dive. My newer wet suits have seals and the water does not rush through like in the old ones. If the water is cold, I will rinse the suit off after the dive in the water I just dove in. Once home I soak in a large container with that destink stuff. Suits hang to dry in garage and then into a closet in the house. There is essentially no odor at this point. I have a wife with a sensitive nose and she would let me know if there was.

I had the zipper added to my 5 mil and almost by magic, I don't seem to have the need nearly as much.

If the water temp is reasonable, I will flush the suit while I am still in the water at the END of the dive. My newer wet suits have seals and the water does not rush through like in the old ones. If the water is cold, I will rinse the suit off after the dive in the water I just dove in. Once home I soak in a large container with that destink stuff. Suits hang to dry in garage and then into a closet in the house. There is essentially no odor at this point. I have a wife with a sensitive nose and she would let me know if there was.
Sounds good Steve--But how do you rinse your leg(s)? In winter (like today) I get in the shower since I dive from the house. In warm weather and I'm driving to a site, I take a 2 liter pop (soda) bottle of water.
Whoa. That makes 3 things that I've probably been the only one to do. Should've included that in the "No.1 unique thing...." thread.

I worked in a dive shop for eight years and had to wash rental suits. Pee does not come out underwater and reeks later. Unless you've been in the desert for days you don't know what it is like to be dehydrated. If you can't go an hour without peeing yourself you should never drink liquid before diving.

Ah, to be young again!

Back
Top Bottom