Is it worth it to get my AOW in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 2 pesos :)

The AOW course is DESIGNED to be fun and not very challenging. It is an expansion of OW without the intensity and introduces you to some specialties that are available. And of course, it is the next required step before doing the rescue diver certiication which I think every diver should take (rescue is not a good vacation course however...very intense and not much actual diving) If the reading and knowledge reviews are done before arrival, then the course will take no more time than the five dives would. Depending on who you do the course with, your dives could be conducted from shore or better, they will all be boat dives so you are still diving the nice reefs. Briefings for each dive and discussion of each dive are done on the boat and during the surface interval.

Also, despite the misleading title of the course...it is not intended for those who are already "advanced" divers nor is it intended for those who want to become "advanced" divers (no c-card makes someone an advanced diver...only time and experience can do that). The best time to take this course (and the way it was intended) is while you are still a newer diver. Some take it immediately after OW, but IMO, it is best to do OW then get 10 to 20 dives under your belt and take the AOW. This is when people typically get the most benefit from the course.

As far as skills...the only dives in the AOW course that have staged skills are the Navigation dive and the deep dive. The skills can be completed in the first 10 to 15 minutes of the dive and the rest is just diving :) The other dives are simply practiciing and becoming conscious of skills/techniques that should be a part of any dive of that nature (ie: buoyancy control, Fish ID, multi-level/computer diving, drift diving, boat diving, etc.). My point is that you don't miss out on great dives because you are doing "training dives."

Fordan, navigating in the current is part of what you learn in the AOW course :)

Christi:
Fordan, navigating in the current is part of what you learn in the AOW course :)

Well, yes, it just seemed like some of the skills would be a bit more challenging to do in a strong current, like figuring out the number of kick cycles to go a given distance.

Certainly if you do it in Cozumel, you'll get better practical current experience. The coverage of current for my AOW Nav dive consisted mainly of "you'll have to shorten the legs of a pattern with the current and lengthen the ones into the current."

I took the exact route Christi suggested. New diver, got a handful of dives in, then went for AOW (in Islamorada, FL) on vacation. She's right, especially if you're going to Cozumel, you're probably going for several days and the few AOW dives aren't going seem like you spent your entire vacation "in school". Even for those 5 dives, can you think of a more beautiful classroom?

I think everyone needs to do these courses in cold low vis water(just kidding). They need to suffer.

Actually I took all mine in low vis Texas lakes. have limited vacation time and sure didnt want to spend it in a class.

Hawkeye Mark:
I think everyone needs to do these courses in cold low vis water(just kidding). They need to suffer.

Actually I took all mine in low vis Texas lakes. have limited vacation time and sure didnt want to spend it in a class.

And there's also the idea that it can be good to get your training in somewhat less than ideal conditions so that your comfort zone is a bit wider.

I did my advanced open water in Cozumel and I don´t recommend it. You don't really learn anything more than you would if you were to dive with a charter in Cozumel. There were other people on my boat with the same experience as me and they were doing the same dives, and they didn't have to get their Advanced.

Futhermore, if you are going to be diving in cold water, the advanced in Cozumel is not for you because the conditions are too easy, and you won't be able to practice cold water diving in near zero visibility, and you won't be able to do the dry suit option either.

Every dive is a drift dive, but the drift are very easy and I didn't learn anything during that option. In addition there are no wrecks and so you run out of interesting options to do on your advanced.

I just had to revive this thread.. Just had to :)

You will only get something out of AOW training IF you put forth the effort. Why? Anyone can pass the AOW tests, and the c-card wont make you a better diver. If you take the AOW class with good instruction from a good divemaster, and you put forth 100% effort.. you will be a better diver. Its really as simple as that. One on One instruction helps you improve your buoyancy control/skills. Let the dive master critique you and learn from them. Watch what they do an imitate them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom