Is it really a good deal and don’t buy used especially when new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I've been repairing BCD since several years now. I've seen a lot of BCD brands and models.
Buying a used BCD is always a lottery. Besides the E-commerce refund policy mentioned by Angelo Farina, there is no warranty for the next several months after purchase. I have already repaired several "ready to use" BCDs bought used through e-commerce.
Used BCDs, no matter the external aspect and care taken, can suffer of broken flanges. Plastic in the flanges gets old and crystalize, leading to catastrophic failure. This is an expensive and hard to find repair that could lead to the BCD discard.
It seems that you are a new diver (at least your dives count), so going with a used BCD and specially an i3 is not a move I would recommend.
Experience means sometimes that you get familiar with gear maintenance and repair (by yourself or knowing where and who), so dealing with proprietary solutions like i3 and buying used gear is something that I would not recommend for you now.

In reference to your thread title-- I bought everything used when I first got certified and it all was fine. Still use the BC. But I bought it at the shop and tried it all out. I'm not against buying gear online, but have heard some bad stories.

Used gear can be a fantastic deal. I bought a used BCD from my dive master classmate. $200 for a Zeagle Stiletto that he wrote his name on, used once, and decided he was going to give it to his nephew, then changed his mind. I actually don't think he ever even cashed my check. It's my backup/secondary BCD (I already had an Argonaut BPW but I wanted something more "traditional" for teaching), but it's a hard one not to love.

Used with anything is hit or miss. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

If you still want to get used ask your shop sometimes here they will take stuff on consignment. As you gain more experience and know better what to look for it gets easier.

For any future items to leak test take a spray bottle with soap (baby shampoo works) press it up and spray, look for bubbles.

As others have mentioned even new BC's might have some leakage from over pressure protection valves. Remember they are designed for short term use.

Best luck on future purchases.

I don't advise buying used for new divers as they have no experience with the gear to start evaluating the quality. The exception would be used gear through, and backed by, your local dive shop.

Let me go ahead and die as long as the other person gets their money though, right? ‍

A bit over the top, unless you would actually go diving with a malfunctioning BC, even then one should have been trained to recover from the casualty. What makes one safe scuba diving is the gray matter between ones ears, not the gear they wear.

I got 3 AL80 tanks a dozen years ago. My buddy found them online, but he checked them out in person as they were sold locally. There was a whole pile of stuff for $150 CAD. He didn't want the tanks, so I got them all for $75. Still in use. They were new in the early '90s, but have passed visual & hydro each time.

M
I don't advise buying used for new divers as they have no experience with the gear to start evaluating the quality. The exception would be used gear through, and backed by, your local dive shop.

A bit over the top, unless you would actually go diving with a malfunctioning BC, even then one should have been trained to recover from the casualty. What makes one safe scuba diving is the gray matter between ones ears, not the gear they wear.
Making a point as he made a stupid and unhelpful statement. Thought you’d get that but ok.

Thanks all and lots of helpful advice. I agree there’s a time and place for used gear, just not for a new diver I should have specified.

Thanks all and lots of helpful advice. I agree there’s a time and place for used gear, just not for a new diver I should have specified.

If you buy used gear from a dive shop, that’s quite another matter. It’s not uncommon for shops to sell used rental gear. I know folks who’ve gotten great deals that way. The gear has been gone over by the shop before they sell.

So should I start a new thread to ask about BCD’s? I read to try them out in water but how if you don’t find one to rent?
I like the look of the latest pearl as it doesn’t have the i3 technology but the other features I did like on the i3. That lever thing would have been handy I think but that’s another story. Then there is the Beuchat like I used in training and really liked. I found a women’s x-air light model for $599 locally which is appealing. It’s good for travel. I should make a new post for feedback from you great folks on here that I really appreciate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom