is there good diving in Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is there good diving off the coast of Costa Rica? I would only have a week there and I'm pretty prone to seasickness so no live-aboards for me and thus no Cocos Is. If there are places to dive there, which coast is better or should I just skip the water based action in CR altogether?

I would also like to know about diving in CR. I'll be there june 8-18 staying in playa negra. Seems that everyone just wants to talk baout belize and roaton!

Well, here is my opinion on diving in Costa Rica.... I have dove there many times and it's really good...I would dive in Guanacaste with Deep Blue Divers..they are really good. I've dove Bat Island....Catalina Island and many other sites and they are all good. As a matter of fact i was due to go on June 20th. for 2 weeks diving but now i'm not heading there...friends of mine are going that week and will be diving in Guanacaste. If you need a place to stay there go to Flor de Itabo hotel very nice and very cheap and the people are all really nice. If you still need more info. send me a message and i'll respond..or just post here.

I dove up in the NW - Sol Playa Hermosa w/Bill Beard's old outfit. I enjoyed the diving, but you should understand it's not caribbean viz. We had 20-40 feet (el niño helped clear it). Dove locally and also took the Bat island trip they offered. Saw shark, a manta, lots scorpion fish, etc. Enjoyed it a lot and want to go back (so little time and money).

Scuba65:
Well, here is my opinion on diving in Costa Rica.... I have dove there many times and it's really good...I would dive in Guanacaste with Deep Blue Divers..they are really good. I've dove Bat Island....Catalina Island and many other sites and they are all good. As a matter of fact i was due to go on June 20th. for 2 weeks diving but now i'm not heading there...friends of mine are going that week and will be diving in Guanacaste. If you need a place to stay there go to Flor de Itabo hotel very nice and very cheap and the people are all really nice. If you still need more info. send me a message and i'll respond..or just post here.

What airport do you recommend flying into, San Jose, or Liberia? Also, what are the diving conditions like this time of year, vis, hurricanes, etc.?

I am also going to Guanacaste (staying at Bahia pez Vela) August 14-22. I can't wait to go. I found 6 dive shops (Diving safaris, ocotal diving, costarica diving, rich coast diving, resort divers and deep blue diving adventure) there, but heard that Deep Blue Diving Adventure is good. Anyone used the others? Is 3mm suite enough?

funkyspelunker:
anyone know how long it takes to get there from san jose?

I believe Guanacaste is at least a 4 hour drive from San Jose. Better to fly directly into Liberia. I've never been to Costa Rica, but it is high on my list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom