Jacket BCD vs. Backplate/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think another big issue that leads to newbie misinformation about BP&W is the simple fact that many/most recreational instructors/DMs don't have a clue about them. This is certainly true for the majority of instructors/DMs working in holiday locations.

As is typical with many dive pros, they won't want to admit a lack of knowledge to a customer, so they make up a 'cover story' about them being purely for 'technical' diving etc etc.

I will throw my 2 cents into this. As an instructor I train all my Open Water divers in the use of a jacket style BCD and weight belt and I wear them myself when training OW students. I do this for several reasons. I think a jacket gives better floatation at the surface, face up and is more stable and to some degree more comfortable to wear for novice divers and they have pockets to put additional gear into. Also a cheap decent quality jacket BCD is half the price of a cheap back plate set up from a company like for example IST Sports, I am looking at an IST catalogue right now. In addition many students do not wish to buy gear right away and will go off on vacation and rent gear for months or years before buying their own kit. Hardly any dive shop I know in Asia rents wings and backplates. If you walk into a shop to rent gear for a days diving you will be offered a jacket BCD. If you buy a jacket style BCD it comes ready assembled and you can dive it more or less (with minor adjustments) right out of the box, if you buy a wing and a back plate you have to assemble it yourself, well at least in Taiwan you do, unless your dealer is kind enough to assemble it for you. Assembling a back plate and wing takes time, especially the first time you do this. Based on the above criteria I would say a jacket style BCD is far simpler and user friendly for novice divers. Having said that I use a backplate and wing for all my fun diving and dive trips. However if you find yourself out at sea in a heavy chop or a big swell, a jacket style BCD has advantages over a back plate as you do not have to adjust the straps to float face up and clear of the water.

Good points.

1) having divers purchase several duplicate gear sets (in an attempt to fix prior stupid purchases) keeps the scuba gear industry alive, especially in this recession. Making stupid/wasteful purchase decisions is a 'right-of-passage' in this sport, get over it!

2) most divers have way bigger issues impacting/screwing up their diving than the decision between B/P vs jacket BC. (bouyancy control/trim/weighting issues/overall diving skill-competency). Most divers, with a reasonable amount of experience, can easily make either system work just fine for them.

3) I design/build my own BC/wings.....so I'm diving hybrid systems that includes the best features of both worlds, both options have their stengths/weaknesses, I've blended the best, and trashed the rest to invent my own definition of 'best in class'.

1) having divers purchase several duplicate gear sets (in an attempt to fix prior stupid purchases) keeps the scuba gear industry alive, especially in this recession. Making stupid/wasteful purchase decisions is a 'right-of-passage' in this sport, get over it!

Love it! That's me!

3) I design/build my own BC/wings.....so I'm diving hybrid systems that includes the best features of both worlds, both options have their stengths/weaknesses, I've blended the best, and trashed the rest to invent my own definition of 'best in class'.

Very interesting. Would you be willing to share with us your designs (with pictures) please?

This is great! What is important to remember is that people who dive have opinions for all the equipment they own or have owned. This varies greatly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and some post their opinion with fervor, some with venom. The debate on this subject is like the political debates that rage in "The Pub". The same thing gets hashed and rehashed. The same players say the same things over and over. The only thing that changes is the occasional newcomer that happens along to fuel the debate.

It's fun the read though!:D

I feel dumber for having read this thread.

I have a very, very strong suspicion that you are right. After all, the whole magazine is basically one big ad.

The other thing to keep clearly in mind is that Sport Diver does NOT go out and buy the gear to test. It is sent in by the mfg and therefore is not a reliable source for info on the gear. WHile they may on occaision say something like "the medium is a bit small on some who would normally wear a medium" or other such drivel to feign objectivity I never saw a bad review of any piece of gear. And likely never will. They will certainly never say "the elevator lever on the BC is looked at by many divers as a useless gimmick" but instead praise it as innovative and new. I come here, TDS, or other message boards for honest reviews.

You mean like people telling newbies to "buy a jacket now, because a BP&W will be too complex for them. Get that later on..."? :wink:

You mean like people telling newbies to "buy a jacket now, because a BP&W will be too complex for them. Get that later on..."? :wink:

To me, the worst part isn't that. After all, manufacturers make their money on gear sales. And magazines make their money putting up ads - regardless of the validity of the messages.

To me, the worst part is that there are so many of the so called "pros" such as dive instructors and dive masters that encourage this kind of behavior. My suggestion, anytime someone gives you advice that excludes putting some thought into the process that can save you money, run away screaming.

Back
Top Bottom