Jacket Style BC for Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdallen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to bob like a cork in the ocean. Matter of fact, I'm going to get a yellow beanie so I can look like a yellow duckie out there. Well not really :wink:, but I'm trying to determine which jacket style BCs are suitable for travel. The Scubapro Go is a clear choice. But (for reasons I do understand), most manufacturers tend to back inflate for "travel" BCs.

Are there any other jacket BCs out there that travel reasonably well? I.e., not too heavy and aren't too difficult to pack?

I used the SP Go down in Bonaire a few years ago, and found it easy to pack and very light. Despite no rigid tank mount, it was VERY comfortable on my back and I never noticed the tank.

I have a bright yellow Dacor BC that you'd probably like for the color, but it's rather bulky for travel and I have to take it in a checked bag. I wore it in Puerto Vallarta and heard a story of three divers who were lost when there was an underwater earthquake near a deep crevice--one of them was wearing a bright yellow BC and they were spotted on the surface several months later on a foggy day. The captain just figured they were headed to their boat but soon realized there were no other boats nearby. He went back to see if they needed assistance but they could not be found. They are known as the Ghost Divers.

+! for SP Go.

Thanks. The more I look at “travel BCs”, the more I think I’ll just lug around a regular oneo_O.

I bought a travel BC a while back (don't remember which one) and it didn't come close to fitting into my carry-on so I didn't really see the point if I still had to put it in a checked bag. A couple of pounds doesn't really make a difference to me because I'm usually a long ways from being overweight on my luggage.

If it doesn't have to be a jacket, Zeagle's Covert XL or Aqualung's Zuma roll up for packing.

I would look at the Dive Rite TravelPac. It weighs less than 6 lbs, packs flat, most of the hardware is stainless steel, it has 2 cam straps, you can add weight pockets and it doesn't have any extra stuff on it you don't need.
TravelPac BCD | Dive Rite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom