Just bought at BP/W....do I need weight pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend getting four 2-lb weights and try that on a rubber freedive belt.

8 lbs should be about right if you used that on a recreational BC. You may be able to use 6 or even 4 lbs of lead (you won't know until you try) but it is nice to be able to fine tune your ballast (hence the small weight recommendation) and to be able to drop the belt in an emergency. Incidentally, if you drop your MAKO belt and/or lead in an emergency, I'll replace them on my dime.

You might also want to do some snorkeling on your trip and if you want to dive down while wearing a wetsuit, it may be beneficial to wear a weightbelt.

For freediving, you want to be able to float comfortably on the surface and attain neutral buoyancy at 30 feet or slightly less if you are diving shallower. For freediving/snorkeling you should strive to use the least amount of lead possible and 8 lbs would be way too much for shorty suit - maybe 2 or 4 lbs or even zero.

Dive Safe and have a great trip!

Dano

i second the xs scuba quick release pockets. you can place them on a weight belt for now if needed. making them ditchable. also put them on the camband later once you have more exp. get the quick release.... two pockets shipped from leisure pro, under 25.00

Do YOU need pockets? Or are you OK with a weight belt?

For my "local" diving in 4C waters, a weight belt is NOT OK .... I don't want to put on 26lbs on a belt for diving an AL80 ....

If I'm diving down in warm water with a rental setup (i.e. jacket BC), I too use 8lbs of lead with an AL80 and a 3mm shorty (and neutral fins)

With an AL plate, I use a weight belt with 4-5lbs on it (depends on what the operator has for weights)... as I hate rethreading the buckle on the belt of my BP, else there is usually tonnes of room for it.

With a SS plate, I generally put a 2lb weight on the actual belt of the plate, off to the right side where the buckle isn't.

_R

With a soft plate I need around 14-20lbs even if I'm just in a rashie, as I'm a fat bastard floater. My torso is long and my gut sticks out, so I struggle to find a belt that both stays on me without tipping me head or feet down ... I use pockets.

However, if you can use a belt and won't struggle diving it, go ahead. The fact it comes off as one piece as opposed to two, is no doubt safer.

If you decide against a weight belt, make sure you can ditch your rig in a hurry, on the surface and submerged.

Bob

If you decide against a weight belt, make sure you can ditch your rig in a hurry, on the surface and submerged.

Just to clarify (don't want to veer too far off topic but I'm trying to sort of use this whole process to learn from as well) is the situation that would require ditching the rig a wing failure?

Yes.

The chances of having any emergency that causes you to need buoyancy immediately so you drop a weight belt is small, however once it happens you need to drop the belt. When you have all your weight on your rig, you need to have a plan and be able to execute it quickly, to gain that buoyancy.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom