It was the best of buys, it was the worst of buys . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’d have to say my best are also in their way the worst.

They began with my BOW class. Wanting to dive for some time but the class cost was slowing me down. I’d get the amount I’d been quoted almost saved and my car would need a repair or something and suck it right down to 0 again. Then was in my (soon to be LDS) with friend looking for a wetsuit, and checked on the class cost expecting it to have risen since I’d last looked. But no, they’d instituted Kamaiana rates about 2/3 less. It seemed one of those stupid to not spend money kind of thing and I jumped on it.
My plan when succumbing was to slowly acquire good used gear over time. Unfortunately diving was for me like crack to some, just one class was all it took. Still wet, with all caution and restraint disgarded, I plunked down a credit card for the whole shebang insuring I could do it as often as I wanted. Sadly that impulse to take the bait and get certified has now resulted in a severe addiction to diving. Considering some of the instruction I read of here, I got excellent instruction how to continue this habit very cheaply.

First reg I ignored good advice for adequate and went for Atomic, chose to act like a normal person and got it yoke. Fell in love with it on the first breath, but turns out a HP tank is better sized for me and my water heatered buddies so I now have a lovely piece of gear (the yoke part) I have no use for.

Was getting cold in pool class, dashed back in the shop at the last moment before heading out for open water dives to check the prices for a full wetsuit. There was a Henderson on sale for less than the other manufactures and I was cunningly encouraged to try it on. Quite surprised it felt ok and seemed ok (I didn’t know any better) I impulsively took it with me onto the boat. Now I have 3 Henderson items, the last two, not on sale. I strongly suspect I am hooked on them also.

I got suckered into new fins I thought were seriously overpriced, huge and ungainly, especially since the CostCo ones did work (if painfully) that significantly contributed to supporting the frequency of the central addiction. No doubt they are in some way also responsible for the additional purchases to continue this insidious habit.

A very good deal were the two HP steel tanks I got a year ago for near to the price for one now. Another LDS employee suggested the online shop about ¼ of the plant away but I only paid $14 to ship one, the other was free. Unfortunately they are somewhat of an anomaly here and I’m frequently greeted with, “Oh, you are those tanks.” However the boat crew are breaking down and supporting this habit that needs special attention so I don’t feel as self-conscious as I was.

LDS had a killer tank card deal. $1 a fill if you bought in bulk, a real devious ploy to encourage partaking of compressed air. I still have quite a few tanks left so I’m putting off getting Nitroxable when Nitrox would probably be better for my health when experiencing submersion.

I have to say I feel I was woefully taken advantage of. I was just a little old unsuspecting lady thinking $150 would let me get high by seeing the stuff I’d been snorkeling over a bit closer. Now I’m taking in a roommate to help support my habit and I can see no end to this need for another fix.

Worst: Ebay Cochran Nemesis IIa $120; quit after about a month.

Best: Ebay Cochran Commander + $140. Works like a charm.

2nd best: used MK10 and G250 $50. I like the DR RG2500 better, but it could just be because the SP is so scuffed it looks like it was wore out along time ago (works fine though).

Best of buys

I got a brand new Atomic B1 reg for $100 cash.
It was about 2 years old so i had to spend anotehr $70 to get it serviced. So $170 total, I got it from a guy that was bought a few dive items and was planning on taking the course and ended up not taking it so he kept reg and a couple other things for a while. I found it on craigslist

Another smoking deal. I got a Suunto Viper dive computer for $140. It had 15 dives on it, which kinda sucks since you cant deleate them but i got over it for $140!!!!

Best buy was either the Basic open water course or the P&S camera and housing.

Worst buy ..hmm... mine would be the Inon D2000w .. works fine but would work SO MUCH BETTER if I had a DSLR and maybe a second flash .. and a macro rig .. and and and .... a winning lottery ticket.

Not my worst buy but there is someone out there who is very unhappy with their stainless backplate .. at least I assume so since I found a large chunk of one at 60' by the west wall in grand cayman

That's an awful lot of Nitrox. What did you do? Setup a Nitrox respirator for surface intervals too

At $10 a Nitrox fill, that's only 40 dives . . . I did that in the first three months after I bought the membership!

TSandM:
At $10 a Nitrox fill, that's only 40 dives . . . I did that in the first three months after I bought the membership!
I agree that the unlimited nitrox fills concept is a great deal for folks who dive a lot. My tech instructor runs a similar deal for $65 per month. When I signed up I told him I'd give him $100 per month instead. He looked at me kind've funny and asked why I'd do that, and I told him because I didn't want him to lose money on the deal ... I'm still getting my nitrox fills for less than $4 per cylinder ... and those cylinders range from LP95's to HP130's.

He's also giving me unlimited trimix fills for $30 per month ... which is a SMOKIN' deal ... but I'm self-imposing a limit of two fills per month in my HP119 doubles. Like I said, I don't want him to lose money on the deal.

Getting back to the original topic ...

Best buy for me would be a toss-up between my Salvo light and most of my DSS gear ... for pure grin factor vs what I paid for it, these are my favorite pieces of scuba kit.

Worst buy would have to be that Northern Diver drysuit I purchased a few years back ... despite the fact that after months of hassle they ended up giving me the damn thing. That was, without comparison, the most horrible scuba transaction I've ever made. A distant second would be my old Halcyon Helios 9 ... which got converted to a Halcyoff (ala Howard Sandroff modifications) ... which got converted to a Mutant (with Salvo modifications) ... by the time I ended up selling the thing and eating my losses I had about $2,200 into that light ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Pocket mask.

Makes my face look like pants.

Best buy - New 7mm booties, $1 a pair, at scuba tent sale.

Worst buy - Ebay in general. Example: The hose on the "great condition" SPG blew out after a few dives. The cost of a replacement hose brought the total cost to roughly that of a new item.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom