James Bock As a instructor.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go meet him and talk to him. Get educated on what you want. Interview him and if you have the warm and fuzzes take your training. If not, find someone else. I've met instructors i wouldn't train with and not because they were bad instructors based on someone else's opinion, but because our personalities just did not mesh. Some people like passive, some aggressive. Me, I like assertive.
Unfortunately I am in another state so meeting him is not that easy Have talk with him on the phone tho!

I am looking to do my tec classes 40-45 and I found the dive shop in PHX-AZ sea 2 sea. James Bock Is the instructor for the tec and I wanted to see if any one has had any classes or dealings with him and how did it go?
James Bock, the PHD at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory? I did not know he even dived! This guy is an expert in Observational Cosmology! I don't know about technical diving, but if you plan on going into space, you found the perfect instructor!

James Bock, the PHD at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory? I did not know he even dived! This guy is an expert in Observational Cosmology! I don't know about technical diving, but if you plan on going into space, you found the perfect instructor!
My plan was to dive in space😉

I took my Tec Trimix 65 corse with James Bock. He cares about our dive community and his goal is build up his students. His class will be challenging and you’ll have to earn your tec cert. If you have the right mindset, he will push you to become a better tec diver. If you want to enhance your skills and really learn how to be a safe and successful tec diver them give him a call ☎️.

I recommend James Bock
(Instructor Review: 9.35/10)
You joined like 2 days ago and this is your only post, so your recommendation smells a lot like someone got you here just to add a positive comment.

The optics on this are bad.

You joined like 2 days ago and this is your only post, so your recommendation smells a lot like someone got you here just to add a positive comment.

Or…this was one of the first posts he found and was like, hey, I can contribute to this!

FWIW they are colleagues at Sea 2 Sea Scuba ....https://sea2seascuba.com/team/

Not necessarily bad but not an unbiased opinion.

I am looking to do my tec classes 40-45 and I found the dive shop in PHX-AZ sea 2 sea. James Bock Is the instructor for the tec and I wanted to see if any one has had any classes or dealings with him and how did it go?
I fired him for the following reasons.

-sells you stuff you don’t need. For example he sold me a belt buckle to keep my light canister upon his advice from sliding. It didn’t work!
-on our first dive, one of his students ran out of air after 5 min because he didn’t fill his tank.
-I’ve received tanks from his shop without air after leaving them there for 1 week to get filled
-received tanks from his shop with missing yoke adapters
-the longest standing dive shop in town will not fill tanks that have been to his shop unless they are inspected due to past fill issues
-insisted my trim was my fault and not due to the tank bands needing adjustment. After listening to others the tank bands needed adjustment and solved my issue (see post regarding trim). Tried correcting the other student’s trim by switching him to side mount.
-horrible instruction and doesn’t explain what we are doing and need to expect. Just blows air at your tank valve and expects you to react without going over what we are doing
-installed my p-valve and it started leaking after 6 months

Overall, he thinks he knows it all and in my opinion is borderline Asperger’s since he has very poor teaching/interpersonal skills. I switched to TDI with Epic Dive charters and have a completely better experience. He does have at least 1 report against him with PADI. Definitely recommend looking for a more competent instructor. Also, don’t let him work on your gear!

-sells you stuff you don’t need. For example he sold me a belt buckle to keep my light canister upon his advice from sliding. It didn’t work!
I don't know the dude and have no dog in the fight, but how did the belt buckle not work. That's pretty SOP for any technical diver with a can light. Slide can onto belt, slide belt buckle on to hold in place.

Windmutt is one of many aliases used by a man by the name of John Sandstrom. John is a local internet keyboard hero. He has very poor judgment in the things he posts on line and most of us in this local dive community just ignore him.

James is the type of dive instructor that many of us have longed to have as our mentor, instructor and dive leader. He pushes his students to be competent and great divers. If you are looking for an instructor to just give you the cert a collect your money, then you are looking at the wrong instructor. If you wanna be a good, competent and able diver…. Then look no further than James Bock. Talk with any of his past or current students and I guarantee you will only find good comments and accolades from anyone other than windmutt, John Sandstrom, tiburacio Velasquez, etc. who are all the same disgruntled angry old man.

Look at any of his posts on here or any other social site. He has nothing positive to say about most anyone. Usually because of his own incompetence.

You’re right, just joined and James and are colleagues, but after 8 years of diving I seen the growth and dedication James applies in his classes. His classes are challenging and they’re not for everyone, but if you want to develop your skills, then I recommend his approach towards tech diving. If you want proof, friend him on Facebook and see all the positive things he does for his students.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom