Is this a good backplate and wing setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for the weight harness. Its a lot easier to adjust trim.

Using the smallest possible wing makes trim easier as the air bubble moves around more in a bigger wing. Keeping the lead off your rig allows you to use a smaller (30lb in this case) wing for cold water dives. The same rig can then also be used for travel to warm water destinations. Its not that a 40lbs wing is bad, but as you get larger then you starting thinking about a small travel wing, then a big wide one for doubles and before long your pocketbook is empty or your wife see the credit card statements....

Here is how to cure the DR pockets of the weight sleeve falling out:

PA180591.jpg

The sewn loop takes up the excess strap material preventing the sleeve from sliding and rotating out of the pocket. Much, much more secure in any position:

PA180590.jpg

Attempt to resist the urge to sew a D ring in there as most of you have enough D rings as it is and hanging stuff from the weight sleeve only serves to undo what was just accomplished, increasing the security of the weights. With the sewn loop taking up the "too long" piece of webbing the weight sleeve will not fall out anymore.

N

I dive a TransPlate with DR SS BP and STA. 40lb Oxycheq Mach V Extreme. I use a rubber weight belt so I can freedive, by taking my Rig off. The Transplate works well for hiking our coastal cliffs with no sway. I got it all in pieces when the components were on sale or close out. Your price sounds pretty good though. I think I have 16lbs on my belt and the SS BP/STA is about 7.5lbs. A good rule of thumb is 1/3 of weight over lung area and 2/3 around your waist.

I also use a TransPac with weighted STA and channel-weight with 30lb Oxycheq Mach V. They are both streamline wings. The 30lb is more compact.

The STA locks the tank in place for hiking and added weight over the lung area.

One problem is the STA raises the tank an inch or two. The slots on the DR STA are higher than slots on SS BP for the tank cam straps.

I have the DR 2" crotch strap. It is very comfortable. You can easily make a comfortable crotch strap using soft tubular webbing and belt slides.

+1 for the weight harness. Its a lot easier to adjust trim.

Using the smallest possible wing makes trim easier as the air bubble moves around more in a bigger wing. Keeping the lead off your rig allows you to use a smaller (30lb in this case) wing for cold water dives. The same rig can then also be used for travel to warm water destinations. Its not that a 40lbs wing is bad, but as you get larger then you starting thinking about a small travel wing, then a big wide one for doubles and before long your pocketbook is empty or your wife see the credit card statements....

Hi Grumpy,
As luck would have it, I was diving yesterday with independent AL80 doubles and had a slight FUBAR. I put my bungee necklace on and then my hood. My drysuit neck seal continually bled air through the back. I found out later the bungee was under the seal. I guess bungees can kill you only in ways I had not imagined. I had to use my wing for buoyancy and not my drysuit. I did feel the bubble move in the wing like you describe. I could go slightly head up or slightly feet up and be stable. It was sort of like managing the bubble in the drysuit only on a smaller scale so I did not feel it was a problem. Diving dry turns the trim discussion on it's head (hopefully not literally) since all the air can end up in your feet or your shoulders depending upon your position.

well in the end i bought a used but like new halcyon infinity with knife and weight pockets. was kind of an accident, went to someones house to buy something else and he mentioned he had it for sale but not listed yet.

thanks for everyones help.

Hi, first of all some info about myself. Currently im diving a dry suit bag style with 12 kilograms of lead in water that is 11-16 degrees celcius. Im 6foot 1 and weigh 89 kilos. Im using a Seaquest Balance back inflace BCD which has been ok but has some annoying faults like i cant reach the rear dump.

For the last few weeks i have been researching BP/W setups. I would like to spend less than $500 to get a SS system with integrated weight pockets and a comfortable harness. This is what i have come up with:

Dive rite SS backplate
Oxycheq 40# wing Mach v
Dive rite 16# weight system
2 sex bolts
oxycheq single tank adaptor (for extra weight)
Dive rite deluxe harness with quick release
2 inch crotch strap
SS cam bands

I know the single tank adaptor is not needed but i may add a lead beam into this to hide some weight in the future.

This comes to $525 at caveadventures.com

How does all this sound?

I have almost the same setup. It works great for me and I wouldn't change a thing. The only thing that is different with my setup is the wing. I have the mach v extreme wing 30lb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom