Is it ok to surface halfway through a dive then go back down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cranstonjdc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is it ok to surface halfway through a a dive then continue the dive as if u never surfaced? Ive got about 25 dives. I could not find a sunken speed boat not to long ago and wasn't sure if its ok to surface and figure out where I was then continue dive. I was around 60 feet.

I've done it many times from around 30-40 feet to see where the dive boat was at. I wouldn't do a lot of this yo-yo diving though. Just check your computer, if you use one, at the end of the dive for the length of your safety stop.

Many divers are against see-saw profiles as they believe that they increase your odds of getting bent. Some time ago I PM'd Dr Deco about this and (to the best of my recollection) his response was that there was no information to support such a notion. In my opinion the key things are to have a safe ascent and to descend only if you have enough air.

There are many factors that will determine the relative risk increase for DCS.

The bottom time before and after the ascent.
Ascent speed (inc safety stop)
The total dive profile
Other dives before and after the dive in question
Time spent on the surface

In general, it is not 'ideal'. At best it is a big 'yo-yo' dive. At worst, it is a second dive with a micro surface interval. If you are diving on tables, they won't account for it... so make sure to add some conservatism to your dive plan, wherever you can.

A dive thats shallow maybe but i certainly wouldnt do it for anything other than that. Microbubble seeds and so on.

Reefs in Key Largo are difficult to navigate, peek and see is a common practice though depths are generally very shallow.

Good diving, Craig

I guess the question should be - Does anyone have any direct experience with yo-yoing resulting in DCS?

Direct experience: No.

Anecdotal experience: Yes. Diver part way through a surface interval after a fairly "big" dive diving down for a few moments (to 20- 30'? I don't remember) to retrieve some stage bottles, resulted in a badly bent diver when he returned to the surface.

Best wishes.

It's not a good habit to get into and I would avoid it. Sometimes it does become necessary but I'd consider any of them a risky proposition.

Direct experience: No.

Anecdotal experience: Yes. Diver part way through a surface interval after a fairly "big" dive diving down for a few moments (to 20- 30'? I don't remember) to retrieve some stage bottles, resulted in a badly bent diver when he returned to the surface.

Best wishes.

Any idea how fast he may have been ascending? If it was a "big dive" including a partial si was he maybe a bit low on air and rushed the ascent?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom