is there good diving in Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen it from the outside.it looks descent. I'm pretty sure it's not a 5 star hotel but i'm pretty sure it's clean and descent.

Costa Rica has diving on both coasts, it's hard to arrange for diving on the Caribbean side, while on the Pacific side there is diving just about everywhere and there are more shops opening all the time up and down the coast. Guanacaste has been the main tourist destination for many many years and this is why you will find most of the infrastructure, including the dive industry, in this area. It is really easy now that the Liberia airport is open, but if you must fly to San Jose it's about a 4-5 hr drive out to Coco Beach, and the road is NOT FUN, but the drive is, you just gotta arm yourself with patience and enjoy the ride...do watch out for potholes on the road.
Ocotal and Bill Beard's Diving Safaris are by far the best shops around, they have been around for 20 some yrs and they have the best gear, boats and service. There are other shops like Blue and Rich Coast and Resort, they are ok but they are on a different scale than the previous two. Not to say they aren't good, they are just on a different scale. They are all friendly and strive to provide the best service they possibly can. I don't know about Deep Blue killing someone, sometimes with diving accidents is really hard to put blame on someone...they are accidents, but professional, reputable dive shops do everything possible to minimize the chance of an accident. That being said, Cocos offers plenty of different oportunities for all kinds of budgets. From the higher end Ocotal and BB to the lower end of the budget and I'm sure if you walk around town a bit and discuss prices with them you will get some kind of discount for your hotel or for your diving...shop around if you wanna save.
Have fun, Costa Rica is great! keep in mind the Pacific is a rough ocean, it's COMPLETELY different from the Caribbean. Don't be dissapointed is your colors are not all there, the vis isn't as good and the water temp is lower. It will compensate with trememdous amounts of life in all kinds of sizes and numbers.
Enjoy Costa Rica, Pura Vida
Maui

Can't help you out much, I have heard good things about Aquacenter, but I've never been with them. Catalinas kick ***, specially for manta! But beware of currents, and viz is usually in the lower end of the spectrum...but this is what brings in the mantas!

I just returned from Playas del Coco where I was diving with Rich Coast Diving. I more than highly recommend this operation! Their equipment, professionalism, prices, boats, staff...everything really, was top notch!

well as far as hotel stay goes, I'm looking for something on the romantic side but good value and location. Would Coco Verde fit that bill? Any other suggestions?

funkyspelunker:
What airport do you recommend flying into, San Jose, or Liberia? Also, what are the diving conditions like this time of year, vis, hurricanes, etc.?
Depends on your itinerary, if you are going straight to Guanacaste & staying there, try Liberia just be prepared for problems if you go Lasca air, pain in the a$$.

souldiver222:
I just returned from Playas del Coco where I was diving with Rich Coast Diving. I more than highly recommend this operation! Their equipment, professionalism, prices, boats, staff...everything really, was top notch!
Seconded! I have dove with them repeatedly since 1993 & have had good to great service every time. Lot's of Mantas & eagle rays. Go to the Bats & Catalinas weather permitting.

ronrosa:
I believe Guanacaste is at least a 4 hour drive from San Jose. Better to fly directly into Liberia. I've never been to Costa Rica, but it is high on my list.
6 to 8 hour drive sometimes more depending on road conditions. The earthquakes are hard on the highway. It is a nice drive though if your are brave enough to drive alongside Ticos.

How is renting a car/jeep in Playa del Coco? Also, I was wondering, is PDC a big'ish town? Is there decent shopping for bikinis there, and bars, etc. Or is it a block long beach town with one corner store?

Back
Top Bottom