Is it really a good deal and don’t buy used especially when new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So should I start a new thread to ask about BCD’s? I read to try them out in water but how if you don’t find one to rent?

Borrow from other local divers. It is best to try each of three types and further different brands fit differently. The best for you is the one YOU ARE MOST COMFORTABLE IN.

Borrow from other local divers. It is best to try each of three types and further different brands fit differently. The best for you is the one YOU ARE MOST COMFORTABLE IN.
That’s what I think. I’m going to do down and try those two on and see what I think. I don’t have a circle yet but that’s ok.

@Happyladydiver hope you manage to get your Ebay claim sorted out.

Buying a "used" BCD is always difficult as it is hard to determine how well it hold air over time when pressurised at the time of purchase. This is especially true with auction sites such as Ebay where the sale is normally remote & dispatched.

Personally, while it sounds like a great system on paper, I am not a fan of the I3 system as it is a proprietary system, reportedly fairly easy to damage and difficult to service. A standard inflator is easier to maintain and repair (or replace) in the event of a fault or failure as well as being cheaper and more easily sourced. Also worth bearing in mind is ease of use in an emergency - everyone knows how a standard inflator works but might not with the I3. I should note that this is only my opinion and you can take it or leave it as you wish.

I would go with a standart inflator aswell. The i3 system is not that good.

@Happyladydiver. Check this out: Total Buoyancy Control System Package

I bought the HOG TBCS last year during Dive Right in Scuba's sale (still going according to their website) and absolutely love it. I started with a jacket, then back inflate, and now in the bp/w. Would never go back and now I am a convert. If you don't want a soft pack, you can get this with an AL or steel plate.

You are a new diver right, what brand and type of BCD did you train in, was it comfortable, are you still able to speak to your Instructor, he/she may be able to help [if not attached to a dive shop and try to flog their stock, as some instructors are REQUIRED to wear what the shop sells] , what do they wear when NOT teaching a course?
You get my drift.

One of our students in the dive school (a special one....) in the middle of the course appeared in the pool with a brand new Aqualung i3. She said that she went to a well known store in the city and they offered that BCD. We use for the courses standard basic BCDs without integrated weights and standard K inflator.
She didn't even know how to use and rig the i3 as she had no reg set with the corresponding BCD hose, so the reg sets of the school were not suitable for that BCD.
She finally didn't use that BCD for the classes and we knew that she, in the end, sold it as second hand (without even touching water) and bought a standard BCD with standard K inflator.

The used one I bought during the OW course, as mentioned, was from the shop. I just tried it on for the fit. Didn't try it out in water. I guess I assumed I could exchange it if there was a reason it didn't suit me in water. Not sure if it was from the rental stash or not, as I was new to the shop. Maybe I was just lucky. Well, it's a piece of crap now, but that's 15 years later.

I would go with a standart inflator aswell. The i3 system is not that good.
Yeah no worries. The pearl is the standard
You are a new diver right, what brand and type of BCD did you train in, was it comfortable, are you still able to speak to your Instructor, he/she may be able to help [if not attached to a dive shop and try to flog their stock, as some instructors are REQUIRED to wear what the shop sells] , what do they wear when NOT teaching a course?
You get my drift.

Totally tracking.
I trained in a Beuchat. I don’t know what he wears himself but it felt ok to me. (Shrugs)

That’s why I am considering it. I thought maybe the new pearl but not the i3 as it still has lots of features I liked and is similar. It’s good for those with something up top is why. It wraps under your breasts with that cummerbund. That’s nice and far less of that squished feeling. The back inflate is also a seeming factor for that reason. Lots of pockets as I’m an uber prepared person. Lol.
@Happyladydiver hope you manage to get your Ebay claim sorted out.

Buying a "used" BCD is always difficult as it is hard to determine how well it hold air over time when pressurised at the time of purchase. This is especially true with auction sites such as Ebay where the sale is normally remote & dispatched.

Personally, while it sounds like a great system on paper, I am not a fan of the I3 system as it is a proprietary system, reportedly fairly easy to damage and difficult to service. A standard inflator is easier to maintain and repair (or replace) in the event of a fault or failure as well as being cheaper and more easily sourced. Also worth bearing in mind is ease of use in an emergency - everyone knows how a standard inflator works but might not with the I3. I should note that this is only my opinion and you can take it or leave it as you wish.
I think the newer pearl model also has the low pressure inflator hose if not mistaken? I’m still learning so I could be wrong.

The inflator may look standard on that pearl but it is still proprietary. MY LDS wants around $85 to service it, best ask yours as well. It is also 3/4 inlet so it is difficult to swap with a non proprietary LPI assembly in Australia.
I would not recommend an aqualung BCD for that reason alone.
Much better choices out there with non proprietary fittings

The inflator may look standard on that pearl but it is still proprietary. MY LDS wants around $85 to service it, best ask yours as well. It is also 3/4 inlet so it is difficult to swap with a non proprietary LPI assembly in Australia.
I would not recommend an aqualung BCD for that reason alone.
Much better choices out there with non proprietary fittings
No I’m saying I don’t think it is standard. It says low pressure inflator hose in box and that’s what the one is with the i3. So best avoid I guess. Oh well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom