Is it really a good deal and don’t buy used especially when new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's take it easy in here folks. Check the special rules for this subforum and let's stick to them please.

An
Let's take it easy in here folks. Check the special rules for this subforum and let's stick to them please.

Well said. And the guys wonder why more women aren’t into diving. Lol.

Plenty of places online for help if they don’t want to play nice and get cranky when I snap back.
Yes I would have no problem fixing it and using it, all it takes is a little knowledge which you now have the opportunity to gain some! I’m not saying don’t send it back since you never should have bought it in the first place (just my personal opinion) but you do have an opportunity to learn so maybe a little less defensiveness will help your understanding of how things work so if this sort of thing happens in the future (it will) you will have some base experience to find a solution. I don’t know what part is missing since I didn’t catch that mention in the thread but the leak can be as simple as a loose connection or an o ring thusly you could save a few hundred to put toward something else you’re going to need, although getting most of your money back on this particular item is a great idea.

Fair enough. I’m understandably a little touchy due to a few unhelpful and ignorant comments so I’m wondering where the next one will come from. That puts my heckles up. Thanks

Another thing to consider is a backplate and wing set up or a hybrid back inflate set up such as these (link). They have the bladder at the rear so no squished feeling when inflated.

The reason I suggest it is that they have a lot less in the chest area and the waist strap is a lot smaller than the cummerbund. You can add pockets/ weight pockets to a BP&W if you wish or use a weightbelt.

That’s why I did like the Pearl fit. It wrapped around underneath. I’m going to try a bunch on at the store and whichever doesn’t squish me up too wins. Lol. I appreciate the help.
Ok, I have no business diving. I can't afford 170 right now....... Spent all my money on a new drysuit.

lmao. Hahaha.

That’s why I did like the Pearl fit. It wrapped around underneath. I’m going to try a bunch on at the store and whichever doesn’t squish me up too wins. Lol. I appreciate the help.

lmao. Hahaha.
Definitely invest the time now and spend a fair bit of time trying kit out and various options before you buy. Buy once, cry once is a good adage to go by.

I am a convert to back inflate and was from early on. I did my OW in a jacket type but I was lucky in that my instructor used a BP&W for my OW cert (he used a jacket type for pool work) and as soon as I saw it both on the surface and underwater I decided it was for me. I hated the jacket types as they rode up and squashed me when inflated (especially round my stomach and chest) and the crotch strap on a BP&W is brilliant for preventing this (even to the extent that if I had to buy a jacket type I would add a crotch strap to it). I bought my BP&W within 4 dives of passing OW. Ignore anyone (certain shops are really bad for it as they want to sell you jackets which tend to have better profit margins for them) that says they tip you forward on the surface - it tends to happen when your weight is poorly distributed(ie all at the front) and can be overcome by using it more like a seat and raising your legs.

At the end of the day though, you will know what best fits you and what you are most comfortable in so go with what you feel and don't allow yourself to be pushed towards a particular option

I
Definitely invest the time now and spend a fair bit of time trying kit out and various options before you buy. Buy once, cry once is a good adage to go by.

I am a convert to back inflate and was from early on. I did my OW in a jacket type but I was lucky in that my instructor used a BP&W for my OW cert (he used a jacket type for pool work) and as soon as I saw it both on the surface and underwater I decided it was for me. I hated the jacket types as they rode up and squashed me when inflated (especially round my stomach and chest) and the crotch strap on a BP&W is brilliant for preventing this (even to the extent that if I had to buy a jacket type I would add a crotch strap to it). I bought my BP&W within 4 dives of passing OW. Ignore anyone (certain shops are really bad for it as they want to sell you jackets which tend to have better profit margins for them) that says they tip you forward on the surface - it tends to happen when your weight is poorly distributed(ie all at the front) and can be overcome by using it more like a seat and raising your legs.

At the end of the day though, you will know what best fits you and what you are most comfortable in so go with what you feel and don't allow yourself to be pushed towards a particular option
I feel I will like it too. I did enjoy trying on the pearl i3 and it had serious storage space which was great. I will try it on , the pearl like I said and compare with the the others there. I asked someone else about the BP and W and the advice I am getting is try simple ones first. That makes sense too! I did read about them and from what I read they are less bulky and that’s really appealing to me if we are talking about the same thing. I’ll post the link. I’d rather buy what’s most comfortable and use as long as possible like a car I’d buy. Still getting advice at this point though of course. Try on try on try in. Thanks

Ist dolphin tech Sidemount 42 Black buy and offers on Scubastore

I

I feel I will like it too. I did enjoy trying on the pearl i3 and it had serious storage space which was great. I will try it on , the pearl like I said and compare with the the others there. I asked someone else about the BP and W and the advice I am getting is try simple ones first. That makes sense too! I did read about them and from what I read they are less bulky and that’s really appealing to me if we are talking about the same thing. I’ll post the link. I’d rather buy what’s most comfortable and use as long as possible like a car I’d buy. Still getting advice at this point though of course. Try on try on try in. Thanks

Ist dolphin tech Sidemount 42 Black buy and offers on Scubastore

This BC you linked to is for sidemount - tank on each side. Won’t work for you diving a single tank on your back. See my avatar for what sidemount looks like.

I asked someone else about the BP and W and the advice I am getting is try simple ones first.

A BPW is as simple as it gets. Just needs to be adjusted right. I'm not saying it's best for you but it is definitely worth trying before buying something else and then finding out you like it better and vice versa. Try one, try a back inflate your already familiar with jacket.

The best one is the one your most comfortable in, but you have to try each to know.

A BPW is as simple as it gets. Just needs to be adjusted right. I'm not saying it's best for you but it is definitely worth trying before buying something else and then finding out you like it better and vice versa. Try one, try a back inflate your already familiar with jacket.

The best one is the one your most comfortable in, but you have to try each to know.
Could you link an example of what you mean as I’m never sure when I google search if I have what the person was referring to. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom