Kingston Charter Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBound:
I've only dove from a boat once in Kingston, that was with Divercity, and actually I found his email from the businesses thread above.
Why do you guys have to turn everything into an argument? Why do you assume I already know all the charters? I'm a new diver. Almost all of my local experience has been shore diving.

I luv ya man, I really do :D

I should have helped you more.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=72668

have a good one.

gitterdun:
Hmm... come to think of it, JJ... Has he ever been to NTD??
He was there once, to meet a few of us and go for a dive. He wanted some pointers from the GUE guys, and was offended when we offered our advice. Go figure. Just like the lines we lay, everyone wants it, but no one appreciates it

jjones9527:
He was there once, to meet a few of us and go for a dive. He wanted some pointers from the GUE guys, and was offended when we offered our advice. Go figure. Just like the lines we lay, everyone wants it, but no one appreciates it

Ok.. I spent all summer there last year.. didn't recall seeing him...Tx..

jjones9527:
Yup, been there, done that.
No good deed goes unpunished, eh? :)

Not to stir the pot, but the one time I was at NTD my dive buddy was harped on because he was diving doubles and not in a configuration they approved. They almost refused to fill his tanks. Was not a warm fuzzy feeling. Tom was not involved. It was the fill monkey that wasn't nice. Doesn't exactly make me want to go there again, but I will next time I'm there because I'm willing to give them another chance. Besides, I miss Spike.

hnladue:
Big Jim's Boat is the only way to go. I'm non-gue and I loved diving with him.
Thank you so much! I knew there had to be other non-gue divers here! I'll give him a call.
Neil

Lightning Fish:
Curious, are you saying/implying that there are charters in the Kingston area who only accept DIR divers? What about the rest of Ontario? Note, these questions are not directed at the OP but could be answered by anyone.

Cheers,
Bill.

He may be implying it, but it is not true.

A shop in Kingston (NTD) is partially owned by a GUE instructor. That shop runs charters. A lot of local GUE trained divers consequently use that shop and charters for their diving.

Lots of non-GUE divers also use the shop and charter boats. The two groups (GUE and non-GUE) even mix, both in the shop and on the charters.

I have found the people there to be nothing but friendly and helpful and would highly recommend both the shop and the charters.

Of course you can't please everyone all the time, but I have seen them try.

DeepBound:
Well, I can think of two things that I don't like 1. being 'convinced' to make gear configuration changes at the last minute before the dive (because the way I'm practiced with and used to is wrong) 2. feeling that my every move is being watched. These things stress me out, and stress/diving are a bad combination, for me anyway.

So the thought of Experienced / Well trained who care for their fellow divers looking out for an inexperienced diver who may not be making the safest or smartest decisions while on a charter boat scares you and stress's you out. Then I don't foresee you doing many boat charters in your diving career as I truly hope every charter boat is full of these kinds of people.

Michael_Lambert:
So the thought of Experienced / Well trained who care for their fellow divers looking out for an inexperienced diver who may not be making the safest or smartest decisions while on a charter boat scares you and stress's you out. Then I don't foresee you doing many boat charters in your diving career as I truly hope every charter boat is full of these kinds of people.

Michael, if you need the boat operators to babysit you before your dive, then you weren't properly trained.

I'm talking about being able to relax without being talked into joining a cult when trying to go diving. Or being 'helpfully' informed that you might die since you don't have the right gear configuration. There's a big difference between that and a DM keeping an eye out for people who need assistance, or helping you get your BC on. All of the boats I've been on have been just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom