Is this a good backplate and wing setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure I follow the OPs intention, a 40 pound wing but only 16 pounds of weight capacity, seems like a mismatch. I would go with the 30 pound wing if you really only see the need for a maximum of 16 pounds weight.

I respectfully disagree with 40lb wing is mismatch for 16lb pockets. Especially OP is looking to do weight integrated, wing size need to scale up to accomondate that. Remember, the wing needs to flow the rig by itself with full tank. Say he puts 16lb the pocket as the pockets are designed to do, + 6lb for steel plate, + 2lb for reg, + 2lb all other misc. Total is 24lb without the tank. Now with full AL80, 2lb. The rig is 26lb negative. A 30lb wing is just a bit more than enough. Add a canister light and/or a camera, he is cutting very close.

My recommendation is don't go all integrated. Put some weight on yourself, ideally you+your exposure suit are close to neutral as you can, or maybe slightly possible. If you ditch your rig under water, you won't shoot to the surface. If you ditch the rig on surface, you won't sink. Since you are about neutual or slightly postive, your rig is also about neutral or just slight negative. In that case, you wing size will just depend on your exposrue suit.

---------- Post Merged at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Sorry for the OT, back to OP's question

My first rig is the cave advanturer rig, DR SS plate, Oxycheq 40lb mack V. I added STA (personal preference), DR tranplate harness (regreted). This is actually a very good setup. DR plate is one of the flatter plate, some like it, some don't. I prefer steep bend plate myself, but that is not to day DR plate isn't good. Oxycheq wing is very low profile. I have no problem diving it in tropical water. Shell material is also very tough, but also very stiff. Too stiff IMO, makes not a travel friendly wing. And I prefer simple hogarithian harness once I tried it.

I have also tried DR 16lb weight pockets. I personally dn't like it. It is a only 8lb x2 kind of pocket. If you put smaller wegiths in it, they move arund quite a bit, and they tent to slip through the corners. I later swith to DUI weight harness.

Have the above said, I got myself Halcyon rig for my double setup. I actually do like the additional quality halcyon bring to the table. Granted most of these increase in quality is fit and finish, and some marginal improvement here and there, but I like it, and I am willing to spend extra for it.

I require 24# to sink currently. Not 16# see my original post.

Can some one show me the maths for wing lift... I can't work out the wing lift calculator.

Faber100 steel
24# of lead
Trilam dry suit
SeaQuest BCD
Hood
What am I missing?

Faber HP100, ~0lb empty -8.5lb full (Faber HP 100 | Extreme Exposure) And let's assume SeaQuest BCD is +4lb. So here is your math:

Total balast at the end of dive: -24lb (lead) + 0lb(tank) + -2lb(reg) + -2lb(misc) = -28lb
Total postive buoyant object: +4lb(BCD) + +24lb (you&your drysuit) = +28

They have to be the same for you to hold safety stop with empty tank. Your BCD need to do 1)compensate possible lost bouyancy 2)flow your rig with full tank with out your in it. This step is to estimate the buoyance of your suit, +26lb. If you integrate all weight, your required lift is basically your suit + weight of gas. In your case, 24lb+8.5lb = 32.5lb. Any less, you won't be able to archieve neutral buoyancy if you suit is flooded or flow your rig with full tank. So 30lb isn't enough for you. Go with 40lb.

Last edited:
I require 24# to sink currently. Not 16# see my original post.

Can some one show me the maths for wing lift... I can't work out the wing lift calculator.

Faber100 steel
24# of lead
Trilam dry suit
SeaQuest BCD
Hood
What am I missing?

Things that don't float: 24 lbs of lead, ~2 lbs of regulator. Total = 26 lbs. (assumes tank is neutral when empty)

Things that do float: BC ~4 lbs, Exposure suit. 26 -4 = 22, approximate buoyancy of exposure suit.

Assuming medium stainless steel plate, harness, regulator, full hp 100, rig will be ~-17 lbs. with a full tank and ~ -9 lbs with an empty tank.

If your rig provides 9 lbs of ballast with an empty tank and your suit is +22 you will need another ~10-13 lbs of ballast. *If* the DSS 8lbs (per pair) bolt on weights are used your rig will be - 25 with a full tank, and -17 with an empty tank.

That leaves you with 2-5 lbs on a belt.

If your rig is at most -25 lbs , and your suit +22 there is no need for a 40 lbs wing. A 26 is bit too close, a 30 is OK and a 35 provides for thicker undies in the future.

Tobin

Tobin, Is there really that much difference underwater going with a wing that has 10 pounds more lift?

Tobin, I don't see why the rig is -25 in your example. The suit is +22lb meaning rig + empty tank is -22lb, otherwise, you can't hold safety stop. With full tank, say -8lb, now the rig is -30lb. A 30lb wing won't do it.

Tobin, I don't see why the rig is -25 in your example. The suit is +22lb meaning rig + empty tank is -22lb, otherwise, you can't hold safety stop. With full tank, say -8lb, now the rig is -30lb. A 30lb wing won't do it.

Plate and harness ~6 lbs
Reg ~2lbs
Full hp 100 ~9lbs
Weight plates ~8

6 + 2 + 9 + 8 = 25

Rig provides about 17 lbs of ballast with an empty tank. 25 - 8 (100 cuft of air = ~8 lbs)

Weight belt on belt is 3-5 lbs

The Wing only needs float the rig, not the rig + the weight belt.

Tobin

oh I got it now, I didn't see the weight belt part. It is a good point. If you are willing to use a weight belt/weight harness (something that is not integrated), you can reduce the wing size.

I use a DUI weight harness. I tried weight pockets on my BP/W but it was very heavy to don loaded with 20lbs lead + BP + tank. It is easier for me to put on a preloaded weight harness then my BP/W. Also, I started thinking about being able to remove it underwater. With all the weight on the rig and none on me, if I removed it, it would sink and I would be suspended above it like a balloon. With weight in a harness I could be relatively neutral without my rig and the rig would be relatively neutral, making it easier to don and doff. Of course, its probably easier to signal your buddy and have him untangle you, unless you are solo diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom