Key Largo - Looking for Seasoned diver thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what's the usual m.o. for lunch in between?

There is a VERY short turn-around time in between the morning and afternoon dives. (That's what happens sometimes when divers want to stay down longer than an hour :mad:)

There are picnic tables at Rainbow Reef right by the boats. If you pack your own lunch you can hang out and eat while they're getting the boat ready to go back out. Or as the Chairman said, you can now place an order with Subway and it will be delivered for you.

The guys at RRDC will do whatever they can to make the whole experience easier for you.

Reading this thread makes me want to go back to KL...
You've seemed to have forgotten where you left your Keys. Pack your dive gear, leave your worries behind and come on down to paradise, aka the Florida Keys. The water's wonderful, the fish are plentiful and we have Reefs to Dive For. We'll leave the porch light on.

I've been home less than a week, and find myself seriously needing to return....

FWIW, if you dive with RR, make sure and stop by the shop (<1.0 miles north on the west side), and spin the prize wheel (keep your wrist band on until then). My wife won a half price charter, and a free charter, my daughter won a mask strap, I won some "deep discounts on gear" (didn't need any), discounts on t-shirts, and a free hug!

Plus, there is an ice cream/chocolate shop close by there too!

I'm stuck in my ways....
We call that being a curmudgeon! :D :D :D Sometimes the "west" side of the road is to the north while you're in Key Largo. Ergo, the left side of the road as you are driving "South" (which can be actually West) is called Ocean side as it's towards the Atlantic Ocean and the right side is called Bay side as it's on Florida Bay until you get to Marathon, where it technically becomes Gulf Side, but everyone will still understand you if you say Bay side. Once you know the Mile Marker (MM), it's easy enough to find your way around the Upper through Mid Keys. Key West (Pronounced Key Weird in the Upper Keys and sometimes Key Wasted) has lots of streets and is also the home of MM0. Key Largo ends at MM 107 at the Card Sound Rd which is a great bypass when the 20 mile stretch between Key Largo and Florida City gets congested.

Some other recommendations for eating in the Keys:

• Chad's Deli MM92 Bay Side. Their Shrimp & Corn Chowder is as good as it is filling. Don't forget their Cookies. One is too many! :D
  • MEAT Eatery and Taproom MM88 Ocean Side Tired of Seafood, Seafood, Seafood? These guys have the best burgers in Florida. Try their Nancy Pants with their Mango Ketchup and have an adult float while you're at it. Yum!
  • Island Grill MM85 Ocean Side. Lots of fish and well cooked!
  • Lorelie Restaurant and Cabana Bar MM82 Bay SIde. Awesome Sunsets, on the beach dining. A bit expensive, but the view is awesome.
  • Wahoo's Bar and Grill MM83 Ocean Side in the Whale Harbor (soon to be opened) Marina. Great shrimp and crab legs.
MEAT was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Quite an achievement for a Key Largo restaurant. Looked for the video - didn't find it but found this instead :)

.... If you have to go earlier, then you can't go wrong with Doc's Diner (MM101ish Bay Side)....
I love Doc's Diner for breakfast. I don't know how they do it but your breakfast comes out faster than the wait time at a McD's drive thru. Running late and meal at the table, I've had 3 eggs, hash browns, toast and coffee and been back out the door fully paid in 15 minutes with a 2nd styro cup of coffee to the boat in hand. Off the charts great sit down breakfast.

Is Harriette's still there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom