Knew it would happen eventually

How do you make sure an insta-buddy stays with you?

• Put him/her in the lead, then stay with 'em

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Use a leash

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Just keep an eye on 'em

Votes: 60 61.9%
  • Some other method - explained in my post

Votes: 10 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why I dive every dive as if it was a solo dive. The "buddy" is just an enhancement and I'm around to supply him with air or vice versa if necessary.

Nice troll scubaflier.

Saspotato, are you certain this is a troll? Perhaps I am gullible, but I find it disturbing that someone who identifies himself as NAUI Instructor #36480 on his profile would seem to advocate ditching a dive buddy in the Basic Scuba Discussions forum.

I found an interesting webpage at NAUI Worldwide Contact Us. Apparently you can email NAUI about their Ethics Quality Assurance. I am curious what they would think of NAUI Instructor #36480.

LMAO I defended the Insta-Buddy and im the bad guy but then sometimes I forget I dive for a living not for a vacation. I like this board its entertaining to say the least. the dive could have went like this and be posted somewhere else by the Insta-buddy (insta-buddy) I was on vacation last week and I got stuck with this newbie. The boat cap would not let me go solo and I was tired of baby sitting. the guy was a pretty good diver and i could see he wouldnt hurt himself so I ditched him and enjoyed my last dive of the trip.

Not the right thing to do but he is not here to defend himself. The Op could be right but some of you are only proping up the OP. If the OP was truly concerned that some peril had come to insta-buddy then a search and rescue should have begun way before 20 mins have passed.

The title to the thread is I knew it would happen. I would have found that guy before I let him stay underwater by himself for over 20 mins If i was concerned for his well being. I have certified over 500 divers and have never lost one yet. I don't teach just anyone I don't have to. If I don't think you'll be a good diver I pass. I get paid to dive so mabey I see it in a different light.

I will continue to dive and i enjoy teaching scuba. if you ever get to dive with one of my students You can be assured that they will be able to take care of you and themselves. I don't certify divers that would not be a good dive buddy to my son.

Hi Scubaflier,

I just want you to know that I'm not a religious man, but before I go to bed tonight I am going to get down on my knees and thank God you are not claiming to be a PADI instructor. DCBC would just never let me live it down!

Hi Scubaflier,

I just want you to know that I'm not a religious man, but before I go to bed tonight I am going to get down on my knees and thank God you are not claiming to be a PADI instructor. DCBC would just never let me live it down!

:rofl3: That is too funny! You could have mentioned me beside DCBC! Yes, the fact that I am a supporter of NAUI and that scubaflier is a NAUI instructor was not lost on me. We'll see how much longer he remains an instructor...

Saspotato, are you certain this is a troll? Perhaps I am gullible, but I find it disturbing that someone who identifies himself as NAUI Instructor #36480 on his profile would seem to advocate ditching a dive buddy in the Basic Scuba Discussions forum.

I found an interesting webpage at NAUI Worldwide Contact Us. Apparently you can email NAUI about their Ethics Quality Assurance. I am curious what they would think of NAUI Instructor #36480.

You think NAUI would actually do something if we all emailed them at the same time?

You think NAUI would actually do something if we all emailed them at the same time?

I hope the answer would be "yes." I fear the answer will be "no." There is only one way to find out. :)

The pre-dive check includes procedure for if you get separated (look for 2 min. then surface). Communication is essential and we need to get mutual agreement before we enter the water.

We can all learn from every dive. You both did not have agreement because you did not complete the pre-dive check with mutually agreed to separation procedure.

You assumed he understood proper separation procedure.

I would have told him that he did not follow proper separation procedures and that he created a hardship on you. Assuming is not a good practice. A complete pre-dive buddy check should be done on every dive because your life may depend on it.

I dove with three people recently. My regular dive buddy and another person. My buddy got cramps and I helped him, stopping for a safety stop, and surfacing properly where I stayed with him and made sure he was on shore safely. The other diver waived at us while we did our safety stop and continued to dive. I had 2000 psi in my tank and could not believe his lack of buddy diving courtesy. Even though he choose not to follow proper buddy diving procedures we followed his bubbles and made sure he surfaced and got to shore safely. I cannot control how others behave but I can make sure that I do the right thing even when others don't.

I would never dive with this other person as a buddy diver. Apparently he has problems getting buddy divers and solo's a lot. I understand why people don't buddy dive with him.

Originally Posted by coldwaterdufus
Well, I hoped it wouldn't happen but, on my 67th dive, it happen to me. My "insta" buddy left me on purpose ( what I found out later ). Only 2 of us diving. He's got approx 170 dives to my 67. 3 minutes into the dive, we were on a ledge at 48ft. I signal to him OK ? , he signals back OK. All is well. I look away for for no more than 30 seconds and, without moving from the ledge, look back and he's gone. Vis is maybe 20ft. I spent approx 2 minutes waiting in the same spot and looking around for him. He nevers comes back. I went to the surface, told the boat captain we got seperated. Captain says to wait on the surface and the buddy will show up and we can continue the dive. This is what I was taught to do. I floated for 10 minutes and he never showed up to get back together again. I then descended to about 20 ft along the shore for about 10 minutes, then I ended up terminating my dive as I was worried about him. I had over 1200 PSI left. I was on the boat for approx 20 minutes when he popped up. He said on the boat later that he just dropped down over the ledge and continued his dive solo, didn't bother looking for me. Boat Capt just rolled his eyes.
Yes, I know, I won't be diving with him again. And no, I never told him about what I thought about him leaving me, although I had asked where he had gone to. That's the only way I found out he dropped over the ledge. None of this was a problem as far as he was concerned. He had his dive, sure buggered up my dive.

Originally Posted by coldwaterdufus
Scubaflier: I knew somebody would find that it was my fault somehow. You ask about my responsibility in this dive. We discussed and agreed to our plan. Our plan was to go to 50ft, stay at 50ft and follow the shore line on our right until 1500 PSI and then to ascend to 30ft until 1000 PSI, then do a safety stop. We were doing exactly our plan, as I was taught to do.
I had been on the boat the day before, with others as well as him, having just met him that previous day. He was my buddy for 2 dives the previous day. Afterwards, he had said he enjoyed diving with me. He also agreed to buddy up and dive the next day as nobody else planned on diving that second day. So, we were buddies as we boarded the boat. We were both in agreement with that. I would never dive as a solo. So, in response, I never got on the boat as a solo.
the part I put in bold seems to preempt any predive planning that was made

What a joke I come on for entertainment I know that this is a place for wannabes and every time
you confirm my opinion of the clowns that are on here. it is entertaining. I dive and I dont dive with clowns and wannabes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom