Jet Fin vs Rocket Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.........but I declined and bought a pair of Mares Power Plana's for myself and my youngest son via a catalog ad in Skindiver Mag..........that was 1985.

I still have my Power Planas from 1985 also.:D They were the flippers I bought for certification. I use Jet Fins now, as the standard size doesn't make me cramp up like the Planas often would.

Man, this thread has got me a bit bummed.

I've used rocket fins exclusively since I first started diving back in 1982. Except for some lightweight full-foot fins I sometimes use for snorkling, I've never dove with anything but my Rockets. What have I been missing all these years?

Maybe I should try some Jets!

I've used rocket fins exclusively since I first started diving back in 1982. Except for some lightweight full-foot fins I sometimes use for snorkling, I've never dove with anything but my Rockets. What have I been missing all these years?

If you like using both vented fins and full-foot fins, there are always the Free-Sub Süper Jet full-foot fins below, which are still manufactured in Turkey:

7.jpg

Scubapro's Jet fins were developed originally by Beuchat of Marseilles in France, which designed them in the early 1960s as full-foot fins:

jet3.jpg

I have found that shooting Rocket fins full of holes hardly has any effect upon their propulsive potential any more than shooting a cement block full of holes would make it float much better.

N

So far I have not heard mention of the Nemrod Venturi Fins. I'd post a pic but I can't figure out how. I bought mine a few years after Jet Fins came out and after I wasted some money on some "rocket" type fins made by Sportsways that were like having two 2 x 12 boards nailed to my feet. The Venturis channel the water from what ScubaPro called the "Dead Spot" out the tips of the fins. This made sense to me and I bought them and had not used any other fin since (well, until a couple days ago). They seem to have just the right abount of stiffness/flexibility and even still have the original straps. I liked them so much I bought another pair for my wife (mail order--way before the internet) and they were made from a much, much stiffer rubber so I sent them back. Instead she bought some "SeaSport" fins (From Laguna Seasports) which are very similar to Jet Fins but have two slots instead of three and only cost about $20 back then. They are also still good but need new straps. As for the venturi effect, if you look at the way they are made then yes, I suppose a venturi could be achieved but I think the practical benefits exist only in the minds of the engineers and the sales managers :wink: Nonetheless I think moving the water out the tip instead of the back is probably a genuine improvement.

I looked everywhere and could not find instructions on how to add a pic to my post. Is it so obvious that no instructions are needed?

Get a free Photobucket account, upload your images to photobucket, copy and paste correct format (last one below the uploaded image
) into these "reply to thread" areas. And Presto, here they be.

Photobucket image hosting as well as the many others do not take up space on the forum's server. That are just auto links.

And, by the way. The "venturi" slots of the Nemrod fins don't work. They just become heavy, stiff paddle fins. Neat idea, too bad about the result.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom