Just certified Open Water!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi h2odragon1

Thats exactly what we want to do is get some experience under our belt by diving locally. We just have to find out where and how. Although we just found out my wife is pregnant (funny how that works without trying). We also already booked a trip to Cozumel at the Fiesta Americana.
Anyway now I have to find a buddy to dive with.

Where did you do your certification? If locally then your shop should have a number of names, places, etc. That's usually the best place to start.

Joining a local dive club is the best way to find buddies and learn about local diving.

Posted via Mobile Device

Some local dive sites in Oklahoma:

South Central

Hope this helps.

:coffee:

lespaulsf My suggestion is to take atrip with your local dive shop just to get acquainted with the way diving works. Wife and I have been diving just over one year and have been on 3 dives trips and have made lots of great friends. You will find out that for the most part divers are eager to help you in any way that they can. We have met divers that at first impression was a know it all, but really they knew that we were new divers and had lots of info that they wanted to share. Go diving and you will meet knew friends from all over. I have said in other post that if you make the first dive enjoyable you and your wife will have a great future in diving. Ours started with our lds. But one word of warning DIVING IS ADDICTIVE

Thanks guys I'm actually meeting with a group called Tulsa Aquanauts this coming Tuesday. They have a meeting every month so I'm pretty excited.

I actually got certified in Tulsa with a group called DiveTulsa. They really haven't suggest any particular place to dive except to go to the lakes and try to find people. I don't want to ask them if I can dive with them when they are not giving classes because I don't want to be bothersome to them.

lespaulsf My suggestion is to take atrip with your local dive shop just to get acquainted with the way diving works. Wife and I have been diving just over one year and have been on 3 dives trips and have made lots of great friends. You will find out that for the most part divers are eager to help you in any way that they can. We have met divers that at first impression was a know it all, but really they knew that we were new divers and had lots of info that they wanted to share. Go diving and you will meet knew friends from all over. I have said in other post that if you make the first dive enjoyable you and your wife will have a great future in diving. Ours started with our lds. But one word of warning DIVING IS ADDICTIVE

Hi there. Three dive trips is kinda expensive especially since we are land locked from any ocean diving. I so desperately want to make local dive friends but don't want to be a nuisance to experienced divers that I might find.

Can't speak about dive groups but I would think that most dive shops would have trips planned where the local divemaster would be going with the group and would be willing to help the new divers.

Don't know about diving around OK. From cent. louisiana were about 5 or6 hours from any diving. Been to Coz twice Nov. and March and yes it does cost.You can dive pretty cheap in Coz (25 - 35 u.s. dollar a dive on average) There are bargains all over. We rented a house in coz in november with 2 other couples it cost $333 per couple for a week and the house was GREAT, not on the beach but super nice "Casa Tropicale". Enjoyed the mexican culture and really liked the diving. And as i said "diving is addictive" we are headed back in may to "get our fix.." Wife subscribes to all types of travel newsletters and keeps up on the bargains, as soon as we find one we jump on it (if I can take off from work at the time). It was cheaper to fly to coz and dive for 6 days than to drive to destin, rent a condo and dive for 5 days.

Haha thats true. It was cheaper for us to go to Cozumel for 5 days then to go to Florida Keys for 4. Doesn't make since. Cheaper to go out of country then saying in own country. I guess third world countries just cheaper.

Welcome!! You're going to love diving the lakes around here! We are from Oklahoma too and dive several of the lakes nearby. Our favorite is Beaver Lake in Arkansas. They have started up a new site... Beaver Divers - Welcome to Beaver Divers, by C & J Sports you can also find the dive shop here: CandJSports Home They are great. We also dive Lake Tenkiller, Tablerock, Bull Shoals, local farm ponds, etc. :) Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom