It was the best of buys, it was the worst of buys . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blitz:
The trimix deal would be a bad thing for me........:)

Yeah, we'd never see you above 150 feet :D

Okay, here are my best/worst deals:

Best deal: Toss-up between my Salvo light (100 dives and works like a champ) and the Northern Diver's suit that was Bob's worst deal. He sold it to me for a bit more than the price of the new zipper he had installed, and I put 60 dives on that thing before buying my new DC suit. It now serves as a great backup and a "loaner" suit to get friends into drysuit diving. It fits anyone from Bob's size up to about 6'3".

Worst deal: Don't know if this is an actual "deal" but I'm a compulsive mask buyer. Finding one that fits (consistently) has been a pain in the rear. Besides the four I've bought from my LDS (they've been great, allowing returns, and finally just selling them to me at cost), I've bought other brands online, and have even gone to other local shops in search of the perfect fitting mask (I felt dirty for cheating on my LDS). I've found it, but not before running through about 10 different masks. Sometime soon, I'm going to set up a table at the local dive site and sell them for $25 a pop. That will add up.

dsteding:
Best deal: Toss-up between my Salvo light (100 dives and works like a champ) and the Northern Diver's suit that was Bob's worst deal. He sold it to me for a bit more than the price of the new zipper he had installed, and I put 60 dives on that thing before buying my new DC suit. It now serves as a great backup and a "loaner" suit to get friends into drysuit diving. It fits anyone from Bob's size up to about 6'3".
That suit always reminded me of the movie "Twins" ... they measured for DeVito and cut for Schwartzenegger ... :11:

dsteding:
Worst deal: Don't know if this is an actual "deal" but I'm a compulsive mask buyer. Finding one that fits (consistently) has been a pain in the rear. Besides the four I've bought from my LDS (they've been great, allowing returns, and finally just selling them to me at cost), I've bought other brands online, and have even gone to other local shops in search of the perfect fitting mask (I felt dirty for cheating on my LDS). I've found it, but not before running through about 10 different masks. Sometime soon, I'm going to set up a table at the local dive site and sell them for $25 a pop. That will add up.
I got dibs on the Ion ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

dsteding:
Yeah, we'd never see you above 150 feet :D

The only reason I come up shallow now is to change tanks.....

Speaking of, my best purchase(s) is a toss up between my Double 95s and my s600's

My worst pruchase? A wedding ring 12 years ago.... it has by far cost me the most!

Suunto cobra...... that was such a waste....

Best Buy: SP Twin Jets, weights, weight belt, boots, mask, snorkel, hooded vest, and 3 mil gloves off of Craig's List only used once for $55.00

Worst Buy: Orca Delphi air integrated computer that broke after about 3 dives, a long time ago.

worse purchase: my first reel...
Plastic-Wreck-Reel-LG.jpg

Best Buys: SP Jets on eBay for $20, Spring straps from Scubatoys for $35, X-Shorts on eBay for $20, Atmos 2 from SB classifieds, never had a problem with it. My new 10w can light is shaping up to be one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Worst Buys: SP TwinJets from LDS for $150+, Big *** Dry Snorkel from LDS for (Ugg I don't even know), haven't used it once since OW class, Catalina C80 (via trade) it never gets filled to 3300. Retractable Compass, ANDI Nitrox class, haven't used the gas since I took the class (although I hope that will change eventually).

pakman:
worse purchase: my first reel...
Plastic-Wreck-Reel-LG.jpg
LOL ... I've got one of those too ... sitting in my box-of-stuff-I'll-never-use-again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
LOL ... I've got one of those too ... sitting in my box-of-stuff-I'll-never-use-again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LOL... same here... it's never been in the water... makes for a nice fancy line dispensor when I need to tie things off with lines...:eyebrow:

Best buy:

Traveler's Club 2-Section Rolling Duffel With Telescopic Handle

Actually I bought a similar bag, different manufacturer. The bottom compartment is a great fin pocket which makes this the cheapest dive bag ever. My wife can fit her whole set-up in the bag with room for her regular clothes for the trip. And it doesn't scream "SCUBA GEAR ... PLEASE STEAL ME!!!".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom