LDS VS Internet Sale!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So back to the Seaquest Latitude BC. The price was $224.95 when I bought it on 3/29/08. This morning, I found it now is $199.95. Of course I emailed LP and asked for a $25.00 refund.

I just checked my inbox and there is an email form LB offering me a $25.00 store credit.

Now, most (and I mean most, not all) of the LDS's that I have been to here in the greater Chicago area would not deal when I went in to make a purchase. Some have shown me a very haughty attitude when I wouldn't go along with their "recommended" item instead of the item that I wanted.

Their loss, not mine.

What I find funny are all the poeple that take diving so seriously. I goof off underwater because its what I like to do. I am sure I drive a bit differently than you do as well. Videos of that will be up soon.

I have no problem with people cracking jokes. Its funny and I know I am goofing off. If I took diving as seriously as some of you, I wouldnt dive.

As for the color options, its all up to each individual as to what they want to do with their $$ some of you wish to waste it needlessly and I certainly do not.

I did try it on at LDS so I ordered the exact same size and it fits great.

I'd love them to see this and put two and two together. If I were them I'd show you the door and tell you to fill your tanks someplace else. I'd refuse to do business with you.

So the guy goes to the next dive shop for his fills and buys other stuff, smaller accessories there.
Original dive shop instead of making some money makes none at all. And still moans about poverty despite idiotic ideas like that.

What I find funny are all the poeple that take diving so seriously. I goof off underwater because its what I like to do. I am sure I drive a bit differently than you do as well. Videos of that will be up soon.

I have no problem with people cracking jokes. Its funny and I know I am goofing off. If I took diving as seriously as some of you, I wouldnt dive.

As for the color options, its all up to each individual as to what they want to do with their $$ some of you wish to waste it needlessly and I certainly do not.

Just one point.. I saw your video from Cozumel I guess. You were the guy in the yellow shorts, right?

Of course it is important to have fun while you dive - after all, it is why we dive. But it is also important to know how to dive proficiently. It is useful in lowering your SAC rate and it is useful in keeping your self safe.

More proficient divers will tend to assume a more horizontal trim while swimming underwater. This reduces the amount of drag and allows you to be more efficient in travelling from one place to another. This efficiency improves your SAC rate. Your gear (including tanks) have a very definite effect on your trim. Steel tanks trim out differently than aluminum tanks.

More proficient divers also tend to minimize the amount of weight that they need to carry on land. If nothing else, it reduces the amount fatigue you experience as you travel to and from the beach. Less weight on land also can potentially be useful in helping you negotiate treacherous surf. In general, steel tanks allow you to have less total weight on land when compared to aluminum tanks.

On to the point.. making choices based on color is fine, assuming all things are equal. However, in this case, all things are not equal. Maybe some of the other folks were a little indelicate in how they tried to make this point but it would be to your benefit to see past it and extract the useful message.

Incidentally, I noticed that you were one of the few who did not wear exposure protection on that dive. I haven't done a lot of warm water diving but even when I did do Maui (~81 degrees) a couple of years ago, I wore a pretty substantial wetsuit. Anyway, just a though.

Just one point.. I saw your video from Cozumel I guess. You were the guy in the yellow shorts, right?

Of course it is important to have fun while you dive - after all, it is why we dive. But it is also important to know how to dive proficiently. It is useful in lowering your SAC rate and it is useful in keeping your self safe.

More proficient divers will tend to assume a more horizontal trim while swimming underwater. This reduces the amount of drag and allows you to be more efficient in travelling from one place to another. This efficiency improves your SAC rate. Your gear (including tanks) have a very definite effect on your trim. Steel tanks trim out differently than aluminum tanks.

More proficient divers also tend to minimize the amount of weight that they need to carry on land. If nothing else, it reduces the amount fatigue you experience as you travel to and from the beach. Less weight on land also can potentially be useful in helping you negotiate treacherous surf. In general, steel tanks allow you to have less total weight on land when compared to aluminum tanks.

On to the point.. making choices based on color is fine, assuming all things are equal. However, in this case, all things are not equal. Maybe some of the other folks were a little indelicate in how they tried to make this point but it would be to your benefit to see past it and extract the useful message.

Incidentally, I noticed that you were one of the few who did not wear exposure protection on that dive. I haven't done a lot of warm water diving but even when I did do Maui (~81 degrees) a couple of years ago, I wore a pretty substantial wetsuit. Anyway, just a though.

OK.. you did approach it much more tactfully but what everyone else is doing here is assuming that I have an issue with cutting my dive 4-10 min shorter than others.

Horizontal and holding your hands together and being all "perfect joe diver" is not #1 on my list. I get about 30 dives a year. Based on that, I want to goof off and have fun as much as possible during those 30 dives. Not worried at all about how my profile is in the water. Again, my sac and dac are more stats and for fun for me than to actually worry and plan an elaborate dive based on now much air I will consume at various depths.

I dont do this for a living. Its 100% recreational for me. Meaning I am spending $ I could be putting towards another engine build for my other activities but instead choose to have more of a family fun experience.

Dive tables? I understand them but once you are spoiled on a computer, out the window that concept goes. Sure, my computer may fail. Granted.. but by the time my comp fails, it will have buddies to back it up.. I love me some computers.

Considering I have been sponsored by DuPont and have a $700 paint job on a computer, I must say that I prefer to bring my other hobbies and mix them all together.. I will start with all black equipment then eventually start custom painting my own stuff. Its just what I do with everything from bikes to computers.

The beauty here is that we are all different and get different things out of all the dives.. Camera down there? I want to be the one people at taking pics of.. I will ham it up and enjoy myself. Thats my focus. Not marine life. Not other divers. Not sharks.. Just me, having fun. .and watching my ever depleteing air..

I have no beef with anyone here but wish people would realize that some of us have a clue what we are doing and just choose to do things differently...
You may buy $1500 worth of video cards for your computer and call it a day. I may do the same and start tweaking them till they are certainly on the verge of failure, minimizing their lifespan due to the extra heat stress I have put on them and gain another few frames per second or some extra marks on benchmarks but thats again the difference in people.. some of us dont care about things that others of us will nit pick.

OK.. you did approach it much more tactfully but what everyone else is doing here is assuming that I have an issue with cutting my dive 4-10 min shorter than others.

Then why are you looking for a bigger tank?

Dive tables? I understand them but once you are spoiled on a computer, out the window that concept goes. Sure, my computer may fail. Granted.. but by the time my comp fails, it will have buddies to back it up.. I love me some computers.

I think these three sentences say it best.

Considering I have been sponsored by DuPont and have a $700 paint job on a computer...

Is DuPont going to pick up the cost of treating you for DCS after you so expertly demonstrate your "understanding" of tables? This is certainly a fun sport but is definitely not the kind of sport where you can constantly clown around and act and perform in an unsafe manner. You put yourself at risk and you put those that you dive with at risk.

You may not care about hurting yourself but what if someone you really care about gets injured or worse, drowns, trying to save you? And all because you refused to properly plan and execute your dive because you didn't consider that to be the "fun part" of diving?

When you can buy air over the internet and meet a better class of real divers I will give up the LDS! Until then the LDS where I want to be, its just too much fun! What's wrong with yours?:confused:

Horizontal and holding your hands together and being all "perfect joe diver" is not #1 on my list. I get about 30 dives a year. Based on that, I want to goof off and have fun as much as possible during those 30 dives. Not worried at all about how my profile is in the water. Again, my sac and dac are more stats and for fun for me than to actually worry and plan an elaborate dive based on now much air I will consume at various depths.

I dont do this for a living. Its 100% recreational for me. Meaning I am spending $ I could be putting towards another engine build for my other activities but instead choose to have more of a family fun experience.

Considering I have been sponsored by DuPont and have a $700 paint job on a computer, I must say that I prefer to bring my other hobbies and mix them all together.. I will start with all black equipment then eventually start custom painting my own stuff. Its just what I do with everything from bikes to computers.

The beauty here is that we are all different and get different things out of all the dives.. Camera down there? I want to be the one people at taking pics of.. I will ham it up and enjoy myself. Thats my focus. Not marine life. Not other divers. Not sharks.. Just me, having fun. .and watching my ever depleteing air..

I have no beef with anyone here but wish people would realize that some of us have a clue what we are doing and just choose to do things differently...
You may buy $1500 worth of video cards for your computer and call it a day. I may do the same and start tweaking them till they are certainly on the verge of failure, minimizing their lifespan due to the extra heat stress I have put on them and gain another few frames per second or some extra marks on benchmarks but thats again the difference in people.. some of us dont care about things that others of us will nit pick.
The difference between those who care and those who don't is often linked back to experience and reviewing of accident analysis. Your buddies computer is just that, HIS. If you two have had different dive profiles (and that's about true 99% of the time) you run risk of decompression sickness. What happens on the next dive? Do you simply not go, or do you now go with only one dive computer?

Also, you have an implied responsibility as a diver to preserve marine life, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom