Ladies I need your help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Find a jeweller that you're interested in buying the ring from and explain your situation. S/he will hopefully offer you at least two choices:

1. Multisizer Ring Guage: this works similar to a cable tie, except I don't think they lock in place.

2. Plastic ring sizers: these are very inexpensive sets of rings sizers. Your jeweller could lend you the whole set so you could try them on your fiance's finger while she sleeps. You may not get it dead on, but you'll be in the ballpark of a half size or so.

Most women are between 6 to 9. (And yes, I am a jeweller. :))

Good luck!

"Most women are between 6 to 9. (And yes, I am a jeweller. )"
They want the 6 but not the 9? :)...Good friend is a top notch jew kinda guy but he is so backloged that nothing can happen for several months. There is an old family ring that she can't keep but must pass on. So ladies, should I get a rock and have the ring duplicated but with more ice? Should I get something totaly diferent?....College should offer a womes studys class that is what is seems, just to help us silly guys out. Y'all are so complicated!

Take her bowling and see what size the finger holes are in the ball she uses?
<shrug>
Joe

This is why I asked the girls. Bowling huh? LOL

As for the family ring or a new one, it really depends on her. Does she like tradition and family? If so, go with the family ring. Is she more modern? Does she like color? It's a difficult choice to make for someone -there are SO many styles out there to choose from...

If not the family ring, then decide if she'd prefer you to pick something out or would she rather go shopping for a setting with you after the engagement. -Like I said, they'll usually put it in a temporary setting for the presentation.

If you're picking it out yourself, take a look at the style of jewelry she wears now (or at least her clothing). Or take her out to a jewelry store to shop for an Xmas gift for your mom :wink: and see what she's drawn to? -No doubt it's a difficult decision. I chose my own ring and that was hard enough!

There's a lot of help available in a forum on www.diamondtalk.com -the people there are helpful with everything from presentation to settings (and of course picking a diamond). Looks like the look of the forum has changed (and is a little confusing) since I hung out there, but the same people seem to be there, so you might want to give them a try or at least read the archives.

Let us know what happens!

You can simply compare her finger to your own, easy enough to do. My ring finger is about the size of my husband's pinky.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
You can simply compare her finger to your own, easy enough to do. My ring finger is about the size of my husband's pinky.
Ber :lilbunny:

AH! Forgot about the universal sizer!!! You're so right Ber :wink:. Around Christmas time (Christmase eve or day to be exact) men would come flooding into the store trying rings on their pinky. Funny how in most cases it is that way :wink:

Most jewerly stores will size the ring once for free but after that there is a charge. I would go ahead and get the ring & have it sized after you give it to her. Otherwise you could end up having to have it sized twice & paying for the 2nd sizing.

OK from the man's perspective you can always do what I did. I went to Target and gothte biggest CZ that I could find that I knew would fit over her glove. Put the ring in a clam shell and made up a laminated card that said "Will You Marry Me?" In smaller letters it said 'If yes turn card over". On the back was the message "The Real Ring is on the Boat". The real ring size was off a little but when we got back we had it re-sized.

In case you were wondering we were at 60 fsw in Cozumel, it was videotaped and teh answer was yes. Who could resist a proposal like that? (side note - we honeymooned in Fiji).

Went shopping today just to see. Found an awsome 1.6 ct stone and a setting I liked but some how I have to find out about the family ring first. Cripes this is tough. Think I'll just stick with the BC idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom