Is it worth it to get my AOW in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ottawascubalady

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all!! I'm concidering getting my Advanced Open Water in Cozumel. Has any one else done this? My hubby doesn't dive so I don't want to spend too much time away from him. I've been to Coz twice now and have done a night dive before. FAbulouS!!!!
2 MORE WEEKS TO GO!

It is absolutely worth it, IMO. My wife and I did our AOW in Coz a couple of years ago. Not only is the diving great, (as you already know) but you will learn some more in depth theory on topics like deep diving, how a boat is laid out, etc.

AOW doesn't take a big time commitment outside of the dives you will already be doing, and it should make you a more knowledgeable diver!

Go for it!

I totally agree with kevguthrie, there is some reading and in book reviews that you have to do. But other than that it is 5 dives. So no extra time other than the reading and reviews. I did my AOW in Cozumel when I was down there last November and would never regret it. The peak buoyancy made the rest of the trip ohhh so much better. I think that should be a mandatory specialty. Don't Think about it JUST DO IT!
2 Weeks till you go I am jealous... I have to wait 34 more days :)
Eric

I notice that your from Ottawa, now lets think about this, Cold, low viz training dives in Canada OR training dives in the warm, crystal clear waters of the Caribbean.
Seems like an easy decision:D

YES! DO IT!

Warm water, individual instruction for group rates, your own dive guide...it's a no brainer.

GO FOR IT!

Yeah, it's worth it. You're still diving and you don't have classroom time to sit through like the basic OW. Do yourself a favor though and ask the instructor to go through the book chapters before you dive. My instructor went through the chapters after the dives but it was information I could have used before the dives. My AOW was in Islamorada and I was on the same boat going out with recreational divers and they were in a hurry. So, ask them to meet you well before the boat is ready to leave to go over the material.

Thanks all. I'm going to do it. I have butterflies just thinking that I'll be diving again soon. Yahoo!! It's funny that I'm calm as can be once I hit the water. It's really crazy but I havn't done any diving here in Ottawa. ( I absolutly hate the cold!) I want to try this summer. It's hard when you work until 5:30 every day to go out afterward. I really love the clarity in Cozumel and other warm destinations. I'm spoiled.

I think it's a good idea, since it gives you an opportunity to investigate other aspects of diving. For example, you may find out that you really enjoy wreck diving. Also you can't beat the conditions here, and deep diving is a snap here!

I think you should send me your ticket and hotel vouchers so that I can be really, really sure it's the right thing for you to do. I won't charge you much for making sure that it is absolutely the best place for you to do your AOW. Just let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom