LDS VS Internet Sale!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are these the same ones (LDS). Better find some new friends. Dont need this type.

Yes! I know! Same people.. We didnt like the overly snobby chain scuba shop and opted for the Mom and Pop shop.

I dont see any need to use them for our main purchases. Even Gander Mountain down the street is offering some great prices.

Friends don't let friends dive Al 100's.

He was not trying to gig you. The MSRP of the Aluminum 100's is about $300.00. Most shops who have them can't get rid of them so you can pick them up for closer to $200.00 now.

If you need the extra gas, steel is the proper way to go. Lighter and superior buoyancy.

Then why are you looking for a bigger tank?

You may not care about hurting yourself but what if someone you really care about gets injured or worse, drowns, trying to save you? And all because you refused to properly plan and execute your dive because you didn't consider that to be the "fun part" of diving?

Where has it ever been said that he doesn't plan his dive or that he dives dangerously? He is dangerous because you saw a 15 sec clip of him goofing off for the camera - hold his breath and float up... OMG - how rediculous can you be?

He would never 1) run out of air 2) penetrate anything when he doesn't feel comfortable or 3)ignore my dive - ie. dive when I didn't feel like it or so forth. For our recreational diving - what other issues are going to happen? Equipment failure is the key issue that could happen to us for the most part - for that we are prepared and would abort the dive when necessary.

RE: TANK: Even at best, when he swims beside me stroke for stroke - he uses more air - which is why he wants a bigger tank that our LDS doesn't seem to want to sell me because of their own ideas that steel is better. My SAC sits around 23 - so that is a fair number for someone who doesn't make a living doing this.

When he said his computer will have friends - he doesn't mean another person's or my dive computer - you can't tell me that most you don't dive two computers - that is just simple back up.

But as I recall a forum is for people to express their opinions - and this started about LDS v Internet.

When he said his computer will have friends - he doesn't mean another person's or my dive computer - you can't tell me that most you don't dive two computers - that is just simple back up.

But as I recall a forum is for people to express their opinions - and this started about LDS v Internet.

Just to follow this tangent, because it directly relates to the LDS topic....

Do people actually think that deco profiles are so exact of a science that a buddy pair diving the same rough profile could not deco out and ascend on a shared computer in the event of some sort of instrument failure...?

One agency even goes so far as to make redundant depth/bt instrumentation entirely optional. Granted, there are a few other caveats to this, but after all, you planned your dive - right? And, you stayed within NDL, so the dive is over anyways - right?

Oh thats right... these are the same folks who are trying to sell you that 'spare' $300+ piece of gear....

The bread and butter of the LDS is the entry level and once a year diver... If your any sort of 'active diver', they can't make any real money off you unless you refresh your gear regularaly, or you somehow bite into the 'go pro' argument, then your just an indentured servant... It's alot worse in the midwest, where they think you 'owe' them your business... Yet they don't go out of their way to bring any value into your dive equation; they are focued on the training mill, and the high dollar trips, so they can dive for free... Not facilitating and organizing local dive trips and outings. Thats what the Internet is for....

A recent thread over on TDS had a priceless example..., a shop selling a light for easily 2x MSRP... Thats right - OVER...! ***...?

So..., lets recap...
1. OW Training? LDS or Internet (SDI)
2. Check out dives? LDS at the Quarry, or do a referral someplace warm...
3. Gear - Internet if you know what you want, or check out a shop - Make them earn your business, and give them a chance to compete and come close; sweeten the deal, with service breaks or free fills; if they don't wanna, go online. But just shopping and tieing up the LDS only to go online, thats bad form...
4. Air/Nitrox Fills - The Quarry, or a shop who apprecaites your business
5. Development - Find a local dive club, the more active the better... They will likely have independant instructors who can mentor you and help you get more cards than you know what to do with, if thats your thing...

The bread and butter of the LDS is the entry level and once a year diver... If your any sort of 'active diver', they can't make any real money off you unless you refresh your gear regularaly, or you somehow bite into the 'go pro' argument, then your just an indentured servant... It's alot worse in the midwest, where they think you 'owe' them your business... .

This makes no sense. Cant make money off active diver ? Make money on once a year diver?? Midwest???

This makes no sense. Cant make money off active diver ? Make money on once a year diver?? Midwest???

I'm sure they can, they just don't want to.... how would an LDS make money off someone beyond OW; get them out diving... organize dives, foster mentoring, let them gain experience, be the trusted advisor and go to person, establish a relationship...

They want to sell you an exotic trip, a refresher class, and yearly regulator overhauls for the big trip.... And then god forbid you start asking about tech,... but thats a whole 'nother set of issues.....

get them out diving... organize dives, foster mentoring, let them gain experience, be the trusted advisor and go to person, establish a relationship...

WOW!! it looks like you need to find a new LDS. The LDS 's that i have been involved with all want to do this.

Where has it ever been said that he doesn't plan his dive or that he dives dangerously? He is dangerous because you saw a 15 sec clip of him goofing off for the camera - hold his breath and float up... OMG - how rediculous can you be?

He would never 1) run out of air 2) penetrate anything when he doesn't feel comfortable or 3)ignore my dive - ie. dive when I didn't feel like it or so forth. For our recreational diving - what other issues are going to happen? Equipment failure is the key issue that could happen to us for the most part - for that we are prepared and would abort the dive when necessary.

RE: TANK: Even at best, when he swims beside me stroke for stroke - he uses more air - which is why he wants a bigger tank that our LDS doesn't seem to want to sell me because of their own ideas that steel is better. My SAC sits around 23 - so that is a fair number for someone who doesn't make a living doing this.

Hey, you gotta dive with the jacka...er...guy. If you feel comfortable diving with someone that doesn't take the sport very seriously, more power to you.

I don't doubt that he uses more air than you. I use as much as my wife even though I dive much more often and have much better form. She's a lot smaller. She uses less air because of it. He probably needs a larger tank when he dives with you.

As far as the thread, his original post was running his LDS down for giving YOU very good advise which you chose not to take. He then came back and bragged about how he didn't think understanding tables and planning dives was important because he was going to trust his computer. My mistake was failure to understand that he thinks an armload of computers makes up for lack of dive planning. Sorry about that.

Enjoy your lives together. Either you'll get tired of his clown act or you two are a match made in heaven.

As far as the thread, his original post was running his LDS down for giving YOU very good advise which you chose not to take. He then came back and bragged about how he didn't think understanding tables and planning dives was important because he was going to trust his computer. My mistake was failure to understand that he thinks an armload of computers makes up for lack of dive planning. Sorry about that.

Point being... I knew he didn't want steel, so if they wanted a sale they would have sold me what I want... I know they have it - I am looking at it. But they really sent me away telling me I don't want that... SO if someone does their own research and wants something for their own reason - doesn't it seem fit that if the LDS wants to stay in business that they would make the sale. Kuudos for them - they advised me, but they could have still made the sale since I didn't change my mind.

LDS should not treat people like they don't know what they want. I have been cert since 91 - Haven't dove much for the time - but I stayed up to date and know my gear.

:D

Back
Top Bottom