Komodo North and South

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there Indo-people.

We're thinking of finally taking the plunge :facepalm:and going to Komodo. We've been a little nervous about the current :p situation but as we get more experience in Indo we're getting more confident and relaxed in currents.

The boat we usually go on (Mermaid) apparently doesn't go to South Komodo. Does it matter? What's the difference?

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

I never been to the South, and only once to the North so I prolly won't be correct but I think there are more famous dive sites in the North. Like the Cauldron, Crystal Rock, Castle Rock...

I never been to the South, and only once to the North so I prolly won't be correct but I think there are more famous dive sites in the North. Like the Cauldron, Crystal Rock, Castle Rock...

Yes they are famous and the most dived since most day boats from LBJ go to those andany more. However the south is totally BOMB. Cannibal Rock and Manta Alley the most, but there are many others that are spectacular, probably my fave is Eagle Rock a submerged pinnacle in Horse Bay. It's amazing with no surface left untouched by a hard coral, soft coral and such. Then even though bill isn't a fan of muck Torpedo Alley in the same bay can be off the hook for macro. There even more great sites in the South, I've had one of my best manta dives in Manta Alley just hooked in to the alley while 25+ manta just cruised almost motionless all around us within inches feeding in the current. Then there was the dive at Pink Beach that I just had to stop taking photos so I could just observe and absorb the beauty.
Then in the Padar area still in the South there are some incredible sites, 3 Sisters which is 3 submerged pinnacles is an amazing site again totally covered with bio-growth.
If I was rich I would charter a boat and just about never leave the sites in the South.

The big difference is when & where the mantas are hanging out. In August time they like to hang out in the south, like Manta Alley. In December time, they like to hang out in the north, like Taka Makassar.

In the south the water can be a bit cooler since the sites are next to Indian Ocean. There are some world class dive sites in the south like Cannibal Rock, Yellow Wall, Crinoid Canyon and of course the Manta Alley. Also don’t miss the night dive in Pink Beach. During surface interval you can enjoy the Komodo dragon parade on the South Rinca beach.

74446501-02E2-4F32-BC1F-C2CD7FA71029.jpeg

Yes they are famous and the most dived since most day boats from LBJ go to those andany more. However the south is totally BOMB. Cannibal Rock and Manta Alley the most, but there are many others that are spectacular, probably my fave is Eagle Rock a submerged pinnacle in Horse Bay. It's amazing with no surface left untouched by a hard coral, soft coral and such. Then even though bill isn't a fan of muck Torpedo Alley in the same bay can be off the hook for macro. There even more great sites in the South, I've had one of my best manta dives in Manta Alley just hooked in to the alley while 25+ manta just cruised almost motionless all around us within inches feeding in the current. Then there was the dive at Pink Beach that I just had to stop taking photos so I could just observe and absorb the beauty.
Then in the Padar area still in the South there are some incredible sites, 3 Sisters which is 3 submerged pinnacles is an amazing site again totally covered with bio-growth.
If I was rich I would charter a boat and just about never leave the sites in the South.

Looks like you type a lot faster than me. :D

I fully agree with your comments on the south. Simply you don’t want to miss it.

In the north, Batu Bolong is pretty good to see. Of course Taka Makassar (Makassar Reef) for Manta during November-December. You can shoot through the Shotgun (shallow channel between Gili Lawa Darat & Gili Lawa Laut) & hanging out at the bowl end to watch for pelagic feeding frenzy.

Bill - Dirtfarmer and Dan_T’s comments are on the mark. A few comments, though. In August, mantas are not restricted to the southern Komodo. I have seen them on numerous times at Taka Makassar, in May, June, July, and August. It’s possoible to get skunked without any mantas, northern or southern sites. For sure, northern Komodo is crowded. In popular northern sites, 8-10 LoBs and many day boats. In general, the south is not that crowded, but this is changing as well.

I am sure that you will have a great time in northern Komodo. It’s definitely worth return trips, and perhaps on one of the return trips try to make it to southern Komodo. Currents, winds, lunar cycle, and the diurnal tidal cycle all play into richness of marine life at any one dive site.

Ya, I got skunk in Taka Makassar in August with Mermaid I (3rd trip to Komodo & highly recommended), but got lucky in Manta Alley with them. We took the 11 day roundtrip cruise from Bali to Komodo & back to Bali.

I have only been in Komodo 3x. The 1st time was in June & saw mantas in Manta Alley. We didn’t even bother to go to Taka Makassar. The 2nd time was in December & saw manta in Taka Makassar and didn’t bother to go to Manta Alley due to bad weather (windy & big waves).

Last edited:
Personally I am not tied to any one creature that I "must" see. Why set myself up for possible failure? It's all good, though of course, some dives are "better" than others.

I recall once in RA, being at a manta site, no mantas were around at that time, I was looking at a tiny community of small fish that were as curious about me as I was of them. I remember those little innocuous guys better than I remember any manta from that dive.

- Bill

On the r/t cruise from Bali, did you go to South Tala, 3 Sisters, or Serikaya/Gebah (western Komodo).?

Back
Top Bottom