Job Search Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anj1204

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I could use some help finding which sites are best to look at for CCR/TEC instructor employment. I am about to retire from the military and would like to get into the scuba industry but need to do some research on jobs. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

If you are a PADI Pro - look at the Classifieds section.

I appreciate the response. Currently I am not a PADI professional. I am doing the research to show how much more marketable I will be by becoming a tec/rebreather professional vs. Just an ow professional. You would think that it would be an easy sell, but the folks I have to convince have no idea or concept of anything scuba. So I was hoping to find a good open source sight to show the comparison and job opportunities.
Thanks for the help.
Alan

Wait, you have less than 100 dives and are looking at become a tec/CCR instructor?

From my experience, employment at that level of instruction tends to be networking based amongst a relatively connected community, based on reputation and recommendations.

I'd expect a serious technical diving employer to demand a minimum of:

1. 500+ recreational certifications as an instructor, with a significant proportion as nitrox, deep and/or overhead environment.

2. 500+ in-water hours training and performing technical-level diving.

3. 1000+ in-water hours total.

4. 500+ in-water hours per CCR unit taught, with a steady progression (hours) through mods to the teaching level.

This can be achieved over 2+ years of intensive training and diving.

Of course, you can run through the agency qualifications much quicker... but having the cards isn't the dame as being employable.

The tech instruction market is getting saturated recently, but thankfully it's still highly reputation orientated... and getting that reputation takes a lot more commitment than just attending qualification courses.

For CCR, you're going to have to first choose a unit, then complete all the prerequisites for even taking the certification course. Then you'll need to get your OWSI while getting a minimum of 100 hours on your unit. Then you have to get approval from the manufacturer to instruct their unit, then you can complete the requirements to become a CCR instructor.

It's fun....a great learning experience!

Wait, you have less than 100 dives and are looking at become a tec/CCR instructor?
At least he's not wanting to become a cave instructor before he retires!!

If you are currently or have been a ccr instructor at the EOD school or something you'd be in a lot better place to move into instructing. So if that is the case then you should clarify that.

For those of you that were able to give some sort of answer to the question, Thanks I appreciate the help.
Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom