Knowing when to call a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is pleasing that msg and daughter understand.

And to the others that will read this thread and look at things a bit differently.

It's not sport. It's life support.

Last edited:
I'm having a difficult time here Flot, are you feeling that two divers need to be at arms length from each other at all times? I have never witnessed a diving style like that and am just curious.

You need to be

• Close enough to your buddy that each of you can tell when the other is having a problem and
  • Close enough to render assistance in time to stop an annoyance from becoming a tragedy.
10' under isn't close enough to do either of these, since you can't see what's happening above the water and you can't safely rocket from 10' to 0' in a second or two.

While horizontal buddy distance is a different issue from leaving your buddy on the surface, you can answer your own question: "How long could you last and how far could you get if you were breathing hard, exhaled and discovered that there was nothing to inhale?" Long enough to look around, locate your buddy, get to him, get his attention, ask for an air share and actually perform it?

I looked at your profile and it seems to actually say nothing at all of use for the purpose of understanding your background and or the area that you enjoy diving.
My profile is intentionally vague because I value my privacy.

flots.

A BPW will solve that "you're going to die" syndrome....

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Lets see if my thoughts are anywhere close to being accurate, a diver having submerged to 10 feet after taking two or perhaps three breaths at that depth has probably had no nitrogen loading whatsoever so if he or she exhaled a rapid return to the surface would be of no jeopardy to him at that point. We were taught to asses the mental condition with reference to emotional distress by watching the air column as well as the movements being made by the suspected diver. If one diver is submerged while the other is at the surface being buoyant the submerged diver is likely to be the one in jeopardy of drowning. When approaching a stressed diver it used to be taught that a careful approach is in line as the diver may well try to climb on top of you to get out of the water and to safety so a method taught is to submerge beneath the diver as he wont follow by submerging himself and then approaching from behind and below allowing you to tilt him backwards and establishing his or her positive buoyancy thus eliminating the eminent threat of drowning. If the girls issue was one of a physical nature she would likely be lying over face down in comparison to being upright and thrashing in an attempt to elevate herself. In this case neither characteristic was noted so it was assumed she was at the surface with perhaps a minor issue which is what seemed to be the case in the end. This is how I would assess the situation based on the classes and experience I have had but I will gladly stand corrected if newer theories have been determined safer as it has been a while between my classes and today. As for my privacy I don't give a poop as to my diving history and if someone figures where I am then bring the beer, chows at 6...

My profile is intentionally vague because I value my privacy.

Where I value privacy I leave the fields blank. A personal choice...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom