Just bought at BP/W....do I need weight pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nation of Heat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, let's start by saying I know this is going to be a hard question to answer given the number of variables. But I'm leaving in 10 days for a two week dive trip and if the answer is a resounding "yes, you idiot buy them" I still have time to order them. So with that in mind....here's my situation:

Just bought a basic bp/w with an aluminum plate (Thanks for the guidance, SB!). I will be diving warm water with AL80s. Most often it's with just a rash guard, occasionally with a 3mm shorty. I have the Deep 6 Eddy fins, so pretty much neutral there. In the standard rental gear set up I usually took 8lbs of weight. I don't carry any lights, tools, cameras for now....so it's a very basic setup. Needless to say I'd rather avoid dropping needless $ on weight pockets i won't use.

So my question is breaks down 2 ways:
a) Based on the above am I likely to need weights? I know I'll need less than with the jacket setup....but the estimators seem to be a bit all over the road when it comes to how much. (see below for what i've calculated given the best of my newbie abilities)

b) If i forgo the pockets for this trip, and end up needing a few pounds can I just strap the to the tank bands as a short term solution?

Here is what I have managed to come up with:

Aluminum backplate w/ just rash guard:
Start of dive: -2 (tank), -2 (regs), -3 plate= negative 7
bottom: neutral (tank), -2 (regs), -3 plate=negative 5
End of dive: +4 (tank), -2 (regs), -3 (plate)=negative 1

I'd be grateful for any input from the community on this....

a) you will need weight with an al backplate. With SS it is unlikely that you would have needed any. If you used 8lbs with a jacket, you'll probably use 4-6 with the backplate depending on what kind of jacket it was

b) with that little weight I'd just use a weight belt

OK, let's start by saying I know this is going to be a hard question to answer given the number of variables. But I'm leaving in 10 days for a two week dive trip and if the answer is a resounding "yes, you idiot buy them" I still have time to order them. So with that in mind....here's my situation:

Just bought a basic bp/w with an aluminum plate (Thanks for the guidance, SB!). I will be diving warm water with AL80s. Most often it's with just a rash guard, occasionally with a 3mm shorty. I have the Deep 6 Eddy fins, so pretty much neutral there. In the standard rental gear set up I usually took 8lbs of weight. I don't carry any lights, tools, cameras for now....so it's a very basic setup. Needless to say I'd rather avoid dropping needless $ on weight pockets i won't use.

So my question is breaks down 2 ways:
a) Based on the above am I likely to need weights? I know I'll need less than with the jacket setup....but the estimators seem to be a bit all over the road when it comes to how much. (see below for what i've calculated given the best of my newbie abilities)

b) If i forgo the pockets for this trip, and end up needing a few pounds can I just strap the to the tank bands as a short term solution?

Here is what I have managed to come up with:

Aluminum backplate w/ just rash guard:
Start of dive: -2 (tank), -2 (regs), -3 plate= negative 7
bottom: neutral (tank), -2 (regs), -3 plate=negative 5
End of dive: +4 (tank), -2 (regs), -3 (plate)=negative 1

I'd be grateful for any input from the community on this....
Yes, you could put some weights on the top cam-bands. Pockets would be nicer, but only for an ease-of-use reason.

there is nothing that precludes you from using a weight belt with your BP/W. Inside or outside the harness will likely generate another long thread. I would use the easy button and do this until you get your weighing sorted

Lead? Who knows, no way to tell for sure without doing it.

I dive a BP&W. When I need lead, I use a rubber weight belt. On most dives I need at least some lead, but then again I don't dive with less than a 3/2 wetsuit.

I would buy cam band pockets now.

These are awesome and small.

DGX Gears Trim Weight Pocket (each)

I just used the almost exact same setup while in St. Martin but I had a SS backplate. 2 x 2lb weights in those pockets on top cam band, rashguard and shorts, booties and Deep 6 Eddy fins. It was perfect..

chrisb.JPG
chris3.JPG

If you really only have 25 - 50 dives I would suggest you have ditchable weight (in case you get to the surface and have problems). Cam band weight are not ditchable. A weight belt is, if you put in on after your harness. I like the stretchable ones that free divers use.

- Bill

the rubber belt mentioned on here is sold by @MAKO Spearguns
Freedive Weight Belt | MAKO Spearguns

I don't really ever have to dive with lead because I use a SS backplate, but if I do, I just go with a weight belt. Especially for as little weight as you are going to need, it isn't worth the cost/potential hassle of dealing with pockets. I don't believe in mm precision trim because your body and rig is dynamic. 8lbs on your waist isn't going to be that big of a deal and the ease of use with a belt can't be beat. If you were diving with 20lbs of lead it would be a different story, but not with 8

I have these on my BP/W.
XS-Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket
They work fine, I also picked up some cheap cell phone holders that work Perfect! The cell phone holders have a Delrin belt clip with a tab that prevents the clip from coming off the belt. I think I paid $5 each and they hold a 2 or 3 pound weight snug enough the flap is really not needed. They are also easy to move from trim weights to belt if needed.

Good luck,
Jay

The only way to know is you dive. I dive an AL backplate with no weight at all in freshwater. Even in a full 3mil. Even in a drysuit with a steel 120. Salt, I need to add a few pounds. Cam band pockets are easily switchable, just put them on your belt. I do agree that you should have some ditchable weight early on.

As mentioned pockets would be useful, really like the XS ones. Or, just thread the weights on your waist belt......or bring a couple of bungee loops to attach the weights quickly and easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom