Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are relying on everyone on board being clear. The risk is they test ok in some window before travel and then are exposed subsequently. Then there is a window of exposure where you could pick up an undetected infection and pass it on. To get on a plane here you have to have had a negative test no more than 72 hours ahead. That gives a good couple of days to get infected.

Anyway, we don’t actually care about you, just the people you infect and those they infect etc.

The leap is not to regard everyone else as a risk to you, but the realise you are the risk to everyone else.

Travellers are doing no resort a favour if they extend the pandemic.

That’s what I meant by vice versa. I don’t want to spread whatever I might have to others. Having been PCR negative tested monthly is also an assurance that I am disciplined myself enough to follow the protocols, having the right PPE, and behavior (attitude) towards preventing the spread.

When I came back home from traveling overseas in the last 2 months (twice, to Costa Rica & Mexico), I self quarantined for 2 weeks before visiting family & friends.

Does your radio cherry pick an age group?

100k dead out of 70 million here. That is pretty much all your surviving done already. Does your definition of survival include people that have not had it yet?
Not trying to be obtuse but I really don’t understand what you are asking. My definition of survival is if 1000 people under the age of 70 catch covid, 999.8 will survive, as in live to fight another day.

Not trying to be obtuse but I really don’t understand what you are asking. My definition of survival is if 1000 people under the age of 70 catch covid, 999.8 will survive, as in live to fight another day.

Or have severe long-term consequences...it happens.

My friend's son just returned from Akumal on Fri. Tested negative before he returned.

Bad news: Infected his entire family and his father was admitted to hospital this morning.
Good news: He and his college buddies had a great time down there.

Since it usually takes 5-10 days to show symptoms or even test positive, if the son returned 4 days ago, it’s very likely his family was infected elsewhere a week or two ago.

There have been so many threads and deleted posts about covid and travel that I thought I would start a thread devoted to safe(er) travel. And yes, I have a Florida trip and 2 Liveaboards planned so far for this year.

It’s a great year to own an RV. Wife, dogs, and I made trip to Florida. RV toy haulers are great for carrying the weight of scuba tanks. Pay at the pump, slept in RV while driving, then camped and dove. Perfect introvert trip. Felt safer than staying in Virginia. We weighed the risks and decided mental health is as important as physical health.

We did cancel our European live aboard.

I travel a lot for the government and have been in two car accidents driving through blizzards, when the government judged my presence at work is more important than the risk. I’ve also flown several times in and out of virus hot spots this year, again not by choice, so I guess my risk tolerance is higher than average.

Sam

Since it usually takes 5-10 days to show symptoms or even test positive, if the son returned 4 days ago, it’s very likely his family was infected elsewhere a week or two ago.

“Usually”. “Very likely”. Probably wrong. I know the family. All been working at home for months. Son is positive. My buddy is doing OK so far.

“Usually”. “Very likely”. Probably wrong. I know the family. All been working at home for months. Son is positive. My buddy is doing OK so far.

I would say possibly, could be grocery store etc, as viruses effect everyone different including time from exposure to showing symptoms you can never say 100 percent. Most likely source is someone traveling since that's most exposure to others in close proximity, next would be grocery shopping, then food delivery gas station etc.

People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Symptoms

Four days is well within that range.

I would say possibly, could be grocery store etc, as viruses effect everyone different including time from exposure to showing symptoms you can never say 100 percent. Most likely source is someone traveling since that's most exposure to others in close proximity, next would be grocery shopping, then food delivery gas station etc.

Occam’s Razor usually prevails.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom