is there good diving in Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
If its just diving you want Belize and Roatan beat it hands down, on the other hand if you plan to do some land based stuff CR is great.

yeh we are planning to do a lot of surfing, fishing, and other sightseeing. I'm going with some non divers so I'll only have a day or two to dive.

I went to Costa Rica in '95 before I was a diver, so I can't advise on the diving, but we rented a car and drove from Jaco Beach all the way north, then back to San Jose. I *think* San Jose to Liberia will take you more than 4 hours. Don't quote me, it was a long time ago!... but check into it. If you only have a week you may not want to spend a lot of time driving? Also take into account the road conditions can be bad (washouts and potholes) I was there April/May and it was heading into rainy season. Plus factor in the cost of a rental car. I'd fly if I were you!
Great country though... lots to see on land for the nature lover, and the people were super friendly :)

Ok..if you can fly into Liberia you're better off since the drive is long about 4-5 hrs. and the road has alot of pot holes as of last yr. when we drove. We did dive with Ocotal Diving and they were pretty good. I myself like Deep Blue Divers right on Playas del Coco and they are cheaper than Ocotal. Right now it's winter there..which means alot of rain..though in Guanacaste isn't as heavy rains as in San Jose...diving could go either way with being really good to poor vis.

I found martin air has round trip from miami to san jose for 188$ totaling 261$ with taxes and fees. Cheapest one I have found! Staying at hotel Playa Negra. June 9-17. It's on one of the best surf spots in CR if not the world!

Deep Blue in Playas del Coco killed a man last September due to negligence. They may be inexpensive, but what is your life worth? Think about it..

I went to CR in July 1998 and it was wonderful! We stayed at El Ocotal on the Guanacaste coast. The diving was spectacular....best I've ever seen. In my opinion it beats the pants of Cayman Brac by far. We did Catalina and Bat Island too in addition to many other sites.

Yes, it's a 4 hour drive from San Jose to El Ocotal. It was worth it as we got to see the countryside and local color. We made several stops along the way and had a guide on our bus that explained everything too us....very enjoyable.

I would go again in a heartbeat....but there are other places on my list I haven't been yet....too soon to start repeating!!

The summer is the rainy season in CR and the best time to go. The countryside is more lush and the visibility is better. Keep in mind the visibility in CR (Atlantic side) is not crystal. The water is packed full of nutrients that feed the abundant life you'll find there. You have to give up excellent vis to get the incredible life. I wore a 3mm and was okay during the day dives, but was cold on the night dives. When I go again, I'll take a 5mm with me with a hooded vest just in case.

One afternoon we also did a canopy tour above the rainforest. IT was spectacular....a must do if you can fit it in. When we go back we plan to spend a bit more time there than a week and split up our time between diving and land based activities. My buddy and I are both kayakers and would like to do that in addition to the rainforest, volcano,...etc.

I have been to both coasts of CR each has it attractions and while I enjoy warm water over the colder side ther are GREAT diving. Yes there are other things to do such as the rainforest, or the hot springs at the base of Arenal. I found that traveling by 4X4 is the best way as it affords a view of the local life. On the west tamarindo to iguana azul. You will find yourself over looking a half moon shaped bay where the local fishermen pull um up and bury them in the sand just to go for more. They do this to keep the birds from eating their catch. Buffalo Divers is a local shop 2 to 3 click south. They will set you up for shore diving or arrange a boat. Down from there you can on the beach at oso peninsula and watch the turtles come up by the thousands to lay eggs. To the north Flamingo and Flamingo divers has very personable Instructors and reasonable rates.
On the east head to Limon and down to Pt. Vejio. La Coasta de Papito or the eco hotel just down the road have great rooms and rates. One is in the rainforest and the other is on the beach. Villias Del Caribe.
local shops are in the small town, and diving is prestine.

I would rate the diving over the ambergis route each time. Belize you have to get a liveaboard to get to the good diving and with you seasickness it looks like the island or down south.

souldiver222:
Deep Blue in Playas del Coco killed a man last September due to negligence. They may be inexpensive, but what is your life worth? Think about it..
I was thinking about diving with them this summer. Would you let me know what happened. Do you know more details about the incident. Thanks

Hello All,
Has anyone been by Cahuita or Limon? I have been told that it has a gorgeous reef which is close to land and thus requires little bota time. I get seasick quite easily too:)

im planning on being there this summer... any thoughts from the group??

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom